Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seanator Catherine Noone on the Tubridy show this morning.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

El Guapo! wrote: »
    It was crocodiles actually. Seriously.
    That was a long time ago though. MMA was a totally different animal back then. And that was really only one guys idea and was never gonna happen.

I'm talking about why the cage came in.

When it was started lads were getting thrown out and injuring themselves i thought.

The two lads enter one leaves is a myth i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

El Guapo! wrote: »
    It was crocodiles actually. Seriously.
    That was a long time ago though. MMA was a totally different animal back then. And that was really only one guys idea and was never gonna happen.

Pfft.. Give me the good old NHB days, least it wasn't full of profiteering shills and bandwagon jumpers back then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Yeah ! Another Thick !
    I have said it before and I'll say it again : -
    Oireland is run by a bunch of Clowns for a bunch of Clowns ... and always has been ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cienciano wrote: »
    Fair play to her. Yes she made a mistake calling for it to be banned, she wasn't afraid to admit she made a mistake and changed her mind.
    I suppose it's a good thing she didn't belligerently stick to her guns, but it was more than a mistake though. It was a knee jerk reaction based on a 2nd hand opinion and pure ignorance.
    It might look nasty but I don't think the deep damage is as bad as a boxing match, they might end up with more cuts and broken bones (not sure about the second one) but there isn't the same amount of shaking up of the brain which causes the real nasty problems.
    The jury's out on whether boxing gloves do more harm than good. Boxer are basically wearing cushioned weights on their hands and while the force is spread across a wider load meaning there are less cuts but that weight and force still gets transferred into the guys brain.

UFC fighters can get knocked out pretty easily and with much less force. The small gloves mean with an accurate punch to the right part of the head you can floor anybody instantly, without doing any major damage because you're causing an sensory overload as much as anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Reply from minister of sport:

Dear Catherine,
    I'll just forget about this letter so lol??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

ScumLord wrote: »
    I suppose it's a good thing she didn't belligerently stick to her guns, but it was more than a mistake though. It was a knee jerk reaction based on a 2nd hand opinion and pure ignorance.

The jury's out on whether boxing gloves do more harm than good. Boxer are basically wearing cushioned weights on their hands and while the force is spread across a wider load meaning there are less cuts but that weight and force still gets transferred into the guys brain.

UFC fighters can get knocked out pretty easily and with much less force. The small gloves mean with an accurate punch to the right part of the head you can floor anybody instantly, without doing any major damage because you're causing an sensory overload as much as anything.
    Don't forget when you get knocked out in boxing they do a count to ten then send you back out.

In ufc if you get knocked out or floored it's over and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Don't forget when you get knocked out in boxing they do a count to ten then send you back out.

reminds me of watson eubank.....all watson had to do was survive the last round to win, he took a life threatening beating in round 11 and had to be assisted back out for the 12th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

yipeeeee wrote: »

Yeah, the referees in UFC seem to have much more power and are very much focused on the well being of the fighter. They are very quick to stop a fight and will call it even if a guy is still conscious but not putting up a fight. That's part of the chess like quality to UFC, there are a number of ways to end a fight including just preventing your opponent from fighting back.

Advertisement