Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtown School to become public?

Options
  • 14-01-2015 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭

Heard that on reasonably good authority yesterday. Anyone know about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I heard about it also, A number of former private schools across the country have entered the public education system due to decrease in the number of students in private education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

This was decided a while ago was it not? A number of kids in my daughters class (6th class) have told her they are going there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Interesting, I guess numbers have dwindled during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Brendão wrote: »
    This was decided a while ago was it not? A number of kids in my daughters class (6th class) have told her they are going there next year.

Maybe it was but yesterday was the first I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

One of my nephews is supposed to be going next September when this comes in. As I understand it it is now free but to avail of any of the after hours stuff such as supervised study, sports, school trips etc there is a fee of €2K (!!!!).

It seems to me that this is having your cake and eating it. I can't imagine anyone who doesn't have the €2K to spare is going to put their kid into a situation where they will be treated as second class. It means the school will now get full capitation grants from the department but they can carry on as before with the ski-ing trips and give a big discount on previous years' fees.

Crafty or a blatant abuse of the system?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its about 450 euro if you are on the basic 9-4 day pupil tariff I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Hope they won't drown in that swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Is this not the announcement? From last April so has been out there a while.

http://www.newtownschool.ie/announcement/

Advertisement