Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

I'm glad your heart is broken Mr 100k a year finlay

You and the rest of your mindset has the west in the place that it's in

I will miss George
    One of L. Ron Hubbard's is it?

Not quite. It's about trying to improve your life by making good use of the morning to prepare yourself for a productive day. You know what they say, "Early to bed, early to rise, absolutely b*ll*xed tired all the live long day".

Bad joke. :) I forgot password for other account..

Does it come with your recommendation?

.delete.

I'm glad your heart is broken Mr 100k a year finlay

You and the rest of your mindset has the west in the place that it's in

I will miss George

Finlay.. The atypical Champagne Red that seems go prosper in the Irish media.

Is George is the only person on Irish radio willing to call a spade a spade when it comes to this horrible and oppressive religion. It sure seems like it. Absolutely admire his bravery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sick and tired of listening to Dan O'Brien. His view of Ireland begins and ends within the environs of the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

I'm going to have a Hook shaped hole in my life on the drive home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

IllBeGrand wrote: »
    I'm going to have a Hook shaped hole in my life on the drive home from work.

That's one gaping rugby prop-shaped void!:P

Do we know if Chris and Sarah's show is starting Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Bad joke. :) I forgot password for other account.. Does it come with your recommendation?

Ah a lot of these books tell you what you know already. Still getting up at 6am, and feeling pretty good, but I find the mid morning tiredness kicks in. You'll have the book read in a couple of hours though so it's not a huge investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

That's one gaping rugby prop-shaped void!:P

Do we know if Chris and Sarah's show is starting Monday?

I don't think the new slots come into play until September, Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Hook is the most important figure on the Irish airwaves.

Not because he is the best or even a good broadcaster- he is not particularly.

He is essential for the simple reason he is unique: he is the only man I know of on mainstream media uninfected by the cowardly madness of political correctness. He is the only one speaking the truth on immigration and Islam- very much in line with the silent, cowed majority- bullied into silence by various smug, professionally offended creeps and the prevailing "liberal" dogma they enforce viciously.

George is many things but he is not bullied. He speaks his mind, while he is not always right he is never afraid.

When he is gone the Irish mainstream media will be populated almost entirely by beige, neutered wretches who will spout the same nonsense about "religion of peace", "tiny minority", "mental issues" and "foreign intervention" as the Islamic atrocities keep rolling in. These traitors will also continue to propagate Halawi/Clonskeagh lies and propaganda.

Our media will become slightly more submissive to the Islamist cause. Which is dangerous as a supine, craven European media has contributed handsomely to the new reality in mainland Europe: mass rape and regular massacre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Horse84

DeadHand wrote: »

Not because he is the best or even a good broadcaster- he is not particularly.

He is essential for the simple reason he is unique: he is the only man I know of on mainstream media uninfected by the cowardly madness of political correctness. He is the only one speaking the truth on immigration and Islam- very much in line with the silent, cowed majority- bullied into silence by various smug, professionally offended creeps and the prevailing "liberal" dogma they enforce viciously.

George is many things but he is not bullied. He speaks his mind, while he is not always right he is never afraid.

When he is gone the Irish mainstream media will be populated almost entirely by beige, neutered wretches who will spout the same nonsense about "religion of peace", "tiny minority", "mental issues" and "foreign intervention" as the Islamic atrocities keep rolling in. These traitors will also continue to propagate Halawi/Clonskeagh lies and propaganda.

Our media will become slightly more submissive to the Islamist cause. Which is dangerous as a supine, craven European media has contributed handsomely to the new reality in mainland Europe: mass rape and regular massacre.

You're spot on. Very well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Bloody hell, we're really fucked then.

George is "terrified" by the islamic threat in the same way is he was terrified be avian bird flu a few years back. A couple a weeks ago he started the show with one of his 'islamic pearl' rants citing a knife attack on a German train, except it turns out the attacker was in fact a German national with a history of mental illness. There was no retraction from George the next day of course.

Yes, there is a threat but George's theatrical hysterics isn't going to help anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Remember when he wore the black armband because rugby went to Sky?

Then he turned up on...ads for Sky?

I love the old b*stard, but I don't really take anything he says seriously.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    George is "terrified" by the islamic threat in the same way is he was terrified be avian bird flu a few years back

Dozens of children crushed under the wheels of a lorry doesn't terrify you?

An elderly priest ritualistically butchered in his own church doesn't terrify you?

People are rightly terrified, because through the madness of mass immigration, a depraved ideology has been allowed to gain a beachhead in what was a relatively harmonious Europe prior to its growth and mobilisation.

Innocent Europeans are dying horribly on a regular basis as a result. And it's just starting- it will not end. Belief is too strong on the side of Islam and too weak on the side of freedom.

Dozens of children crushed under the wheels of a lorry doesn't terrify you?

An elderly priest ritualistically butchered in his own church doesn't terrify you?

No, I'm not terrified. The chances of getting caught up in a terrorist attack are still astronomical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

DeadHand wrote:
    Innocent Europeans are dying horribly on a regular basis as a result. And it's just starting- it will not end. Belief is too strong on the side of Islam and too weak on the side of freedom.

As bad and worse and on a much, much larger scale has been done by the forces of "freedom" in just the last 20 years.

However, this isn't the place to discuss it. I stay out of the politics forums and After Hours for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

However, this isn't the place to discuss it. I stay out of the politics forums and After Hours for a reason.

Mod: Precisely.

This thread is for discussion of The Right Hook, not mass immigration, not whether or not Islam is to blame for recent attacks, not for discussion of recent attacks.

So drop it now please and get back to discussing what's actually happening on the show, or the next time people will be taking a break from the forum for a while.

I stay out of the politics forums and After Hours for a reason.

As do I- but probably for a different reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I will miss the old duffer when he goes, reckon there will be some tears on Fri evening, lord knows the slightest thing seems to set him off most days

I will miss the old duffer when he goes, reckon there will be some tears on Fri evening, lord knows the slightest thing seems to set him off most days

Oh god, I forgot it's this friday. I will miss George. So what choice do we have now? Mary Wilson vs Chris Donoghue vs The Pigeon. :(

It's not looking good is it?

He's moving to a 12-2pm slot now, isn't he?

• Advertisement

sheep? wrote: »
    He's moving to a 12-2pm slot now, isn't he?

I think he said yesterday that new schedule starts on the 19th of September.

I have a feeling it's a mix of Tara Duggan and Coleman until September. Dear God. Will be audiobooks in the afternoon for the forseeable future. Can't see me getting through more than an hour of new drivetime in September but we will have to see.

The Right Hook is a huge loss to drivetime radio. On the other hand, getting rid of Healy from lunchtime can only be a good thing. George's voice remaining on Irish radio is necessary in these uncertain times.

Wait so this Friday is the last ever Right Hook with George at the helm? Ah jaysus. :(

A month and a half of stand ins as well? :(

Sadly yes. Combined with two days a week of Bobby Kerr on Breakfast.

This fella didn't explain his business very well. He made it sound like he was the only one delivering through the site. Had to drag it out of him..

Don't know about the viability of this one tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

another drop in the JNLRs for Hook, lost 8% of listeners since this time last year.
    guess there's only so many pieces on concussion and hysterical, moronic, reactionary opinions on immigration that people can take....

I hope Michael Graham continues on this slot with Chris. :pac:

George just played the Michael D "wanker!" clip

Rarely gets a spin on Irish radio.

Unfortunately he played the censored version!

Cian Murtagh: "Shakhtar Donetsk"

George: "Positively erotic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

George just played the Michael D "wanker!" clip

Rarely gets a spin on Irish radio.

Unfortunately he played the censored version!

I had never heard that before! :pac:

Positively epic rant in fairness.

Just out of interest, I'm assuming that's an edited piece and that Graham actually said some stuff in between some of the clips?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The whole thing is on Youtube, it was broadcast May 2010 as far as I remember.

I enjoyed him explaining about how he got the show in the first place.

Seems like a revival of the old Friday panel on now.

^ LOL, they just played it on the show. Michael D embarrassed himself that day.

I think just the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was a nice send off for the show. Don't agree with most of his opinions but he brought something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

George chaired that debate very well letting them at each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I am going to miss the old codger, evenings wont be the same without him. Flipping bland radio next week probably and then again in the Autumn I suppose.

Totally selfish man granted, but although I dont always (mostly do though) agree with him, he is always entertaining.At least I have his new show to look forward to in September.

He even had me emotional on his last show listening to him on my walk in the glorious sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm wrecked the old bugger is finished.

I think he talks an awful lot of nonsense, but at least he has an actual personality.

Thanks George. Looking forward to your lunchtime rambling.

I think just the opposite.

Were you not surprised that such an "intellectual" man resorted to name calling when he'd lost the argument.

Were you not surprised that such an "intellectual" man resorted to name calling when he'd lost the argument.

Even the most highly educated occasionally lose it when faced with deliberate obtuseness and ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Always enjoyed listening when he had Doctor Ciara in

Shame he won't be there on the drive home anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Deedsie wrote: »

An honour to have such a principled man as the president of our country.

We'll see how principled he really is over the next few months.

One of the main points of his Presidential Election campaign was that he would only serve one term.

Recently there has been signs of a u-turn on that score. Not exactly the actions of principled man....

usually I'd agree Peter, but there's a big difference between some yobbo with his fist in his underpants calling a passerby a wanker, and calling someone a wanker at the climax of an impassioned and eloquent speech, probably delivered without any notes, in true Micky D style.

Another great thinker, Mary Robinson, never plumbed the depths of her intellect like Michael D does. She had the intelligence to be as forthright as Michael D, but neither she nor McAleese (whom I think was a dud, anyway) managed to use intellectualism and ethics to affect national and political conversation.

I'd love to hear Mary Robinson call someone a wanker. Now that's 'the common touch'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

By sending the right wing loon home with his tail firmly between his legs? If you consider that embarrasing yourself, I guess...

You need to be EXTREMELY tied to Graham's side to even think he wasn't solidly beaten there - by a non professional broadcaster, hilariously. Although Graham spent some time as a non-professional if you require being paid and actually having a show to be professional, of course.

Had hadn't lost the argument. Graham was torn to shreds. I'm not sure you actually listened to what was there rather than what you wanted to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Believe me, had Michael Graham called Higgins a "jerk-off", social media would have erupted, SMS systems would have gone kaput, email servers would have broken down and the politicos would have had a hissy fit; newspaper headlines would have made us think the country had been nuked, and the American ambassador would have been called to Leinster House.

But somehow it was all ok for a man running for president to call a broadcaster names. It was very presidential and very dignified. I guess we have different standards on this side of the pond, or maybe things have changed in the few years since.

https://youtu.be/g__NPFmz1Z0?t=28 Only about 10 seconds, and mild compared to Higgins outburst.

DubTony wrote: »
    Believe me, had Michael Graham called Higgins a "jerk-off", social media would have erupted, SMS systems would have gone kaput, email servers would have broken down and the politicos would have had a hissy fit; newspaper headlines would have made us think the country had been nuked, and the American ambassador would have been called to Leinster House.

But somehow it was all ok for a man running for president to call a broadcaster names. It was very presidential and very dignified. I guess we have different standards on this side of the pond, or maybe things have changed in the few years since.

https://youtu.be/g__NPFmz1Z0?t=28 Only about 10 seconds, and mild compared to Higgins outburst.

Ah yes, a far cry from Donald Trumps "presidential and dignified" campaign.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'll miss George when he retires. None of this namby panby snowflake stuff just good old common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Simon Delaney the permanent replacement on the Right Hook - surely not? Why is the show still called "The Right Hook"? :confused:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is Simon Delaney the permanent replacement on the Right Hook - surely not? Why is the show still called "The Right Hook"? :confused:

No, Chris Donoghue and Sarah McInerney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Ah yes, a far cry from Donald Trumps "presidential and dignified" campaign.:rolleyes:

Yeah. Right.

Any reasonable person will agree that name calling during a debate is an act of folly. Irrespective of how the debate may be going, the mere act of calling an opponent a name negates everything that has just been said.

Being lauded for his action shows that Higgins wasn't the only fool. While he himself likely regrets the name calling, thousands of others think he's a great lad for telling the yank how it is.

It seems it's OK for our fella to do it. How quaintly Irish.

DubTony wrote: »

Any reasonable person will agree that name calling during a debate is an act of folly. Irrespective of how the debate may be going, the mere act of calling an opponent a name negates everything that has just been said.

Being lauded for his action shows that Higgins wasn't the only fool. While he himself likely regrets the name calling, thousands of others think he's a great lad for telling the yank how it is.

It seems it's OK for our fella to do it. How quaintly Irish.

It's from 2010 when Higgins was just an opposition TD. I wasn't a big deal at the time, it's only years later that it went viral. Whether you think Graham got what he deserved, or not, very much depends on your own worldview. Personally, I mutter very similar expressions about Graham as I reach for the off button whenever he comes on the radio.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement