Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Very poor show this evening I must say. Boring infact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Absolutely disgusting that abusive letter George got yesterday, what utter cowards he/she is.They really need do need to get their mental health or otherwise issues sorted.

Fair play to George for taking it so well.Not concerned about himself, but more so with vulnerable people who might not take such abuse so well.

I dont think I would take it so easy.

George and Shane annoy me sometimes with their views, but I would never send in abusive comments.I would point out the other side of the argument in a civilised manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Dil thinks it's acceptable that her offspring has to wait until they are 18 to meet their father, "waiting across the street with a pair of binoculars"... I dont know how she can be so flippant about such an important subject..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

I have a minor gripe with the show on Thursdays. Its obvious that George knows what song is coming up on song of the century or whatever it is called. He said earlier that we are going DOWNTOWN for the song this evening. He later acts surprised that this song was selected. Is this a pre-recored segment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    I have a minor gripe with the show on Thursdays. Its obvious that George knows what song is coming up on song of the century or whatever it is called. He said earlier that we are going DOWNTOWN for the song this evening. He later acts surprised that this song was selected. Is this a pre-recored segment?
    I think its pre recorded,well last month or so anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

farmerjj wrote: »
    I think its pre recorded,well last month or so anyway

Yep its pre recorded the majority of the time and it isn't the only part of the show either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Going by the last two weeks it seems they've changed the formula for the friday show, if it means that doctor will no longer be roaring at us, then thats not a bad thing.

No mention of the different formula tonight, actually the same as the other 4 days.I hope they will return to the informal chat with them all.

By the way, the new look newstalk website is totally confusing.The segments on the "listen back" section is backwards......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I always enjoy his chats with Philip Molloy. It usually goes along the lines of this:

Hook: "Do you remember that film from the 1950's? I can't remember the name of it, but it starred yer man with the dark hair and that actress with the blonde hair?"

Always an edge to their chats as both like to hear their own voices. Molloy gets edgy when interrupted by Hook etc. He takes so long to talk about a film sometimes as long as the film itself.

Yet for all that Hook is more interesting and engaging than competent Mary Wilson. She is good too but I wish she would lighten up a bit and be a bit more chatty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dinny_byrne

jooksavage wrote: »
    Hook and Molloy (the movie guy) are in bad form this evening. Worse than usual.

molloy is a very dull broadcaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

molloy is a very dull broadcaster

I agree. As dishwater. Boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Oh God that section about typed notes vs. written notes as a learning tool was so boring! Can't believe George didn't go off on his usual rant about how stupid children are these days... They don't know their tables because of calculators, they can't read Latin, they can't skin a wilderbeast or make a fire-pit, etc

Very odd interview with the Censor guy.. He sounds like his boss has just found out that he serves no purpose and it now pleading his case for existence...

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

International Romany day, and George has a lady from Romany community in Ireland. Awful awful interviewee. Barely spoke and didn't say a while lot when she did. Said she's been living in Ireland over 10 years, but her English sounded like she'd been living in Ireland only several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Me Like wrote: »
    You use the term broadcaster loosely. For someone on the radio he purposely mispronounces many words. Ever hear him say "Darth Vader", "Sylvester Stallone", "Nazi" etc etc??

Sounds like this guy's english is as bad as the unproven bad english of the Roumanian lady. Which is a bit rough really since P Molloy was born and reared in this country. Mind you, he was also compelled to speak a foreign language, so maybe he, along with the Roumanian lady, may be excused their lapses, which of course,in the case of the Roumanian lady remain unexemplified.

International Romany day, and George has a lady from Romany community in Ireland. Awful awful interviewee. Barely spoke and didn't say a while lot when she did. Said she's been living in Ireland over 10 years, but her English sounded like she'd been living in Ireland only several months.

The interview in whole was a mess, he spoke to her in "BIG ENGLISH" and kept butting in every time she tried to speak. Overall he is an awful interviewer and yesterday really highlighted it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

delaad wrote: »
    Sounds like this guy's english is as bad as the unproven bad english of the Roumanian lady. Which is a bit rough really since P Molloy was born and reared in this country. Mind you, he was also compelled to speak a foreign language, so maybe he, along with the Roumanian lady, may be excused their lapses, which of course,in the case of the Roumanian lady remain unexemplified.

It's bad enough conflating Romanian and Romani people but using an archaic spelling to misidentify who you're trying to talk about is just a little bit too much, imo.

It's not as though it's some newfangled PC-gone-mad thing, it's been widely known that Romani people are practically of no relation to Romanians since well before Hitler tried to eradicate the former. The latter have been known as Romanians as opposed to Ru-/Rou-manians since the 1940s as well.

Seems like made a very conscious decision to drop the Friday edition of The Right Hook as it was..... It's a pity really, cos I liked the original version with Hook, Coleman and McIntyre...

Still, I much rather a regular Right Hook show than what the Friday edition has evolved in to lately..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭weiland79

Christ I can't stand Shane Coleman, he's so dull and Newstalk roll him out whenever a slot needs filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

weiland79 wrote: »
    Christ I can't stand Shane Coleman, he's so dull and Newstalk roll him out whenever a slot needs filling.

is he still on? crap. have a 2 hour bus journey @ 5, would sooner listen back to todays Liveline

how many more times is she gonna say Monds.... I feel like I'm being brainwashed..

Just listening to Philip Molloy on The Movie Show... Reading straight from a script, with a monotone delivery... And I dont think he's got through one sentence without stumbling over a word tonight... Surely they could get somebody else to bring a bit of enthusiasm to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Just listening to Philip Molloy on The Movie Show... Reading straight from a script, with a monotone delivery... And I dont think he's got through one sentence without stumbling over a word tonight... Surely they could get somebody else to bring a bit of enthusiasm to the show

This has been bugging me for ages. I had to laugh one night when he droolled on about some actor's "wooden delivery". Also, is too much to ask for a reviewer with a sense of humour? I find it hard to trust the opinion of anyone so dull.

He is good at Guess Who games with George. "who's yer man, played in the 50's cowboy series opposite yer wun"
    "Alan Ladd?"
    "That's the one"

I've been saying it for ages, he's more wooden than a tree.

• Advertisement

Ah noooooooo!.........not Coleman again. Dear god he is so dull. Less than five minutes in and he is praising the government already :-S

Stick to the day job Shane

Who let Jonathan Healy present the Right Hook. He is getting a stern talking down to here by the guy talking about the new words allowed in Scrabble. The language guy is really refreshing as he says language is always evolving and different types of writing/spelling are used in different circumstances.

Think he is the lecturer in linguistics in UCD. It was slightly uncomfortable but entertaining

Who let Jonathan Healy present the Right Hook. He is getting a stern talking down to here by the guy talking about the new words allowed in Scrabble. The language guy is really refreshing as he says language is always evolving and different types of writing/spelling are used in different circumstances.

Think he is the lecturer in linguistics in UCD. It was slightly uncomfortable but entertaining

If Georgy boy was on, I bet he would be taking a similar tone as Jonathan but a bit more aggressive maybe.It was kinda cringey to hear Jonathan being treated like a teacher would their student.:P.

The lecturer was a bit patronising I think though.

jimmyw wrote: »
    If Georgy boy was on, I bet he would be taking a similar tone as Jonathan but a bit more aggressive maybe.It was kinda cringey to hear Jonathan being treated like a teacher would their student.:P.

The lecturer was a bit patronising I think though.

I think you could hear healys smile/smirk disappear. But yeah he was a bit short. I imagine he had probably done the same interview 10 times that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I dont hear that Ciara Kelly on as much these days thank God. Think she has a health advice slot one of the evenings alright but at least she's not on as regularly.

• Advertisement

Cortecs wrote: »
    I dont hear that Ciara Kelly on as much these days thank God. Think she has a health advice slot one of the evenings alright but at least she's not on as regularly.
    she does the whole show on bank holidays these days

George once again trying to defend or take the spotlight off Denis O brien. He now is asking why is no TD asking about child poverty or cuts to people with intellectual disabilities instead of investigating the siteserv debacle.

He has been getting grumpy whenever it is brought up. At least he has stopped suggesting that catherine Murphy is just looking for re-election. At least Matt Cooper prefaces any talk of D.O'B by saying he is part owner of Today FM and newstalk

I've just stopped listening to the grumpy borefest that is George.

I've just stopped listening to the grumpy borefest that is George.

I usually switch between him and Matt Cooper. But George has been very grumpy the last few months. Barely listen to him now. He used to be at his best when trying to wind up shane coleman or anyone else on Friday right hook.

Is there anyother good alternative to Hook or Cooper that doesnt dwell on politics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, I used to hate the Friday Right Hook, especially because Ciara Kelly used to take over with her righteous opinions. Kinda miss it a bit now though, although it's great to have Michael Graham back!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Cortecs wrote: »
    Yeah, I used to hate the Friday Right Hook, especially because Ciara Kelly used to take over with her righteous opinions. Kinda miss it a bit now though, although it's great to have Michael Graham back!!

Glad she's gone the daft opinionated bint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

George once again trying to defend or take the spotlight off Denis O brien. He now is asking why is no TD asking about child poverty or cuts to people with intellectual disabilities instead of investigating the siteserv debacle.

He has been getting grumpy whenever it is brought up. At least he has stopped suggesting that catherine Murphy is just looking for re-election. At least Matt Cooper prefaces any talk of D.O'B by saying he is part owner of Today FM and newstalk

That's certainly a misrepresentation of what I heard. It was in the context of a discussion with Fergus Finlay, who was saying that the various public-service crises that affect marginalised groups etc were the real scandal, and that he didn't see what the fuss about the FAI/FIFA thing was about.

The only (relevant in this context) mention of O'Brien I noticed was in the sentence where Finlay said that if the FAI/FIFA loan thing had been open and transparent it'd be a non-story, and that, similarly, if the IBRC/Siteserv deal had been transparent and open, it would be less of a story.

Didn't notice O'Brien being defended or any spotlight being shifted...

That's certainly a misrepresentation of what I heard. It was in the context of a discussion with Fergus Finlay, who was saying that the various public-service crises that affect marginalised groups etc were the real scandal, and that he didn't see what the fuss about the FAI/FIFA thing was about.

The only (relevant in this context) mention of O'Brien I noticed was in the sentence where Finlay said that if the FAI/FIFA loan thing had been open and transparent it'd be a non-story, and that, similarly, if the IBRC/Siteserv deal had been transparent and open, it would be less of a story.
    Didn't notice O'Brien being defended or any spotlight being shifted...

Anytime I have dipped in to the show in last week or two, Hook gets kinda nervous around mention of O'Brien. I think the night I mentioned, Hook was trying to associate the big media fuss over the FAI with the media fuss over the much more important Siteserv deal.

I do think that saying what about more marginalised groups is a definite way of shifting focus. If someone says that every time something is debated in the Dail then nothing will ever get done or discussed. There will always be a worse situation somewhere.

Then again I might be into too many conspiracy theories. Maybe george is just sick of the same news story being discussed everywhere. I heard moncrieff go off on it today when he got the usual "you are a Denis O'Brien lackey" speech.

I do think George should mention that Denis O'Brien owns the station when talking about his business interests even in a short segment

Anytime I have dipped in to the show in last week or two, Hook gets kinda nervous around mention of O'Brien. I think the night I mentioned, Hook was trying to associate the big media fuss over the FAI with the media fuss over the much more important Siteserv deal.

I do think that saying what about more marginalised groups is a definite way of shifting focus. If someone says that every time something is debated in the Dail then nothing will ever get done or discussed. There will always be a worse situation somewhere.

Then again I might be into too many conspiracy theories. Maybe george is just sick of the same news story being discussed everywhere. I heard moncrieff go off on it today when he got the usual "you are a Denis O'Brien lackey" speech.

I do think George should mention that Denis O'Brien owns the station when talking about his business interests even in a short segment

I too heard that section and it was an interview about Fergus Finlay's article in the paper which asked why are we bothering with all this when there are bigger issues. I didn't get the sense George was covering up wither way it was FFs agenda- at least it might keep him away from the binge drinkers for a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its actually ridiculous that its not mentioned.

Sunday Times mentions "(sharing ownership with this paper)" or similar in news pieces about Sky, UTV stations mention "who own this station" in news stories about UTV, and so on. Only the now former shared ownership between Richard Demsond's tabloid rags and tabloid TV wasn't mentioned - O'Brien seems to be emulating that.

• Advertisement

oops wrong forum

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He's pretending it's 1955 right now, it's bizarre listening to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

What's the occasion?

He's reading postcards now.

Plus side: He's playing Jonny Be Good by Chuck Berry

He mentioned it was the 30th anniversary of Back to the Future, think it's something to do with that, as I said it's bizarre listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I heard that as well. It was really bizarre. Totally unfunny and pointless. Do the producers get any say in Hook's show? Surely they couldn't have thought this was a good idea.

I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny but if it was, it confirms the fact that Hook can't do humour. He's top dog when it comes to going to work with a cold and slobbering all over the microphone, not being right about rugby, pointless one-upmanship with every guest, and senile droolings about the Cork of his youth.

But he can't do humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Heard a podcast of the Health segment with Dr. Ciara last night. It was hilarious-George was an authority on everything! Actually think that Ciara coped very well with his "input". Is it always like that?

honeybear wrote: »
    Heard a podcast of the Health segment with Dr. Ciara last night. It was hilarious-George was an authority on everything! Actually think that Ciara coped very well with his "input". Is it always like that?

Oh yeah,you do know George is an expert on everything;-). I don't why he has her on,because he can answer all the questions himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ten minute discussion on how to load a dishwasher!

Felt like I was in the middle of an episode of Father Ted

Ten minute discussion on how to load a dishwasher!

Felt like I was in the middle of an episode of Father Ted

It was one of the worse piece of radio i've heard in years.

I believe there's no production or editorial control as all. The show is a complete mess and i have gone from listening every day to just the odd time.

Not ageism but the sooner he retires the better, as he's gone down hill bit by bit

• Advertisement

It was one of the worse piece of radio i've heard in years.

I believe there's no production or editorial control as all. The show is a complete mess and i have gone from listening every day to just the odd time.

Not ageism but the sooner he retires the better, as he's gone down hill bit by bit

Dont agree, its what gives the programme its edge, the unpredictability .If Shane Coleman ever takes over after George retires, I will never listen to it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement