Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

settle an argument...

Options
  • 14-01-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

In general, which usually works out dearer, 1st or 2nd fix? 1st fix is done and have paid 1650, just wondering would it be impossible to get someone to 2nd fix for 1350? Nothing special to be done, light fittings etc. We also have generator box. We might need someone else to do 2nd fix but is it unreasonable to wan it done for 1350, including 7 outside lights?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Impossible to say, depends on many variables such as the installation, number of points, length of cable runs, number of cables, type of cables, overall design and type of second fix equipment selected/ specified.

Most Reistered Electrical Contractors would be reluctant to finish someone else's work. Generally they would not be able to certify same. There are procedures for this, but these only apply in exceptional circumstances such as the electrician leaving the country before the work is completed or dropping dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭086lavey

Had your electrician a price in for first and second fix at the start , as said above , most registered electricians would not touch some else work ,

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Fuseboard , bonding , heating contols all make the second fix dearer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

solargain wrote: »
    Fuseboard , bonding , heating contols all make the second fix dearer

Not necessarily.
    Cabling can be very expensive due to the ever increasing cost of copper. Installation of same can be very costly too. Then chasing has to be considered.

Long cable runs for bonding go in as part of 1st fix.
    The rest of the bonding is normally done with scraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Angel2009 wrote: »
    ... Nothing special to be done, light fittings etc. We also have generator box.
    :)
    Is this labour only?

As well as what's mentioned there is testing to be done as well as paperwork.

Count all the sockets, lights, switches, TV, fone,broadband,video.CCTV points you need connecting and allocate a price of fitting for each.
    At 20 euros a pop, that's c 70 items.
    I have 50 down-lighters alone...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

In general my experience is 1st fixing is more expensive taking chasing and labour into account, but every situation is different

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Angel2009

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Its very hard to know so we will have to wait and see when elected comes to see the job. He is registered and knows of the guy who did first fix. The price was for both firs and second fix, with a few extras in there. We though it was a very good price but we really should have priced around as it seems too good to be true.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As stated no RECI Contractor can certify a new installation not constructed by him. I can't really see separate contractors being responsible for 1st and 2nd fix being an option. The only possible way is with a Change of Contractor form, although I'm not sure that there are valid reasons in this instance.

I presume the same rule applies to the other crowd also.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

My public liability insurance covers all work I do. Not somebody elses. Bit of a limbo I'm afraid !

If part of the installation does not work properly you may find that neither electrical contractor will take ownership of the issue.

IMHO it is best to pay one company to do all of the electrical work from start to finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement