Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Can nobody in Newstalk hear that buzzing noise?

Oh hold on, Ivana Bacik, turn the buzzing noise up.

Are Labour imposing her on the electorate once again? Despite multiple previous failures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

my friend wrote: »
    Are Labour imposing her on the electorate once again? Despite multiple previous failures?

Surprised shes still with them, she seems like the type that would drop dead weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Listener number continue to drop................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Maybe for this book, but he's 19,000 up on this time last year.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter because he's gone in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

This post has been deleted.

That's one thing I love about George. He's pretty much the only presenter who will read the most offensive texts about himself. Could you imagine Tubridy or D'Arcy doing anything like that? I'd say RTE have employed somebody to protect them from what people really think of them.

I actually think Tubridy should read out some of the derogatory texts that he receives, it would make him appear more human and not the boy in the bubble that he appears to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think they make up their own texts on RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That's one thing I love about George. He's pretty much the only presenter who will read the most offensive texts about himself. Could you imagine Tubridy or D'Arcy doing anything like that? I'd say RTE have employed somebody to protect them from what people really think of them.

Of course PK did it once in his RTE days, not really in the Hook spirit though:

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Maybe for this book, but he's 19,000 up on this time last year.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter because he's gone in September.

I thought he cancelled that ?

I thought he cancelled that ?

No, he's reiterated it again a couple of times recently, September and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Vinny Browne just evicerated George - very entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

griffin100 wrote: »

It was very entertaining. They make a good pair together. Vinny also got a dig in at Ivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

griffin100 wrote: »
    refreshing to have someone call him out on some of the nonsense he talks.
    so often i'm sitting there thinking "that's complete factual bollocks" but he just prattles on ignorant to the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

kneemos wrote: »
    Is there anything on the mans mind other than migrants?
    rugby concussions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

This is great entertainment, hooky and the even more cantankerous Vinny Browne, these should be on more often.

jimmyw wrote: »
    This is great entertainment, hooky and the even more cantankerous Vinny Browne, these should be on more often.

Yeah it was great entertainment. Vinny his usual grumpy, petty, childish self. One thing about Vincent that really annoys me is this "Everybody pays tax dont tell me that they dont, they all pay VAT" which I find ridiculous.

If you are on the dole, getting rent allowance etc etc then you certainly will pay VAT on what you but, but this just means that you have to hand back some of the money that the state gave you in the first place. Its nothing that you have earned yourself, so it's not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Yeah it was great entertainment. Vinny his usual grumpy, petty, childish self. One thing about Vincent that really annoys me is this "Everybody pays tax dont tell me that they dont, they all pay VAT" which I find ridiculous.

If you are on the dole, getting rent allowance etc etc then you certainly will pay VAT on what you but, but this just means that you have to hand back some of the money that the state gave you in the first place. Its nothing that you have earned yourself, so it's not the same.

It was george that brought up tax. He made a sweeping statement that 30% of irish people pay no tax at all. Vincent corrected him. George then said he meant income tax. Its good that someone is challenging George. its like the old friday right hook. It was fun anyhow. I think the two of them are good together and it keeps Hook on his toes

You'd have to admire Mary Hanafin, she seems completely oblivious as to how much she's hated. She should have just hung up her hat with the rest of that Government, and Michael Martin with her. The arrogance to run for office again given the mess they made of it the last time. And she really gets an HUGE amount of coverage in the media compared to other candidates which is very unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I've enjoyed Alison Spittle's election segments on Fridays. She brings out the silly side of George, it's a nice lighthearted spot. They should make her a regular, I reckon.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 great_scot

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    It was george that brought up tax. He made a sweeping statement that 30% of irish people pay no tax at all. Vincent corrected him. George then said he meant income tax. Its good that someone is challenging George. its like the old friday right hook. It was fun anyhow. I think the two of them are good together and it keeps Hook on his toes

Vinnie would shout and scream that fairies exist and say it with such conviction that many might believe him

his thesis that everyone pays tax is absolute rubbish , its shows how poor of a broadcaster hook is that he was left speechless by the garbage which brown was spouting , anyone worth their salt would have picked him apart

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 41 great_scot

You'd have to admire Mary Hanafin, she seems completely oblivious as to how much she's hated. She should have just hung up her hat with the rest of that Government, and Michael Martin with her. The arrogance to run for office again given the mess they made of it the last time. And she really gets an HUGE amount of coverage in the media compared to other candidates which is very unfair.

hanafin is the marian finucane of politics , hardly any talent but more than makes up for it with confidence and sense of entitlement

My god, this foghorn Tara Duggan again. Why does she SHOUT absolutely everything, I feel like I'm in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

I've never agreed more with Hook than now! Enda out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I've never agreed more with Hook than now! Enda out!

Hook is a complete spoofer that doesnt have a clue what he is talking about... its a sad state of affairs a commentator as poor as him has a vehicle to spout his ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

priest is getting nowhere with that argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Now here's a thing.

I stopped listening on Friday a while back. Because it was getting way too preachy.

Listened a bit again recently. There's this bit, with someone called Alison Spittle (i think).

I can't quite explain this, because i hate nearly everything...but I kinda like it. I don't know why. It's just kinda light hearted and, well, nice.

Dunno, maybe cos it's Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

I used to quite enjoy the light hearted / jokey / foolishness of the Friday show when it first started in that direction and I used to plan my weekly work schedule make sure I was in the car on a friday evening on the way home.
    It definitely did work for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Some woman health professional on with George Hook now. Her voice!! Like a gun firing bullets!! :(

Edit: Christine O' Malley.

Jaysus that Barry Devlin takes some listening to. He seems to think he's extremely funny. Could they not have got a few more people in studio to discuss the week so as to dilute him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Jaysus that Barry Devlin takes some listening to. He seems to think he's extremely funny. Could they not have got a few more people in studio to discuss the week so as to dilute him.
    He can't have been any worse than the mouth piece on before him.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

His rant at the start about that cyclist on the footpath was hilarious 'I used some old Anglo Saxon words to tell him to get off the footpath'

• Advertisement

Manchán Magan on now. Utterly insufferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Manchán Magan on now. Utterly insufferable.

"Mmm hmm, mmm hmm... hee hee hee hee hee hee... Mmm hmm, mmm hmm."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 El Reich

Totally agree with George about Trump's visit here. The ever increasing liberal agenda in this country makes me sick.

Never tire of him reading out the texts berating him. Great radio.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist and I actually love his rants. To be fair he is right about some of it, adults cycling on the footpath shouldn't be allowed. I'd be more open to children cycling to school on the footpath as the roads are fairly treacherous if you are not careful.

Yes, but as with a lot of things George Hook is a complete hypocrite. Ranting and raving about cyclists breaking the rules of the road, totally ignoring his own behaviour behind the wheel.
    "I hate cyclists with a passion... I hate criminals... [cyclists] break the law routinely, they do what the hell they like," he said on Ireland AM this morning.

"They're a threat to themselves , they're a threat to pedestrians - and ultimately they're a threat to motorcars as motorcars trying to avoid these lunatics will have an accident."

When questioned on his "sweeping generalisation" by the show's presenters Mark Cagney and Sinead Desmond, Hook defended his argument saying the actions of cyclists are "outrageous".

Yet, his Today FM counterpart Matt Cooper (49) took more offence to Hook's "criminals" comments by retorting: "George, you're the criminal. You've a string of road traffic convictions".

"I found three last night when I was searching on the internet for a short period of time. There was a judge who said you were close to being a "serial" road traffic offender," he said.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/george-youre-the-criminal-matt-cooper-slams-newstalks-george-hook-on-ireland-am-31349206

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/george-youre-the-criminal-matt-cooper-slams-newstalks-george-hook-on-ireland-am-31349206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Whenever I hear Hook on about motoring, and especially stories about his latest car journey from Dublin to Cork I think of this. :D

MR.%20MAGOO%20COLOR%20CAR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

George talks a lot of sense even if his manner is a bit over the top.

KingBrian2 wrote: »

I actually think he talks out of his hole personally.

I actually think he talks out of his hole personally.

Most of the time, but like a broken clock he's right twice a day.

Del.Monte wrote: »

Not if its digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Del.Monte wrote: »

He speaks some truths and has a very direct way of speaking. I like that in people.

• Advertisement

George's missus on the show with him now. Should be interesting to see if she gives him the roasting she did the last time.

It was pretty interesting. I'm surprised the lovely Ingrid isn't a regular contributor to the programme. She's a very clear and erudite contributor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I've heard him speak a few times recently and I would not call what he says sense. He speaks his mind, and goes against the grain (or what he views as the grain), but most of what he says is the usual, conservative, uninspiring and tired views you hear rehearsed again and again in the US from the likes of Fox news. It's just boring. But because Hook says it with some belief and passion, and relates it to Ireland, I guess it appeals to newstalk listeners. PK and Ivan speak some sense. Hook is a sensationalist. How anyone could listen to him when Matt Cooper is a station away is not beyond me, but quite alarming all the same. Maybe he gets good ratings, I don't know, but he certainly devalues the quality and reputation of newstalk by being on drivetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Canadel wrote: »
    Maybe he gets good ratings, I don't know, but he certainly devalues the quality and reputation of newstalk by being on drivetime.

Well he won't be there for long more, we'll see what kind of ratings his replacement gets...

How anyone could listen to him when Matt Cooper is a station away is not beyond me, but quite alarming all the same. Maybe he gets good ratings, I don't know, but he certainly devalues the quality and reputation of newstalk by being on drivetime.

How anybody can listen to Matt Cooper's voice is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's so true.

George's main draw is that he's the least bad option at that time of day. Talks so much rubbish.

Although I will admit I love the narky old b*llocks. Hope he postpones the old retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Matt is the biggest wanker on Irish radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

but most of what he says is the usual, conservative,

I wouldn't have said George is very conservative.

my friend wrote: »
    Matt is the biggest wanker on Irish radio

That spot is already spoken for by Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said George is very conservative.
    It's a peculiar Hibernian brand of conservatism.

He's not like Reagan or Thatcher. He doesn't care about monetary policy. He just wants to restore old-fashioned moral values, but also favours a strong state & social supports for the vulnerable. He'd have no time for Mary Harney or libertarianism at all.

I guess he's a bit like a French conservative in that way. I believe he's a great man for General de Gaulle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement