Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

• 14-01-2015 6:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Back on the air today after a knee operation. Good to hear him back and hope all is well with the leg joints. But he wasn't back two minutes before he began discussing his favourite subject again. George Hook.

Is it actually possible for George Hook to go for more than half an hour without talking about George Hook?

In the first 15 minutes this evening, we learned that he had some kind of religious re-awakening while he was in hospital, then in a change of subject he treated us to a tale about the time his father took him to Speakers Corner in London when he was a kid.

I do like the man and enjoy his take on many issues, but there are times I just want to hear whats happening in the world without George Hook tying it in with something to do with George Hook all the time.

He's slowly driving me back to Matt Cooper.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Lapin wrote: »
    Back on the air today after a knee operation. Good to hear him back and hope all is well with the leg joints. But he wasn't back two minutes before he began discussing his favourite subject again. George Hook.

Is it actually possible for George Hook to go for more than half an hour without talking about George Hook?

In the first 15 minutes this evening, we learned that he had some kind of religious re-awakening while he was in hospital, then in a change of subject he treated us to a tale about the time his father took him to Speakers Corner in London when he was a kid.

I do like the man and enjoy his take on many issues, but there are times I just want to hear whats happening in the world without George Hook tying it in with something to do with George Hook all the time.

He's slowly driving me back to Matt Cooper.

That's the way he does his show,its just more laid back if it annoys u,u might as well change now he,s not going to change now especially as he's leavin in a yr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So much better when he was gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So much better when he was gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'm gonna miss his old bluster. He's 70 odd I'd say he has no interest in improving his presenting style at this stage. Def not for everyone but I enjoy his show, though it can be frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm gonna miss his old bluster. He's 70 odd I'd say he has no interest in improving his presenting style at this stage. Def not for everyone but I enjoy his show, though it can be frustrating at times.

He has his own unique style of broadcasting and it would be odd for him to change at this late stage, There is never a dull moment with him!

Often George is the story (or part of it) alright. Don't forget that he was in New York when the planes hit the twin towers, he was in Boston when the Boston bombers struck at the marathon and he was backstage looking after the catering when Tommy Cooper collapsed on stage. All true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I always enjoy his chats with Philip Molloy. It usually goes along the lines of this:

Hook: "Do you remember that film from the 1950's? I can't remember the name of it, but it starred yer man with the dark hair and that actress with the blonde hair?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Hook's devotion to Churchill is nauseating. Pity that Hook wasn't around during the 1920's, as he deservedly would've gotten a bullet in his head.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Isnt that what the news is for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He has his own unique style of broadcasting and it would be odd for him to change at this late stage, There is never a dull moment with him!

Often George is the story (or part of it) alright. Don't forget that he was in New York when the planes hit the twin towers, he was in Boston when the Boston bombers struck at the marathon and he was backstage looking after the catering when Tommy Cooper collapsed on stage. All true!

The Fhooker is a jinx!!!!:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

Hook's devotion to Churchill is nauseating. Pity that Hook wasn't around during the 1920's, as he deservedly would've gotten a bullet in his head.

hook is a west brit ( and then some ) but i still like him

he hasnt a breeze about movies , dont know how philip molly keeps his sanity during the film slot each week

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

I feel bad saying this, but is anyone else sick of "Powering Kindness" already? I know money is going to charity but it makes for terribly boring radio.

hook is a west brit ( and then some ) but i still like him

he hasnt a breeze about movies , dont know how philip molly keeps his sanity during the film slot each week

I find it refreshing that he says what he feels. It's a free country if he likes Churchill or the Queen what about it? Wouldn't be my things but he is also obsessed with the U.S. is he not also and East Yank?

Don't listen if you don't like the guy or his style of broadcasting but it's a bit unfair to criticise him for putting forward his own opinion. The Right Hook is the name of the show not that Say the things I know people will like show. We have enough of them disingenuous shows already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I feel bad saying this, but is anyone else sick of "Powering Kindness" already? I know money is going to charity but it makes for terribly boring radio.

definitely- listened to a list of what people had done to be kind to others yesterday evening, one was "peeled the spuds & carrots", good on you, you must be a right lazy fecker the rest of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I like George but I dont know how that economist guy sticks him... EVERY sentence he interrupts him with some facetious, sarcastic comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I like George but I dont know how that economist guy sticks him... EVERY sentence he interrupts him with some facetious, sarcastic comment...

George is chippy, wrong side of whatever passes for the tracks in Cork.

Just heard the bit today where he hasn't yet got comfortable with the switch to the Mass in English. That must have happened at least 45 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I used to listen to the show before he sold out to sky Plaaaaaus. This sky ad appeared shortly after his rant about Euro Cup rugby going to satellite broadcasters which seemed very sincere at the time!

Lost all respect for the guy his principles mean nothing and can be brought and sold at the right price.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I used to listen to the show before he sold out to sky Plaaaaaus. This sky ad appeared shortly after his rant about Euro Cup rugby going to satellite broadcasters which seemed very sincere at the time!

Lost all respect for the guy his principles mean nothing and can be brought and sold at the right price.

Didn't he wear a black armband and everything on the final HC live broadcast on RTE.

The guy is a total spoofer. He flip flops so much it's hard to know what his real convictions are, if he has any .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That's fantastic

:-D:-D:-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Didn't he wear a black armband and everything on the final HC live broadcast on RTE.

The guy is a total spoofer. He flip flops so much it's hard to know what his real convictions are, if he has any .

Yeah I think he did wear a black armband! I had forgotten about that.

It's his lack of convictions (or lack of) but forceful/dramatic arguments prior to subsequent and frequent contradictions that make him very hard to stomach. He seems completely sincere then he anything but sincere.

Even Eamon Dunphy is more consistent then George Hook and that's bad!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Good to see Ciara Kelly wiping the floor with Hook on the issue of abuse of children by the church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

Good to see Ciara Kelly wiping the floor with Hook on the issue of abuse of children by the church.

same liberal is silent on the issue of islamic violence , incredibly annoying woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Good auld George has found jebus and every day we have to hear about it............:mad:

I just dont care what Ciara Kelly has to say about breastfeeding or sugary drinks or obesity any more... We've heard it all a million times before... Can we not just go back to the old Friday afternoon setup where the lads used to talk about sport and it was actually entertaining..

I don't listen on Friday anymore. Used to enjoy it, but Christ Jesus it's so preachy these days.

I'm driving home from work. It's Friday. Don't need another discussion on our society's health failings. Thank you, and good night.

*turns on Led Zeppelin CD*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't know how Dr Ciara Kelly finds the time for all her Radio and TV appearances these days with all the patients she sees.

I don't know how Dr Ciara Kelly finds the time for all her Radio and TV appearances these days with all the patients she sees.

And its the same oul nonsense... They have some discussion where the guys give their opinion on some vaguely medically related issue, only for the good doctor to come in and correct them... And because she's a doctor, her opinion trumps their every time... They should move her on to Dil's show on Satuday, I think they'd be well suited..

But she's no ordinary doctor.

She's doctor with three third level degrees she'll have you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

But she's no ordinary doctor.

She's doctor with three third level degrees she'll have you know.

More letters after her name than in it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont get all the negativity about the Friday right hook, I would actually listen to it more so than the other shows, different.I certainly dont listen to Drivetime on radio 1, she really annoys me.

It would be even better if Mr Coleman was not on it, but sure you cant have everything:p

When they starts on the sport, thats me gone though.

I think its entertaining,but shame on me for a positive opinion around here.

I really like the Friday evening show, they usually have a good old light hearted argument. And Ciara Kelly is a great addition to the show. I think they should stick with this format on a Friday.

jimmyw wrote: »
    I dont get all the negativity about the Friday right hook

But the problem is that they had something that was great, but then the PC crowd that run Newstalk decided they needed a token woman on the show... this completely changes the dynamic.... It used to be like having a few beers round the telly with the lads, just a relaxed conversation about anything...And it really worked.

Now it's like the having the lads round for a few beers, only your missus to come home in a bad mood and starts giving out to everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

sooner they learn to wind her up the better.

george near did it today over the constitutional protection of mothers in the constitution which ciara seem to think is actually some form of dictat

ya can get comedy gold from hitting people in their insecurites. claire used to go mental at times on the morning show if ya offended her PC sensibilites back in the day

But the problem is that they had something that was great, but then the PC crowd that run Newstalk decided they needed a token woman on the show... this completely changes the dynamic.... It used to be like having a few beers round the telly with the lads, just a relaxed conversation about anything...And it really worked.

Now it's like the having the lads round for a few beers, only your missus to come home in a bad mood and starts giving out to everybody.

I am not into this PC crap either, thats why I don't like Mr C, but otherwise you will just have an old boys club talking sh1te like drunkards (not that she can do it too:P)

I dont always agree with the Dr at times, nor do I with Georgy himself, but it all adds to the entertainment.......for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

okay

what has happened to the Michael Graham slot?

is there a pending libel or defamation action that we haven't been briefed on?

I text-ed the show once or twice asking his whereabouts, no response.

George!! wheres Mikey?

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Jack Max

That doctor woman is some dose. Is she being paid for her flow of gibberish ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Jack Max wrote: »
    That doctor woman is some dose. Is she being paid for her flow of gibberish ?

"That doctor woman", as you call her, is Ciara Kelly, one of the contributors to Operation Transformation on RTE.

I think she has brought a new dynamic to the Friday Right Hook and has moved it away from the "lads" image on a Friday. The basic format has not changed that much though - there are still laughs to be had and it tends to be lighter in tone than the other evenings.

"That doctor woman", as you call her, is Ciara Kelly, one of the contributors to Operation Transformation on RTE.

I think she has brought a new dynamic to the Friday Hook and has moved it away from the "lads" image on a Friday. The basic format has not changed that much though - there are still laughs to be had and it tends to be lighter in tone than the other evenings.

Does she actually receive a wage for it though do you know at all?

Jack Max wrote: »
    Does she actually receive a wage for it though do you know at all?

You could ask the same question about all the guests on the show, or any show for that matter.

• Advertisement

You could ask the same question about all the guests on the show, or any show for that matter.

I could but I havent.

It's a fair question.

She is a regular participant more so than a guest.

It's a fair question.

She is a regular participant more so than a guest.

Yes and so is Shane Coleman, Dave Macintyre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Comrade Kronk

Yes and so is Shane Coleman, Dave Macintyre.

Yeah but those two are full time newstalk staff. I wonder is she?

Well she could be paid for it cause she has another slot with George on Mondays aswell.

Now you could argue that she doesn't need the money when she's a doctor aswell, or that how does she find the time from her day job and OT,but that's another story.

I just think it's good to have someone else on Fridays show apart from the guys.

Again with the doctor... every day...

Now you could argue that she doesn't need the money when she's a doctor aswell, .

Jesus, don't get her started on that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Comrade Kronk

Doctor Dose ! Radio switched over immediately when I hear that condescending prattle out of Dr Dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have switched off after listening for probably around 10 years, it seems like George's bias for the current government is ever present.

I am not saying that the likes of the anti-water protesters or the nay sayers to the new apple investment are right but it would be great to have a little bit of balance. I know there is always going to be an element of bias but the level of condescending ranting has just got too much.

A pity, i think he should retire sooner rather than later as he seems to have lost his perspective.

I switched over to Matt Cooper who seems like a breath of fresh air, he lets his guests say there piece and then asks some very direct questions without getting over animated and too opinionated on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

She was on D'arcy last week talking about her dad dying....10 years ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement