Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said George is very conservative.

George is just full of it, he can be entertaining at times... but he he is full of it. Last year, a clearly upset George, read out a hate mail letter he got from some idiot, it was a nasty letter, it made the the papers in a poor George kind of way. Yesterday he was telling those in public eye who get upset by abusive messages to "suck it up".

Not so long ago he was Hillary's number one fan, now he's a Trump man. Liberal/conservative... it doesn't really matter where George is concerned. He changes his position so often, you just can't take him seriously.

Hook just had two West African immigrants on the show, voting for Brexit because immigrants are "thieves"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Anyone hear Tara Duggan on the other day? She started on one of these "There were x number of people killed in Turkey but it doesnt make the news here and I wonder why that is?" She was only missing a #justsayin'

The irony of a person who works for a News radio station lecturing the listener about how stories about "people who arent like us" are not in the news, was not lost on me. Would it not be better for her to have this discussion with the people who put together the news at her own station instead of trying to guilt the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Colm O'Gorman is mad for Islamists.

Which is odd, because he'd be one of the first ritualistically butchered if their depraved ideology ever won out here.

Edit: Or, rather, thrown from a great height. That is the treatment of Homosexuals prescribed by Islam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Heard a bit of it and he was quite vicious alright.

• Advertisement

What's the point of Alison Spittle?

If I wanted to listen to giggling and inanities I'd hang out in the yard of an all girls secondary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Cortecs wrote: »
    Heard a bit of it and he was quite vicious alright.

What was he saying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

DeadHand wrote: »
    What's the point of Alison Spittle?

If I wanted to listen to giggling and inanities I'd hang out in the yard of an all girls secondary school.

I think this question is asked every Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Colm O'Gorman is mad for Islamists.

Which is odd, because he'd be one of the first ritualistically butchered if their depraved ideology ever won out here.

Edit: Or, rather, thrown from a great height. That is the treatment of Homosexuals prescribed by Islam.

You were not listening properly if you think that.

As I understand it, he was making a number of points. He does not think deporting someone back to a country which abuses people's human rights is a good idea and that it flies in the face of the rule of law. He also argued that someone who is suspected of terrorist activity should be investigated, prosecuted and brought before the courts in the normal manner. Colm mentioned the awful destruction of lives by Islamists in both Europe and the Middle East, including the recent deaths in Iraq. He clearly stated his abhorrence at the activities of Islamists.

I'm not saying that he is right about everything but please don't accuse of something he did not say. The problem is that people do not always have black and white views about things. He is coming from a human rights perspective. That dosen't mean everything he says is right of course.

Ah amnesty international arsehole I should have known I understand the comments now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Calhoun wrote: »
    Ah amnesty international arsehole I should have known I understand the comments now.

C*unts with their w*nky human rights.

Honestly.

Indeed i am glad that a terrorist was removed from our country after his attempts to prevent his deportation failed. I don't need a biased telling off from O'Gorman every few months.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed i am glad that a terrorist was removed from our country after his attempts to prevent his deportation failed. I don't need a biased telling off from O'Gorman every few months.

I'm not familiar with this story - I've been away and just got back.

Can I ask what bias you think a representative of Amnesty International might have?

You were not listening properly if you think that.

As I understand it, he was making a number of points. He does not think deporting someone back to a country which abuses people's human rights is a good idea and that it flies in the face of the rule of law. He also argued that someone who is suspected of terrorist activity should be investigated, prosecuted and brought before the courts in the normal manner. Colm mentioned the awful destruction of lives by Islamists in both Europe and the Middle East, including the recent deaths in Iraq. He clearly stated his abhorrence at the activities of Islamists.

I'm not saying that he is right about everything but please don't accuse of something he did not say. The problem is that people do not always have black and white views about things. He is coming from a human rights perspective. That dosen't mean everything he says is right of course.

Well, he insists we continue to host this particular Islamist. And cast plenty of doubt on his guilt- despite people who know far more about the zealot than he does having identified him as a threat to this nation.

As well as this, he continues in his unconditional, unquestioning support of the sectarian Islamist: Ibrahim Halawi.

So, yeah, he seems keen to ally with Islamists.

O'Gorman is a turkey campaigning for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Well, he insists we continue to host this particular Islamist. And cast plenty of doubt on his guilt- despite people who know far more about the zealot than he does having identified him as a threat to this nation.

As well as this, he continues in his unconditional, unquestioning support of the sectarian Islamist: Ibrahim Halawi.

So, yeah, he seems keen to ally with Islamists.

O'Gorman is a turkey campaigning for Christmas.

How do you know Ibrahim Halawi is an Islamist? I thought he was imprisoned after taking part in a democratic protest after the undemocratic removal of the Egyptian President by the military. Or maybe you think it is okay for Egypt to continually postpone his court trial. That is the kind of thing that Amnesty would have a problem with.

Okay, I am being deliberately provocative just to demonstrate that you are trotting out sweeping statements, without apparently much thought put into them.

Only George Hook can get away with that!

How do you know Ibrahim Halawi is an Islamist? I thought he was imprisoned after taking part in a democratic protest after the undemocratic removal of the Egyptian President by the military. Or maybe you think it is okay for Egypt to continually postpone his court trial. That is the kind of thing that Amnesty would have a problem with.

Okay, I am being deliberately provocative just to demonstrate that you are trotting out sweeping statements, without apparently much thought put into them.

Only George Hook can get away with that!

Ibrahim Halawi's father is a leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood: an Islamist, Jihadic organisation.

Ibrahim went on stage to incite and encourage an Islamist mob which had earlier been burning Christian families out of their homes.

Despite the claims of his lying clan- it's obvious to any unbiased observer that Ibrahim travelled home to Egypt to support an Islamist movement.

Given these facts, it's clear that he is an Islamist.

The reason his trial is constantly delayed is because Egypt is in the midst of an existential struggle: the administration is struggling to contain Ibrahim's comrades who are attacking religious minorities and security services with the ultimate aim of achieving sharia law and religious "purity" in that country.

They are beleaguered fighting the forces of medieval barbarism which Ibrahim so eagerly promoted and deserve the support of civilised people everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ibrahim Halawi's father is a leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood: an Islamist, Jihadic organisation.

Ibrahim went on stage to incite and encourage an Islamist mob which had earlier been burning Christian families out of their homes.

Despite the claims of his lying clan- it's obvious to any unbiased observer that Ibrahim travelled home to Egypt to support an Islamist movement.

Given these facts, it's clear that he is an Islamist.

The reason his trial is constantly delayed is because Egypt is in the midst of an existential struggle: the administration is struggling to contain Ibrahim's comrades who are attacking religious minorities and security services with the ultimate aim of achieving sharia law and religious "purity" in that country.

They are beleaguered fighting the forces of medieval barbarism which Ibrahim so eagerly promoted and deserve the support of civilised people everywhere.

But don't you know, he was on holidays..... He was happily minding his own business when he accidentally found himself in the middle of a protest........ Poor fella..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

How do you know Ibrahim Halawi is an Islamist? I thought he was imprisoned after taking part in a democratic protest after the undemocratic removal of the Egyptian President by the military.

I dont anybody knows exactly what his motivations are, but his family claim that they went on the usual family holiday and somehow got embroiled in the protest. You dont go on holiday and end up on stage making speeches in between eating 99s on the beach.

His sisters have also been evasive when asked about their father and why he is not involved in helping in their plight to get his son freed. That was noted in the recent documentary Cairo Cellmates on Radio One.

Seems that he is just wrapping himself in the Irish flag because he is in trouble, when the sentiments he expressed before his arrest were quite different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Horse84

I dont anybody knows exactly what his motivations are, but his family claim that they went on the usual family holiday and somehow got embroiled in the protest. You dont go on holiday and end up on stage making speeches in between eating 99s on the beach.

His sisters have also been evasive when asked about their father and why he is not involved in helping in their plight to get his son freed. That was noted in the recent documentary Cairo Cellmates on Radio One.

Seems that he is just wrapping himself in the Irish flag because he is in trouble, when the sentiments he expressed before his arrest were quite different.

This is essentially the case. Why in the name of Christ can't someone come out in the media and just say this? Call it as it bloody is and be straight about it. But no, political correctness has to have it's way again and Kenny and co have to pander to it again. It actually sickens me.

The ultra PC media has itself tied up in knots these days. It's kind of funny to see.

O'Gorman has no problem having a go at the Catholic Church any chance he gets but he won't dare criticise Islam on account of him possibly being accused of all sorts of -isms.

• Advertisement

O'Gorman has no problem having a go at the Catholic Church any chance he gets but he won't dare criticise Islam on account of him possibly being accused of all sorts of -isms.

This was most evident recently when Ali Selim (Islamic Cultural Centre Of Ireland) was interviewed by Ray D'Arcy on Wednesday June 8th 2016, still available on podcast. In the course of that interview Ray D'Arcy asked him "What happens to a Muslim man if he is gay?" to which Ali Selim responded, "Well if he is a gay then he definitely knows that he is committing a sin."

In a follow up question he was asked "what should such a gay man should do?", Dr Ali Selim said "Give it up, man........It's your choice if you want to be or not?............. There was a person who used to be a gay and he walked out of it, and he got married and he had children and he came out and talked about his experience. Unfortunately this man was not given a platform in our media outlets."

Say I to myself "This is gonna kick off now". Wait til Newstalk hear about this. Wait til Colm O'Gorman hears about this. Wait til Una Mullally, who interprets rain falling on her as a form of victimization, hears about this. Victim Village on Saturday Night? But what happened.... NOTHING. It was NEVER mentioned. Of course this was the same week that Newstalk, from Chris Donoghue in the morning to Ger Gilroy in the evening, were dragging Martin O'Neill across the coals for his silly remark about "queers" (for which he had already apologised at this point).

So why would these people be treated differently by the media who ironically like to portray themselves as the "champions of equality". I have deduced this is for one of two reasons:
    1. They are afraid of the Muslims.
    2. They do not want pit minority groups against each other cos they will all lose face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Have to agree with the above. The self appointed moral arbitrators of our society will never hesitate in going after traditional institutions or native for want of a better word, people of influence or power. Yet, you can seem the flailing about the place like a decapitated chicken when people like Ali Selim come out with the above. The guy has a long history of such statements and is rarely challenged. Yet, look at the treatment John Waters got, because he is a conservative catholic it was open season yet he has never said anything near as remotely bad as Ali Selim. Its all a bit pathetic.

It's just about to kick off here. Not Lucky's lucky day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 GottaLaugh

Priceless stuff. Fair play to George for illustrating that they had nothing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Go George....dont let them ram #blacklives matter.

All lives matter...fecking "PC loving, im annoyed brigade".

GottaLaugh wrote: »
    Priceless stuff. Fair play to George for illustrating that they had nothing to say.

They should have gone on Victim Village with Dil if they wanted an easy interview. Everybody on that show is a victim.

Almost any other radio presenter in the country would be castrated enough by PCism to indulge these dribbling, inarticulate professional victims.

Hook is rightfully calling them out on their nonsense.

What a dreadful account this anti-racism network just gave of itself.

Aha, it all makes sense now.. That's Paul Murphy's missus.

google her name Farrah Mokhtareizadh

(I cant post URLs yet as a new user)

Aha, it all makes sense now.. That's Paul Murphy's missus.

google her name Farrah Mokhtareizadh

(I cant post URLs yet as a new user)

I'm not falling for that again.

No sir.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'm not falling for that again.

No sir.

Ah come on donie, have I ever let you down before. I'm just as honest as PeterTheEighth.

The question now is if this is the level of knowledge and clarity from the apparent leaders of this farcical event just how dangerously stupid is the average participant?

And who can take a grown man with a dog's name seriously anyway?

Ridiculous people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ah come on donie, have I ever let you down before. I'm just as honest as PeterTheEighth.

What happened the8th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

my friend wrote: »
    What happened the8th?
    It got amended.

As well as this, he continues in his unconditional, unquestioning support of the sectarian Islamist: Ibrahim Halawi. So, yeah, he seems keen to ally with Islamists. O'Gorman is a turkey campaigning for Christmas.

I mean to respond to this before I went off on my big rant about the media. I have to agree with DeadHand on this. In addition to my point about the the difference in how the media covers controversial things said by Muslim leaders as opposed to controversial things said by Irish football coaches, I wanted to make a further point about Colm O'Gorman.

There is something at play here, that is not obvious, but it conditions how O'Gorman responds. It seems very odd that he would come on radio defending a suspected Muslim terrorist, especially given that he is gay, and that Muslim clerics are teaching Muslims that gays are sinners and that they should "give up being gay". So, why no comment on what what Ali Selim said? Why would he even want people of the Muslim faith in this country, if they throw gay people from tall buildings? Why does he seem to have more disdain for the Iona institute and "no" voters than he does for people who dont just disagree with his opinions, but actually oppress the gay community? I'm always fascinated by contradictions like this, but there are ALWAYS logical reasons behind how people act.

My reasoning - Muslims, gays, Travellers and other minorities all benefit from the victim industry in this country. From listening to something like Global Village, you would be left with the opinion that all the minority groups are all people of roundly similar views, but in many cases these minority groups dont make the most obvious bed fellows. For example, the attitudes towards homosexuality and women in the Muslim culture, and in the Travelling community (as vocalised by Tyson Fury recently), are not consistent. On the face of it you would think that these minority groups should be enemies and possibly be picketing each other's offices!

BUT, the last thing these groups want to do is start squabbling between each other. This would hurt them all politically and financially. In this scenario, EVERBODY LOSES! For this reason they ignore their differences, even though they are diametrically opposed on certain issues. And it is for this reason that O'Gorman will not attack what Ali Selim said. I'd be interested to hear other people's views on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would he even want people of the Muslim faith in this country, if they throw gay people from tall buildings?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Static Control

Yer one wasn't the may west on US geography!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Almost any other radio presenter in the country would be castrated enough by PCism to indulge these dribbling, inarticulate professional victims.

Hook is rightfully calling them out on their nonsense.

What a dreadful account this anti-racism network just gave of itself.

i was listening to this the other day. when George asked him for an example of institutional racism, did he answer with the Magdalene laundries? or was i daydreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sunni Shiites

You would have thought she brought fellow "activist" Lucky along because he'd have some kind of insightful answers for George. He expertly made the pair of them look like the ungrateful fools they are. Epic radio.

I think a lot of these people on the far left are mentally ill. Imagine spending your whole life looking for the next thing you can feel miserable about. Idiots. Do my head in.

Amen George. How anybody doesn't like this great man I will never understand.

does anybody know what George is on about when he speaks about some "investigation in to the mosque in Clonskeagh" which was spoken about on RTE last nite??

• Advertisement

does anybody know what George is on about when he speaks about some "investigation in to the mosque in Clonskeagh" which was spoken about on RTE last nite??

Last night's Primetime. Well worth a watch.

Last night's Primetime. Well worth a watch.

Cheers Har, I had an early night last night (thanks to having read a self help book called The Miracle Morning) so I only found out about the attack this morning. I know the attack happened just after 10:30pm, but was the Prime Time on the mosque PRE the attack, or people making comment after the attack?

Cheers Har, I had an early night last night (thanks to having read a self help book called The Miracle Morning) so I only found out about the attack this morning. I know the attack happened just after 10:30pm, but was the Prime Time on the mosque PRE the attack, or people making comment after the attack?

I haven't seen it in full but it was an investigation so it's just a coincidence. Not looking forward to watching it but I will later.

Cheers Har, I had an early night last night (thanks to having read a self help book called The Miracle Morning)

One of L. Ron Hubbard's is it?

One of L. Ron Hubbard's is it?

Not quite. It's about trying to improve your life by making good use of the morning to prepare yourself for a productive day. You know what they say, "Early to bed, early to rise, absolutely b*ll*xed tired all the live long day".

I haven't seen it in full but it was an investigation so it's just a coincidence. Not looking forward to watching it but I will later.

It's up on the player, just watched it now. Fair play to RTE for telling Hussein Halawa that his sun was in prison in Egypt, I was beginning to think that he hadn't read an Irish newspaper or listened to an Irish radio station for the past three years.

i was listening to this the other day. when George asked him for an example of institutional racism, did he answer with the Magdalene laundries? or was i daydreaming?

He mumbled and garbled his way through the "interview", between the bewildered silences, with all the coherency of a tongueless drunk.

He had an indecipherable accent, a poor command of the English language and did not understand any question put to him.

He had no business on the national airwaves and the woman with him was worse for ducking all responsibility and throwing him in the deep end. These appalling people have them gall to insult the Irish nation by denouncing Irish society as "racist" yet are utterly incapable of arguing their case when pressed.

The very Irish society that protects, sustains and provides them with a national platform despite its apparent evil.

I suspect the hapless Lucky has a far safer, comfortable and fulfilling life here than he would in whichever third world cesspit he/his parents escaped.

Whinging Ingrate.

It's up on the player, just watched it now. Fair play to RTE for telling Hussein Halawa that his sun was in prison in Egypt, I was beginning to think that he hadn't read an Irish newspaper or listened to an Irish radio station for the past three years.

About time a light was shone on that nest of vipers.

The poison being manufactured in Clonskeagh is leading us to Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mod:

Folks,

There are plenty of other places on the site to discuss Nice, Islamist extremists and the EU's response thereof. This thread is not that place. Please try and keep discussion relevant to the show.

Couple of posts deleted.

Cheers,
    wnolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm glad your heart is broken Mr 100k a year finlay

You and the rest of your mindset has the west in the place that it's in

I will miss George

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement