Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a property

Options
  • 14-01-2015 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am a landlady of 8 years and been lucky with 2 tenats over this period. However as both lease have been long termish I have been a little carless in paperwork and inspections.

Any way my question is what would you expect in a rental property? As in Furniture, appliance, soft furnishings and any thing else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What do you like in your Own home ? What is necessary ! Start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oceanblue

As a renter I see varying levels and standards of furnishings etc in houses. I think it depends on the rental price level you want to charge or standard you want to go for. and the type of tenants you wish to attract.

For me personally I cringe when i see bits of furniture that look like were being given away to thrown out, but sent to a rental property instead. Also a cringe for dated old carpet and old pictures on the walls

For appliances a fridge, washing machine, dryer are a must. Things that you can't easily move along to rental properties. I wouldn't expect smaller appliances to be supplied. Of course if you were renting rooms out separately to people sharing a house that would be different case.

For furnishing the larger items are usually nice. beds and sofa, wardrobe. Of course you can have it unfurnished if it is your choice.

I think maybe have a look on daft.ie at other rental properties advertised and what is included. Also consider the type of renter you want(e.g family, student etc) and think of it from their perspective.

Also I would consider how the property is presented, i.e. how it looks in pictures and to people viewing it. Sometimes I see pictures with kitchen worktops with clutter and people's things in advert photos and I think it looks off-putting. I have viewed places that were dirty, which doesn't leave a good impression

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

mrsm32 wrote: »
    Any way my question is what would you expect in a rental property? As in Furniture, appliance, soft furnishings and any thing else

You can start by looking at the minimum legal standards:
    • A sink with hot and cold water
    • A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
    • A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
    • Facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, for example, a 4-ring hob with oven and grill, fridge-freezer and microwave oven
    • Access to a washing machine
    • Access to a clothes-dryer if the rented unit does not have a private garden or yard
    • A fire blanket and smoke alarms
    • Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities
    In multi-unit buildings, the landlord must provide each unit with a mains-wired smoke alarm; a fire blanket; and an emergency evacuation plan. There must also be emergency lighting in common areas.

Advertisement