Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Right Hook, Newstalk. With George Hook. Topic for discussion - Always George Hook

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

DubTony wrote: »
    Yeah. Right.

Any reasonable person will agree that name calling during a debate is an act of folly. Irrespective of how the debate may be going, the mere act of calling an opponent a name negates everything that has just been said.

I disagree with you on this. I think this "it negates everything" nonsense is an overly simplistic and immature way of looking at a situation, and completely removes context and nuance from it.

While no-one takes someone seriously if they go around swearing and insulting people at every opportunity (a certain US presidential candidate is proving this...), this particular instance involved a growing anger and build up of pressure on the part of Higgins, until finally that exploded forth.

Think of it like arguing with someone on Boards who keeps throwing nonsensical counter arguments out there long after they've clearly lost. Eventually, you'll snap and call them out for being the twat that they are. That doesn't magically invalidate your previous points, no more than it magically makes their stuff true.

The fact that it came from someone normally so eloquent, to me, just increases the impact of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

DubTony wrote: »
    Yeah. Right.

Any reasonable person will agree that name calling during a debate is an act of folly. Irrespective of how the debate may be going, the mere act of calling an opponent a name negates everything that has just been said.

Being lauded for his action shows that Higgins wasn't the only fool. While he himself likely regrets the name calling, thousands of others think he's a great lad for telling the yank how it is.

It seems it's OK for our fella to do it. How quaintly Irish.

How human, more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    It's from 2010 when Higgins was just an opposition TD. I wasn't a big deal at the time, it's only years later that it went viral. Whether you think Graham got what he deserved, or not, very much depends on your own worldview. Personally, I mutter very similar expressions about Graham as I reach for the off button whenever he comes on the radio.

I heard it on the day. It was simply, in my opinion, atrocious behaviour from a man I would have expected better of. Maybe I was half listening to the show, but I didn't pick up anything Graham said that warranted it (that's not to say that he can't be an annoying arse). Worldview aside, what I learnt in school and at home was pretty basic; whoever hits or calls names first - loses.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I disagree with you on this. I think this "it negates everything" nonsense is an overly simplistic and immature way of looking at a situation, and completely removes context and nuance from it.

While no-one takes someone seriously if they go around swearing and insulting people at every opportunity (a certain US presidential candidate is proving this...), this particular instance involved a growing anger and build up of pressure on the part of Higgins, until finally that exploded forth.

Think of it like arguing with someone on Boards who keeps throwing nonsensical counter arguments out there long after they've clearly lost. Eventually, you'll snap and call them out for being the twat that they are. That doesn't magically invalidate your previous points, no more than it magically makes their stuff true.

The fact that it came from someone normally so eloquent, to me, just increases the impact of it.

I guess I'm old school. The rules were simple. Don't call people names at all. Others will only remember that incident and not the content of the debate. On top of that, you'll have let yourself down and quite likely let an idiot get the upper hand. Context and nuance don't matter. It's similar to hitting somebody. First punch loses. The bigger man is supposed to be above that etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Graham is a sneering creep. He refers to everyone on this side of the pond as Euroweenies nearly every time he opens his mouth. Of course he's a ouanquer.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is Simon Delaney the permanent replacement on the Right Hook - surely not? Why is the show still called "The Right Hook"? :confused:
    In light of the new (temporary) host, I propose renaming the show 'A right eejit'

I think I'm just going to switch from Newstalk for the month of August. Pat's off, and is being replaced by Jonathan Healy; Hook gone, replaced by a pretty mediocre host whom I have an irrational dislike for anyway; and for some reason, they keep changing the hosts for Breakfast NT.

They might as well take the station off air for the month. They have zero interest in decent programming for the remainder of this schedule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Graham is a sneering creep. He refers to everyone on this side of the pond as Euroweenies nearly every time he opens his mouth. Of course he's a ouanquer.

I remember a few years ago he was whimpering like a kicked dog after Moncrieff called him an arsehole on air, he's well able to throw out the insults but he can't take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In light of the new (temporary) host, I propose renaming the show 'A right eejit'

I think I'm just going to switch from Newstalk for the month of August. Pat's off, and is being replaced by Jonathan Healy; Hook gone, replaced by a pretty mediocre host whom I have an irrational dislike for anyway; and for some reason, they keep changing the hosts for Breakfast NT.

They might as well take the station off air for the month. They have zero interest in decent programming for the remainder of this schedule.

Incomprehensible that they didn't roll out the new schedule right after the Right Hook finished up. God knows the new 'first team' are weak enough without having to spend however many weeks with their stand-ins...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ive no idea who was on today.

it was so woeful i didnt stick around to find out.

is broadcasting SO inbred in this country they cant find anyone decent to fill in?

theres local radio stations the length and breadth of the country FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

ive no idea who was on today.

it was so woeful i didnt stick around to find out.

is broadcasting SO inbred in this country they cant find anyone decent to fill in?

theres local radio stations the length and breadth of the country FFS.

Simon Delaney, George is BADLY missed................:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

jimmyw wrote:
    Simon Delaney, George is BADLY missed................

I thought he wasn't too bad as a presenter, but not in this sort of show. Maybe a late night type thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I think someone has pressed a self destruct button for the month of august wtf is going on an experiment to shed listeners. Vincent Wall sounded good this morning I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I thought the interview with the vegan lad would never end...

I thought the interview with the vegan lad would never end...

Vegans are fully entitled to consume what ever they like, but anytime there is someone on from that group, I cant help but feel that they are talking down to those who love their feed- a -mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Tuned in today, and listened to some kind of "Stream of consciousness" monologue. Switched off after a couple of minutes and looked at the scenery as I drove. Some load of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Nekarsulm wrote:
    Tuned in today, and listened to some kind of "Stream of consciousness" monologue. Switched off after a couple of minutes and looked at the scenery as I drove. Some load of rubbish.

In all fairness, that's a good description of George's first half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Too much of a "lads down the pub having a chat" vibe about this.

God knows the new 'first team' are weak enough without having to spend however many weeks with their stand-ins...

This is the thing I find baffling. And for the exact same reason. The new uninspiring line up that was announced with such fanfare really are going to struggle I feel. But having period of treating the station like College FM until they start is just gonna kill the thing stone dead.

And having Muttley standing in for George Hook, on what used to be my favourite show, is really getting on my nerves now.

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

Simon Delaney is terrible. Just way out of his depth in this position. Only passable thing I've heard so far was the tv and film section given his background. He wasn't overly knowledgeable there either but I found it interesting enough.

I have always enjoyed him presenting the catastrophy that is the IFTA's but he's not fit from prime time radio. Nothing against him but he just doesn't belong.

The pub section was cringeworthy and th3 vegan from yesterday has already been mentioned.

George is far and away my favourite Irish radio broadcaster and I don't see anybody even coming close to replacing him in this slot.

The Right Hook should have ended last Friday. Keeping the name is a bit of a swindle at best!

Newstalk really dont have any objectivity any more. they are more like a Democratic lobby group at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I've just tuned into The Right Hook for the first time in ages. My God, Simon Delaney is just atrocious.

He just whistled. Wtf?
    He's constantly pausing as if for dramatic effect when none is needed.
    His puns are as funny as Joe Duffy's (i.e. not funny at all).
    His Twitter handle is "@SimonDelaneyESQ" seriously?
    His faux stupidity/innocence/lack of knowledge is laughable.
    He just said "coming up, Essential Science with Bill Hughes". I'm not a regular listener anymore but I'm sure it's "Essential Sounds". If not I apologise.

I could go on but I'm too tired to continue listening to this garbage.

Edit: it's called "Essential Songs"

This show is a bit confusing to me, I thought the last EVER right hook was broadcast on last Friday.Now we have most of the features of that show,i.e, films,business,essential songs, kick start a business. Its even called "the right hook".

Maybe they tricked or misled George into thinking it was the last one?????

You cant replace George, but considering, Simon is not TOO bad.Trying to be light hearted at least.

Wonder who will be there next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I've just tuned into The Right Hook for the first time in ages. My God, Simon Delaney is just atrocious.

He just whistled. Wtf?
    He's constantly pausing as if for dramatic effect when none is needed.
    His puns are as funny as Joe Duffy's (i.e. not funny at all).
    His Twitter handle is "@SimonDelaneyESQ" seriously?
    His faux stupidity/innocence/lack of knowledge is laughable.
    He just said "coming up, Essential Science with Bill Hughes". I'm not a regular listener anymore but I'm sure it's "Essential Sounds". If not I apologise.

I could go on but I'm too tired to continue listening to this garbage.

Edit: it's called "Essential Songs"

Last night I got out of the car as Bill was playing Ricky Martin's tune for Essential Songs, this morning I got into the car at 530, turned on the radio right in the middle of the same song on Newstalk's playback of Essential songs!

I agree Simon is not suited to this slot. Kids, eating, acting seem to be to him what kids, porridge & running are to D'Arcy. He works well on these segments but doesn't work on his own or interviews. Still better than Chris Donohue though

It seems like Simon Delaney isnt really taking the thing seriously, and seems under no obligation to do the job professionally. A bit like his character in Bachelor's Walk to be honest.

"It's GUT Wrenching, Mick, it's gut wrenching".

ffs, You didnt know who Mick O'Reilly was until yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I nearly got sick in my mouth when I heard that too.

What makes me get even sicker in my mouth is the double standards.......a few weeks ago those Russian athletes were savaged (rightly so) but when it's one of ours it's a case of 'How hard it must be for him, the poor fella. How's he coping' etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good old Moncrieff.

"Coming up next is...who's coming up next? Johnathan Healy? Johnathan Healy is the next person in the roundabout! We'll talk to you tomorrow..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good old Moncrieff.

"Coming up next is...who's coming up next? Johnathan Healy? Johnathan Healy is the next person in the roundabout! We'll talk to you tomorrow..."

coming up next, Tara Dugg....

switches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I hope this isn't the start of Simon Delaney's radio career...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tars Duggan just killed Gay Mitchell - referring to 'the late'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Somebody needs to tell that wanker that not everybody goes on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jonathan Healy is going to need surgery to remove his tongue from Niall Gibbons' arse after that performance. :mad:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy is going to need surgery to remove his tongue from Niall Gibbons' arse after that performance. :mad:

He's probably hoping that Gibbons will give him a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

****ing Healy on The Right Hook!!! Tuned in for the first time this week and he was having the bants with the olympic rower. Painful!!!!

I would listen to a year of Global Village before listing to two and half hours of misery guts Healy!!

NT programming director should be given the bullet.

Agreed.
    Dill Victim-a-Singer is hard to listen to, but JH isn't much better.

Yous will be safe next week as Jonathon will be on the breakfast show next week.

Fcuking musical chairs.

Is this some sort of postmodern, experimental radio?

I don't bother with Breakfast NT, Lunchtime or the Right Hook anymore because of the bungling replacements, and as a consequence, I tend to miss the bulk of the schedule in-between (PK and Moncrieff)

What is the sense of having Jonathan Healy rolling around untethered when his own show is manned by somebody else?

For a station that has worked so hard, and spent so much cash, to get a foothold in the market, Newstalk seem to be in self-destruct mode. And that applies to a lot of the new schedule, too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Rambling Rake

The old duffer sure is missed in the evenings. Nothing to listen to between Moncrieff and OTB.

Hopefully Ivan is back at some point and takes over Drivetime.

Sent an email to Denis outlining what I perceive as the malaise at the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Send an email to Denis outlining what I perceive as the malaise at the station.

Hope you got your lawyer to check over it first.

Hope you got your lawyer to check over it first.

whats he gonna do? Sue me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Fcuking musical chairs.

Is this some sort of postmodern, experimental radio?

I don't bother with Breakfast NT, Lunchtime or the Right Hook anymore because of the bungling replacements, and as a consequence, I tend to miss the bulk of the schedule in-between (PK and Moncrieff)

What is the sense of having Jonathan Healy rolling around untethered when his own show is manned by somebody else?

For a station that has worked so hard, and spent so much cash, to get a foothold in the market, Newstalk seem to be in self-destruct mode. And that applies to a lot of the new schedule, too.

Giving everyone in the parish a go when the "big hitters"are on holidays.

Has been a relief from the xenophobia though the last couple of weeks.
    Even if he's right some of the time it was...every...bloody. ..day.

I really don't understand Newstalk putting Jonathan Healy on The Right Hook. They are getting rid of him off his own show because the ratings are not good, and then decide to put him in temporarily host one of their better shows. I had to switch off, and I dont think Chris Donoghue will encourage me to switch back on.

I dont think you could get a presenter with more diametrically opposed on air opinions to George Hook to present his show. For me, Healy represents the worst element of the media. His popularist opinions and "everything is the Government's fault" attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I can't listen to Tara Duggan at all.

That tone of voice just makes me feel like I'm constantly being given out to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yamanoto wrote: »

Simple Definition of strident

• : sounding harsh and unpleasant
    • : expressing opinions or criticism in a very forceful and often annoying or unpleasant way

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/strident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tara Duggan is from the Moncrieff School of Lefty SJW Liberalism. Not good at all for drivetime after a long days work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yamanoto wrote: »

Hahaha.

I had that exact thought in the car on the way home. I was thinking "Why am I in trouble? I've never even been to Kos."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Duggan seems to be on the station a lot more since she supposedly left a year ago.

Can't undetstand why didn't they keep George on till the end of August anyway, but the decision making on Newstalk hasn't been great lately.....

My neighbor will be filling in on tomorrows show, and then my dog will be starting next week, I am so proud.........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I once complained that George was forcing Bill Hughes to talk about ancient geriatric hokum in his music slot. Christ, the alternative is f***in' awful. Pink, Nickleback, Liberty X, Shakira... this defined 2002? Nickleback in his words, " a wonderful band". Bill is as out of touch as George, just in a different way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement