Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality, Portable, Headphones

• 14-01-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to use an amazon gift card or one4all card on. I listen to quite alot of music so I'm looking for quality headphones, however I'm going to be travelling a bit this year so I'd like them to be portable/foldable and not be too bulky.

I really like the look of AKG K551 but they seem gigantic when worn which is slightly off putting.

Logitech UE6000 seems to have a decent rep but must check out more on their audio quality

Finally - I really like the look of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBL - these seem to fold up perfectly, don't seem too large and from what I've heard AT seem to be quality headphones - just wondering if anybody here has experience or recommendations based on the 3 I've mentioned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Budget and music preferences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

marko93 wrote: »
    Budget and music preferences?
    Budget would be about €180 if going through amazon as I have a voucher that I'd like to use.

I listen to an array of music really but mostly electro, both chillout and house - plenty of beats but I'm not looking for a pair of beats that are simply bass intensive, that said there tends to be brass used in the chilled stuff I listen to which is where you can normally tell the difference between decent and poor headphones.

Also a sucker for acoustic & piano with just vocals.

I really like the look of the Audio Technica ATH-M50XBL - that's in the lead atm and within budget. Would love to hear peoples opinions on them.

I had M50s once upon a time and I loved them. The detachable cable is a major plus imo, so if you like them go for it they are a solid pair. Another contender to consider is Sennheiser HD25

marko93 wrote: »
    I had M50s once upon a time and I loved them. The detachable cable is a major plus imo, so if you like them go for it they are a solid pair. Another contender to consider is Sennheiser HD25
    Yeah, they seem to have everything I'm looking for but said I'd fire a thread up and see if there were any brands/models I'd overlooked.

I'm not a fan of the look of the Sennheisers - the headband looks like it would annoy me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Go with the ATH M-50, you won't regret. You can always upgrade from them, but I don't know a person who didn't like them. I love good vocals and there is something in ATH cans about vocals

• Advertisement

docentore wrote: »
    Go with the ATH M-50, you won't regret. You can always upgrade from them, but I don't know a person who didn't like them. I love good vocals and there is something in ATH cans about vocals
    Yeah I'm 99% sure I'll get them, just waiting on a gift card to come since Christmas....that's another story!

The K551s are on sale on Amazon atm for a very reasonable price but the cans on them are gigantic - they look nice but just too large for my liking which is why I think the M-50s look better - really love the navy/brown leather combo too

D'Agger wrote: »
    Yeah, they seem to have everything I'm looking for but said I'd fire a thread up and see if there were any brands/models I'd overlooked.

I'm not a fan of the look of the Sennheisers - the headband looks like it would annoy me!

Well I have to say from using both, the headband is comfy, you can just leave it closed if you so desire. Were the M50 wins for me is comfort, the bigger cups are just brilliant imo.

As for the K550/1 they are gigantic, I always see a lad in Maynooth roaming around with them on.

My money is certainly on the M50s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Another +1 for the M50x's - great set of cans. My Senn 650s haven't been touched in months. Great sound and very comfortable.

Sound for the responses lads, mind made up on this one now so hopefully I'll get the funds sorted in the coming days and place the order Monday :)

Just to update on this - I ordered the ATH-M50 and they were delivered yesterday.

Haven't had too much time to use them but got a couple of tracks played on them last night and I'm very happy - their noise cancellation is really good, they fit really well and are quite comfortable, very happy with the cups covering the ears fully - definitely produces increased comfort for me anyway!

They're slightly bigger than I thought they'd be but the build quality is good, they're not flimsy and they seem quite sturdy whilst also being flexible and easy to rotate/pack away.

The bass isn't too much which I really like - I've tried beats a few times and this was something that annoyed me so glad to have what seems to me, to be very balanced sound. Overall, from the few tracks that I listened to with them, I thought they performed really well, the below song in particular I really enjoyed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Always good to have a happy outcome :)

Advertisement