Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding in Coill Beag Ratoath

Options
  • 14-01-2015 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Buying a house in Coill Beag but worried about the river and flooding around that area? Could anyone local help reassure me or at least give me their experiences. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Don't know the history myself but you could have a look at www.floodmaps.ie for any historical floods that were recorded in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Aidan Harney

I put a similar post on a Duleek query a while back.
    Ill put a response together about where you can get the best current data.
    I dont know the estate and could probably identify it really easily but you can do it just as quick!!

Google the words (maps dot opw dot ie) but put a dot where I have written dot.
    There is a website with that name giving OPW maps and data.
    Go to the flood hazard and risk maps.

zoom in on Ratoath- find the bit you are on about.

Different shades of blue represent different AEPs (probabilities).
    Lots at risk for the 0.1% AEP or 1 in 1000 year event.
    Lots at risk for the 1% AEP or 1 in 100 year event, but way way less than the 0.1% as there is a scheme in Duleek built by the OPW and the Standard of protection for that scheme is to the 1% AEP.

You are lucky to have this information as this represents predictive flood risk.
    Normally you only get historical flood risk - on floodmaps dot ie (again, cant post the actual name!! super)
    OPW are working towards getting this standard of predictive flood risk mapping for the main areas at risk as soon as possible - go to www dot cfram dot ie for more info.
    again - put dots rather than writing dots. super.
    Ratoath, like the Duleek query earlier, happened to be in the FEMFRAM pilot study as said above so is done early.

The flood extents shown are for fluvial or river flooding.
    They do not take into account the risk of a culvert or bridge blocking.
    They do not look at pluvial flooding from extreme rainfall.
    They do not take into account the urban drainage.

Hope all that helps you make an informed decision.

Advertisement