Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Adelaide vs Carol Nash

• 14-01-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My insurance is up for renewal at the start of Feb, Axa who i am with wont cover me on the bike i want so id be switching to either Adelaide or Carol Nash. Both cost around the same amount, im just wondering if anyone knows of any reason to go with one over the other.

I read on here someone saying Carol Nash's foreign breakdown cover is a disaster but then Adelaide may not be any better, in my experience with breakdown cover on cars it often leaves a lot to be desired.

Id say making a claim is where you would really see what companies are like, anyone have any good or bad experiences with either?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

They are both just brokers and underwritten by someone.
    Adelaide are underwritten by RSA Insurance. I recently had a claim in and it was painless. RSA processed everything pretty damn fast. I got calls then they said they would call etc... Nothing to complain about.

Ive also used breakdown assist with Adelaide and it was grand. Van was out to me within an hour and the bike was dropped to my mechanic.

Never dealt with Carol Nash or whoever underwrites for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've been with both. As far as I remember, with Carol Nash the breakdown is with the AA. So you'd assume that would be better than what Adelaide use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

IIRC Adelaide doesn't offer breakdown cover to bikes over 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've been with both but have never had to use them so don't know which is better. Carole Nash do give DNA+ with their policies, but don't know if the Gardaí have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Chippy01 wrote: »
    IIRC Adelaide doesn't offer breakdown cover to bikes over 10 years old.

15 years on my policy.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

15 years on my policy.

Same on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the info, i think im going to go with Carol Nash as Adelaide wont cover me to drive other bikes if the bike im insured on is less than 351cc which my current bike is and id like to be able to test drive bikes legally.

Yeah, being covered on other bikes is a brilliant thing to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I really miss the multiple bike cover from Carole Nash. I have five old yokes as well as a Bandit. Reluctantly changed to AXA so I could pay by the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Carol Nash wouldnt even insure my ZZR unless it was Data Tagged!
    Is Data Tagging even available in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

blade1 wrote: »

Must get nicked a lot for underwriters to make that a requirement.

blade1 wrote: »

The kit is included in the premium price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cienciano wrote: »
    The kit is included in the premium price.

Thats the DNA kit Cienciano, a bit more to the Data Tagging.
    http://datatag.co.uk/motorcycles.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

The main reason I'm with Adelaide is that they allow me to pay in monthly installments. None of the others I tried offered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Do Adelaide cover European breakdowns or is it just Ireland/UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Blondie919 wrote: »
    The main reason I'm with Adelaide is that they allow me to pay in monthly installments. None of the others I tried offered this.

Liberty does as I paid that way for last 4 years.

hondavfr wrote: »
    Do Adelaide cover European breakdowns or is it just Ireland/UK?
    They do european

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Just my "2 cents".

Carole Nash called me about two months ago, offered to insure me on both my bikes for somewhere in the region of 300-380e (can't remember), quite a reduction from what the cost was with Liberty (over 400e for just my main bike).

I said I'd call them back in January when my renewal on my main bike would be up.

So I did, yesterday. But, I called Adeleide first, just to see. They offered me fully comp. on both bikes, breakdown in Ireland & UK, allowed to ride other bikes, etc, for 330e + 30e (their fee).

Called Carole Nash as promised, and this time they quoted me 850e. They had no recollection of my previous quote. WTF? I have never paid anywhere near that amount, even when I started out. Not sure what they're smoking, but it doesn't sit right with me...

Told them that Liberty and Adeleide would get my business. They said they'd call back in a while with a better price, but never did.

Adeleide got my business. The only bad thing I'll say about Adeleide so far, is that they will give you a quote of X, but charge you X + 30e. You're told about the 30e bullsh*t in a longish pre-recorded T&C-style message you need to listen (or I'm assuming they did, I barely listened to it). When I saw the charge, I almost told them where to shove it for not being transparent about it when speaking in person. I didn't though because they were still much cheaper than Liberty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Adelaide €400 were €100 cheaper than Carol Nash who were €80 cheaper than Liberty. AXA wouldn't insure me!
    Full A license 8 years, off a bike for last four. Full no claims on the Car, married with kids, over 40. On a Suzuki GS500F, hardly high risk stuff I would have thought. I just laughed at the AXA sales rep when he asked me if I was willing to take an assessment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I rang carol nash the other day and they had lost my quote somehow, they then gave me a quote for around 850 on a cbr600f, i told them the previously quoted me less and they didnt seem to care, then i said Adelide quoted me around 600, the guy said he would ring the underwriter and see what he could do and put me on hold. About 15 seconds later he was back on saying 597 is the best he could do. I asked if they would do better if Adelide would beat it and he said there is no harm in giving it a shot, im hoping they will do it for closer to 500, Adelide said 570 is the best they can do. Axa wont cover me on any sports bikes without 2 years ncb, maybe they class the GS500 as a sports bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement