Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Have really missed Hook this and last week, come back soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

George playing the 'Last Post' there near start of how thinking it would be brave or get him a few irate listeners. Did no one listen to the last topic on Moncrieff less than half 20 minutes before. it was an english guy on about the history of the 'Last Post' It was even used at Booby Sands funeral. i know he meant it in context to WW1, but God he can be an idiot at times.

Is 'Armchair republicans' the new go to insult. Is it not better that they are in armchairs than out fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    George playing the 'Last Post' there near start of how thinking it would be brave or get him a few irate listeners. Did no one listen to the last topic on Moncrieff less than half 20 minutes before. it was an english guy on about the history of the 'Last Post' It was even used at Booby Sands funeral. i know he meant it in context to WW1, but God he can be an idiot at times.

Is 'Armchair republicans' the new go to insult. Is it not better that they are in armchairs than out fighting

The armchair ones were never out fighting. That's why they are called armchair republicans. A former combatant/terrorist is not an armchair republican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Deedsie wrote: »
    The armchair ones were never out fighting. That's why they are called armchair republicans. A former combatant/terrorist is not an armchair republican.

Generally calling someone an armchair.........historian/general/republican, is calling them an amateur or someone who has never suffered/studied the thing. You would usually defer to the proffessional historian/general/republican.

It was only the last bit of my point anyhow. No one on the Hook show listened to the piece that was on 20 minutes previously which gave a good history of that piece of music. i think George just wanted to rile some people up.

I think George was just saying armchair republicans as the old insult was "I bet you are wearing an English soccer jersey/Celtic jersey, and it is getting boring now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like that he brought that fella on who sent in an Email complaining about what he said about IS and had a chat with him, even at the end when he slagged him off, George's response was "Fair Enough"

I like that he brought that fella on who sent in an Email complaining about what he said about IS and had a chat with him, even at the end when he slagged him off, George's response was "Fair Enough"

He had five or six such people on. I thought it was a good feature too. I heard the piece yesterday and while I didn't totally disagree with George I felt his position on it was extremely slanted without any counter argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 quiet_speaker

was that the guy named daniel who was offended ( his words ) on behalf of muslims out there

what a feeble minded individual he was , blathering on with endless whataboutery by bringing up the lords resistance in uganda and the KKK , more or less saying that christianity has just as much of a problem with religous inspired violence as islam

a PC bore of the highest order

makes you wonder what the youth is being taught in universities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 quiet_speaker

He had five or six such people on. I thought it was a good feature too. I heard the piece yesterday and while I didn't totally disagree with George I felt his position on it was extremely slanted without any counter argument.

content yourself with the fact that 99% of irish media commentators have been tripping over themselves to say " this had nothing to do with islam " and that it must not prevent the resettling of refugees

there is a lack of balance in irish media , its overwhelmingly left wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

was that the guy named daniel who was offended ( his words ) on behalf of muslims out there

what a feeble minded individual he was , blathering on with endless whataboutery by bringing up the lords resistance in uganda and the KKK , more or less saying that christianity has just as much of a problem with religious inspired violence as islam
    Yeah, he came across as arrogant and of course could offer no solution other than to regurgitate right-on platitudes and talking about "offending muslims" as if that's an argument

"i'm offended!"

"so fucking what!"
    content yourself with the fact that 99% of irish media commentators have been tripping over themselves to say " this had nothing to do with islam " and that it must not prevent the resettling of refugees

there is a lack of balance in irish media , its overwhelmingly left wing

Have to agree very strongly here, there is not only a bias but almost an unspoken ban on any opinion that isn't pre approved liberal (anything but) doctrine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

The business news section was a joke tonight. Newstalk business editor starts by telling how they are breaking this story about prominent Irish businessmen having bought paintings from the Alfred Beit Foundation and donating to the State for public exhibition. Causually drops in the fact that Denis O'Brien is one of them half through the report. Good man Denis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ciara Kelly sitting in today. Doing a fine job, I think it's fair to say.

Although I could live without the sugar drinks conversation again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Hard to believe she's a GP to boot. Why is it Newstalk find it so hard to find presenters who are not double jobbing? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I like Dr Ciara but I don't agree with her presenting the show. I wish they would find someone else other than her and COLMAN!

Did anyone hear her duet with George? She's not a bad singer,she can hold a note. I was surprised!

jimmyw wrote: »
    I like Dr Ciara but I don't agree with her presenting the show. I wish they would find someone else other than her and COLMAN!

Did anyone hear her duet with George? She's not a bad singer,she can hold a note. I was surprised!

That's great maybe she can put some busker out of business too in her spare time..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Caught the 5pm & 6pm plays last night on the way home...Ciara was good but George just sounded wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Caught the 5pm & 6pm plays last night on the way home...Ciara was good but George just sounded wrong

her faux "embarrassment" was a bit much. I'm sure she was saying in her head "Jesus I sound good". George was just terrible though. They should have picked a different song.

Fair play to George for doing the show live today on Christmas Eve. Few nice words for the lonely people on the texts as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hard to believe she's a GP to boot. Why is it Newstalk find it so hard to find presenters who are not double jobbing? :rolleyes:

Yes I had that thought too. We hear Marion Finucane talking about the time being spent preparing for her programme as justifying her high salary. Who is this Kelly woman anyway? Is she a GP? Where does she practice? If she was presenting a radio programme from 4-7 (is it?) how much time is needed for preparation? Can she swing in at 3:55 and off she goes? Is it as easy as that? Did she get a locum to cover her practice? She mustn't be too interested n her practice. I am sure there are plenty of young presenters who would have liked a crack at covering for Hook. They may already have quite a lot of experience and be trained also. Trained? What training do you need to present a radio programme? Did Dr Kelly have the training? Or can anyone just do it?
    How much money would she have earned covering for George? Surely she has enough of that as a GP already? Jobs for the boys and girls it seems.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yes I had that thought too. We hear Marion Finucane talking about the time being spent preparing for her programme as justifying her high salary. Who is this Kelly woman anyway? Is she a GP? Where does she practice? If she was presenting a radio programme from 4-7 (is it?) how much time is needed for preparation? Can she swing in at 3:55 and off she goes? Is it as easy as that? Did she get a locum to cover her practice? She mustn't be too interested n her practice. I am sure there are plenty of young presenters who would have liked a crack at covering for Hook. They may already have quite a lot of experience and be trained also. Trained? What training do you need to present a radio programme? Did Dr Kelly have the training? Or can anyone just do it?
    How much money would she have earned covering for George? Surely she has enough of that as a GP already? Jobs for the boys and girls it seems.

Why would you think that any of that is any of your business? She is clearly an intelligent woman and an excellent communicator? She was either approached or applied for a role in media broadcasting. Isn't Bobby Kerr a business man outside of his media roll? I'm sure many people in Irish radio have other commitments outside of media.

Why would you think that any of that is any of your business? She is clearly an intelligent woman and an excellent communicator? She was either approached or applied for a role in media broadcasting. Isn't Bobby Kerr a business man outside of his media roll? I'm sure many people in Irish radio have other commitments outside of media.

Could it be that the poster - like me - is sick and tired of the clique in the media? Even the panellists on Mammy Finucane and similar shows seem to be drawn from the same select coterie e.g. Panty Bliss, Mary O'Rourke etc.etc.etc.

• Advertisement

Could it be that the poster - like me - is sick and tired of the clique in the media? Even the panellists on Mammy Finucane and similar shows seem to be drawn from the same select coterie e.g. Panty Bliss, Mary O'Rourke etc.etc.etc.

Be sick of it all you like. Don't see why it gives anyone the idea they are entitled to information about their personal lives. Unless they choose to offer the information.

Be sick of it all you like. Don't see why it gives anyone the idea they are entitled to information about their personal lives. Unless they choose to offer the information.

I couldn't care less about her private life but it's a valid point - unless she is Wonderwoman some aspect of her work must be suffering. Another underworked(?) media whizz kid is Fergus Finlay who appears to be able to run Barnardos, write for several newspapers, appear on, and even present radio shows. A nice little earner for sure but who is losing out?

Deedsie,
    You may have missed my point.

The broadcasting world seems quite a small, self contained and self perpetuating one. Many of the guests on programs seem to surface on other programs constantly. They all end up interviewing each other eg Hook interviewing Marty Whelan with a view to selling his book. Gay Byrne doing the same with Duffy's book and so on. I get tired of this small fishbowl feature of broadcasting in Ireland. No sooner are you a guest on a program than you are actually presenting a program yourself.

It makes me wonder what qualifications you need to be a presenter of a current affairs program on RTE radio? I would have thought you had to be a trained journalist? But Kelly is a GP for God's sake.
    It must be disappointing for someone young who has been studying journalism with a view to a career in broadcasting see the likes of Kelly and Bobby Kerr all of a sudden presenting these programs. Especially as they seem to have very successful careers already. It seems unfair.

I couldn't care less about her private life but it's a valid point - unless she is Wonderwoman some aspect of her work must be suffering. Another underworked(?) media whizz kid is Fergus Finlay who appears to be able to run Barnardos, write for several newspapers, appear on, and even present radio shows. A nice little earner for sure but who is losing out?

Yep. That's the kind of thing I am talking about. And Barnardos pay a lot to him already. Nice little earners ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Ugghhh Ciara Kelly on the radio again, so glad i missed that program. She is one of the reason's i stopped listening in to the right hook on fridays, if its not moaning about not being able to pay the mortgage/sending her kids to private school, its the over the top condescending lecturing.

Maybe she has lightened up since the days she was surrounded by the lads on the friday show and felt the need to keep up with the pissing contest.

Who is this Kelly woman anyway?

To be fair to Ciara Kelly, I heard her allude to the fact that she needs to do the media work for the money, so I certainly wouldnt begrudge her that. She was fine when there was just the one item that she was on, but every time I turn over to The Right Hook these days, she seems to be on. Either presenting or giving out about sugary drinks.

The one that sickens me is Nora Owen. She's apparently retired and on the pension, yet she's blocking an opportunity for one of our many unemployed media graduates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

To be fair to Ciara Kelly, I heard her allude to the fact that she needs to do the media work for the money, so I certainly wouldnt begrudge her that. .......................
    Whaa? She's a doctor like!
    TV&Radio Doctor
    Right Hook
    Columnist Sunday Independnt @independent_ie
    Operation Transformation @RTE
    Carrig Clinic Greystones

To be fair to Ciara Kelly, I heard her allude to the fact that she needs to do the media work for the money, so I certainly wouldnt begrudge her that. She was fine when there was just the one item that she was on, but every time I turn over to The Right Hook these days, she seems to be on. Either presenting or giving out about sugary drinks.

The one that sickens me is Nora Owen. She's apparently retired and on the pension, yet she's blocking an opportunity for one of our many unemployed media graduates.

But media graduates are in no way interesting? GP's and retired politicians would surely be more interesting and insightful than a group of media post grads. It's a current affairs show not a media grad discussion group

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whaa? She's a doctor like!
    TV&Radio Doctor
    Right Hook
    Columnist Sunday Independnt @independent_ie
    Operation Transformation @RTE
    Carrig Clinic Greystones

She's some woman, for one woman!

I like Hook a lot of the time.
    I heard an interview recently he did with a 100 year old woman from Cork. She sounded much younger than 100 I have to say. She seemed like a good talker and very lucid indeed. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear much at all. He constantly interrupted her, never allowed her to tell a story, never allowed her to get going. I thought at times he spoke down to her-Well aren't you great altogether- kind of thing. Was patronising and off hand.
    What a story she had to tell but Hook was not the person to let us hear it.

He is the same with the movie fellow. Can't remember his name Philip Molloy is it? I actually don't like him much at all as he seems to take a long time to tell us a simple story. But Hook always interrupts him too.

Sometimes people stand in for him. Where does he be? I think he had a knee operation at one stage. I think this week he is off. But I recall others standing in for him throughout the year more often than other presenters. How can he have so many holidays?

• Advertisement

The ubiquitous Dr. Ciara Kelly stood in for him again today. Hook is a walking advert for private medicine - new knees, teeth and recently - eye surgery. He also promotes Bloomberg Care on Newstalk as if they were a branch of the SVP. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She sshuld change her ame to Doctor Hook

If it is a choice between Ciara Kelly or Shane Coleman for Hooks eventual replacement I would choose Kelly every time. Very few female presenters on national radio.

He is the same with the movie fellow. Can't remember his name Philip Molloy is it? I actually don't like him much at all as he seems to take a long time to tell us a simple story. But Hook always interrupts him too.

For a man who you would assume is passionate about movies, he manages to get through the show with an amazing amount of disinterest.
    If it is a choice between Ciara Kelly or Shane Coleman for Hooks eventual replacement I would choose Kelly every time. Very few female presenters on national radio.

No way. Kelly is too Miss Goody Two Shoes and preachy for my liking. When she's presenting she turns into Ray D'Arcy, interrupting and forcing her own opinions on the guest. I prefer Coleman, he just lets the guests give us their opinions.

What about her patients?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What about her patients?

"Doctor, doctor, do you treat dwarves?"

"Yes, but he'll have to be a little patient."

Not having a go at you or your post, but the person in bold above.I agreed with you above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Flappy Head

This pajama talk is beyond weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is there anything on the mans mind other than migrants?

kneemos wrote: »
    Is there anything on the mans mind other than migrants?

Well I guess he's a bit reluctant to mention the lovely Ingrid any more since she threw him under a bus on Saturday night.

Well I guess he's a bit reluctant to mention the lovely Ingrid any more since she threw him under a bus on Saturday night.

What happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

hahahha http://www.thejournal.ie/george-hook-3-2-2540490-Jan2016/ i assume this is what hes talking about :).

Calhoun wrote: »
    hahahha http://www.thejournal.ie/george-hook-3-2-2540490-Jan2016/ i assume this is what hes talking about :).

Germans/Austrians not noted for their subtlety.

• Advertisement

Fergus Finlay getting up on his high horse at the suggestion that Labour is his party, and him wanting to run for them in the last presidential election (only they wouldnt have him). I'm sure even Labour get sick of him pontificating to them about children in poverty when he wrestles >100K out of those very children's hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Fergus Finlay getting up on his high horse at the suggestion that Labour is his party, and him wanting to run for them in the last presidential election (only they wouldnt have him). I'm sure even Labour get sick of him pontificating to them about children in poverty when he wrestles >100K out of those very children's hands.

Don't forget that Barnardos are the biggest recipients of taxpayers cash for acting as Guardian ad litems for children

Billing the taxpayer via the HSE at €110 per hour plus expenses in 2013 Barnardos pulled down €3,600,000.00

No one ever calls Finlay out in this . Ever

my friend wrote: »
    Don't forget that Barnardos are the biggest recipients of taxpayers cash for acting as Guardian ad litems for children

Just wondering, did he comment about the kid's money being pulled by the Irish Cancer Society earlier this week. I didnt hear him. Maybe he didnt want to raise his voice lest it bring the focus on to his T&Cs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Can nobody in Newstalk hear that buzzing noise?

Oh hold on, Ivana Bacik, turn the buzzing noise up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement