Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

curiua.com - search all 5 European Amazon sites

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,619 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Miike wrote: »
    Slightly off topic lads but I'm more than willing to post in another forum, if someone can suggest the appropriate one.

In the event of a hard brexit, has Amazon got a back-up plan to continue allowing ROI shoppers using Amazon? Or is it just expected we'll change over to one of the other EU ones and be damned with Prime subscriptions etc? Anyone have ANY info this at all?

I have about 5/6,000 euros of books on preorder from .co.uk which are due out at various times between October 2019 and Feb 2020 thus my curiosity

Should be no bother.

They already charge Irish VAT. They’ll just need to add duty which is payable at point of entry. So it might ship from an EU warehouse and no change

5/6,000 is a lot of reading. 1 book a day is a book for 15 years reading!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

ted1 wrote: »
    Should be no bother.

They already charge Irish VAT. They’ll just need to add duty which is payable at point of entry. So it might ship from an EU warehouse and no change

5/6,000 is a lot of reading. 1 book a day is a book for 15 years reading!!

A lot of medical texts. Some of them aren't cheap at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

Slightly off topic lads but I'm more than willing to post in another forum, if someone can suggest the appropriate one.

In the event of a hard brexit, has Amazon got a back-up plan to continue allowing ROI shoppers using Amazon? Or is it just expected we'll change over to one of the other EU ones and be damned with Prime subscriptions etc? Anyone have ANY info this at all?

I have about 5/6,000 euros of books on preorder from .co.uk which are due out at various times between October 2019 and Feb 2020 thus my curiosity

The key problem people may run into is where they buy goods that have import duty/vat liable which has not yet been paid when the goods arrive in Ireland.

Amazon.co.uk could choose to put measures in place whereby these duties could be collected in the payment process in the event of no deal. That would avoid the issue of paying an administrative fee to customs in Ireland. This is what currently irks people when the buy stuff from Aliexpress that attracts the attention of customs - especially where the customs admin fee can be more than the customs that are due.

Many of the EU WTO MFN tariffs for stuff people might typically buy online (electronics, clothes etc) are actually very low. Food is one of the big exceptions - hence the focus on the implications for agriculture in the Brexit negotiations.

Given that Amazon.co.uk does free postage to Ireland for orders over £25 its conceivable that it might still be cheaper to buy from amazon.co.uk in the event of a no deal Brexit if a means exists to collect the duties in addition to the vat already collected in the payment process.

Trevord wrote: »
    The key problem people may run into is where they buy goods that have import duty/vat liable which has not yet been paid when the goods arrive in Ireland.

Vat is already collected. Duty on books may be low or a max of 10%

Trevord wrote: »

Many of the EU WTO MFN tariffs for stuff people might typically buy online (electronics, clothes etc) are actually very low. Food is one of the big exceptions - hence the focus on the implications for agriculture in the Brexit.

Is it more so the importation of food produce rather than the tariffs, hence the South American deal where a licence is required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Are there any go-to parcel motel type services for Germany/France? I can see the big players here either spreading into mainland Europe or partnering with existing networks over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you buy from Amazon.com you get it duty paid, I even got a few, Euro back recently from them because they over charged for the taxes, so I can't see why the UK site won't be the same.

The bigger issue is that the UK will be outside the EU so all your consumer protection is gone and that will be cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Also, just to say thanks to the OP and subsequent contributors. I was about the pull the trigger on Xiaomi Airdots over the last few weeks and was willing to pay €40 for the UK site. Just ordered from the Spanish site for €25 delivered to my door! Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

tried the site posted by OP but getting a blank page with svorcde.de in the middle of it, anyone else getting that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Are there any go-to parcel motel type services for Germany/France? I can see the big players here either spreading into mainland Europe or partnering with existing networks over there.

mailboxde for Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

I've used mailboxde.com for several years for buying stuff from amazon.de for items sellers won't send to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Invincible

For Germany maiboxde.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭iniall

tried the site posted by OP but getting a blank page with svorcde.de in the middle of it, anyone else getting that

Yep me too. What's that about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

iniall wrote: »
    Yep me too. What's that about?

This is an old thread. The point of the resurrection is that Curiua is dead and this is now the place to go instead.
    KOR101 wrote: »

Reading the full thread (or at least checking the dates of the posts) can be helpful. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bryanpmurphy30

Try www.priceonline.eu for amazon comparisons between UK, France, Spain, Italy and the states

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Try www.priceonline.eu for amazon comparisons between UK, France, Spain, Italy and the states

brings you to a missing person site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Skerries wrote: »
    brings you to a missing person site

That site is gone. There is a link up top that brings you here https://webprice.eu/ Might be by the same crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Trevord

ted1 wrote: »
    Is it more so the importation of food produce rather than the tariffs, hence the South American deal where a licence is required.

Straying off topic now, but to answer your question, the license you refer to is a thing called a tariff rate quota. It basically allows for some volume of goods to be imported at a low tariff or no tariff at all compared with the normal tariff that would otherwise apply.

The Mercosur deal is unrelated to Brexit - in fact it’s the opposite to Brexit. It’s about making trade easier rather than more difficult.

A free trade agreement between the EU and UK could allow for the negotiation of low tariffs between the two countries. But that won’t happen easily if we have a No Deal Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've used mailboxde.com for several years for buying stuff from amazon.de for items sellers won't send to Ireland.
    Invincible wrote: »
    For Germany maiboxde.com.

I never used them. But I don't think they are as cheap to use as parcel Motel or addressPal and the like or are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Muahahaha wrote: »

Thanks for that. Now I need cancel an ungodly amount of orders. Fml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I never used them. But I don't think they are as cheap to use as parcel Motel or addressPal and the like or are they?

Coming from Germany as opposed to NI, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hopej

Found this thread while trying to find out what happened to curiua. I can recommend bobalob.com. It also compares the prices across amazon's european stores, shows price histories, create price alerts and estimates shipping costs.

Advertisement