Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with translation please

• 14-01-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to translate the following 'it's not about the destination, it's the journey that matters' or something along those lines. There is probably a saying already which covers this but I cant find it?

Any help would be most appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Only one that strikes my mind is the obvious one, guessing you have already discounted it

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yeah seen that but its not really what I am looking for.

Basically its to encourage people to enjoy and learn from their journey rather being solely focussed on the end goal.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Looking at cultural attitudes, extrapolated from the language and a small bit of historical knowledge, I don't think there is an equivalent here.

Irish people traditionally lived fairly hand-to-mouth so looking at the bigger picture in terms of "life's long journey" etc. wasn't common-place and that's reflected in the proverbs and náthanna cainte that were/are used. Also, neither the journey nor the end would have been considered particularly enjoyable, aside from the few festive periods.

I'm afraid you're looking to put a square peg in a round hole in doing so but you could have a look at some work-related phrases that might be usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Not exactly what you were looking for but here's a few approximations:

Giorraíonn beirt bóthar.
    Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.
    Is libh an saol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭pandoraj09

Kind of literally: Ní hé deireadh an aistir ( or turais ) atá tábhachtach, ach an t-aistear ( or turas ) é féin....
    Doesn't sound too bad literally translated....

or

Is tábhachtaí go mór an turas ná an ceannscríbe...means that the journey is more important than the destination...A bit shorter and sounds like a seanfhocal but isn't as far as I know.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Snag Darach

Maybe this??

Is mó an bóthar ná a cheann.

(reworked from pandora above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I got 2 options... what are your opinions on these:

Níl an ceann scríbe chomh tabhactach leis an aistear

Better one:
    Is tábhachtaí an aistear ná a cheann scríbe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

RoboRat wrote: »
    I got 2 options... what are your opinions on these:

Níl an ceann scríbe chomh tabhactach leis an aistear

Better one:
    Is tábhachtaí an aistear ná a cheann scríbe.

They would be good direct translations.
    An t-aistear.... in the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'm not aware of any saying myself. As Hullabaloo expertly explained, we weren't all that bothered with life's questions and such, when having to travel any considerable distance was both incredibly difficult and almost exclusively necessary just to get by.

Advertisement