Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 5 - Battery manufacturing issue

• 14-01-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I purchased my iPhone 5 in September 2012. In recent months the battery has gone really really bad. I googled to see if there was an issue and I found that iPhone 5's manufactured at the time I purchased mine may have faulty batteries. So I entered my Serial number and Bingo, my phone is eligible for a battery replacement. https://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone5-battery/

I went through the step by step process of how it will be replaced, and at the end I was prompted to pay €87 because I do am not covered. Surely Apple should replace the battery regardless of whether I had cover or not as it is a manufacturing issue.

I then phoned up Apple Support and found that because I am not covered I will need to pay around €30 just to talk to someone about my issue.

Such terrible customer service. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Did you buy the phone direct from apple? if not why would you think they will deal with you?

You need to contact the point of sale and see can they offer any solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I bought the phone from Telecom in New Zealand when I was living there.

Does that mean my only option is to deal with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes and Apple definitely won't entertain you unless you pay. You can get the battery changed for €40 or less in some shops.

Cool, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

That can't be right, can it? If they have a battery replacement program why would it only apply to iPhones bought directly from them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

brophs wrote: »
    That can't be right, can it? If they have a battery replacement program why would it only apply to iPhones bought directly from them?

It's because it was bought in New Zealand, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

I believe it's because the phone is out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And the battery replacement only applied to a certain batch on phones. The Oap's phone mustn't be in that batch. I know mine wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My phone shut down completely and it cost me €80 for a replacement refurb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

The OP phone is eligible for battery replacement.
    You should start your conversation with the apple support saying you are eligible for battery replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

The OP phone is eligible for battery replacement.
    You should start your conversation with the apple support saying you are eligible for battery replacement.

This is true however if the iPhone model number is different to that sold in Europe or the country he is claiming in ( Ireland ) then Apple can refuse to do this for free.

If you were back in New Zealand then it would be covered.

This is going on the premise that the system is telling you, your iPhone is covered, your just not covered for free in Ireland then.

Also the first 30 euro they charge you to speak to them about this issue is taken into account. So if the battery costs 50 euro, then its another 20 euro they charge you.

Source : Direct previous experience

And the battery replacement only applied to a certain batch on phones. The Oap's phone mustn't be in that batch. I know mine wasn't.

My phone was in that batch,

I entered my serial number into an online thing and it said I was elligible for the battery replacement program.

Either way I will just pay the €40 to get it changed here. My battery is useless now. If have 100% before going to bed, with the brightness down as low as possible and all my apps closed, it will under 10% in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smiley_face400

If you bought in NZ and are using it in Ireland is it then jailbroken? No matter when you bought your phone or if there are manufacturing faults with it you may have voided any warranty you have with apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

If you bought in NZ and are using it in Ireland is it then jailbroken? No matter when you bought your phone or if there are manufacturing faults with it you may have voided any warranty you have with apple

iTunes > Restore

And you get your warranty back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ring Apple and ask for an exception to cover the cost of the support interaction.
    in the end, even if you pay 30 quid to talk to them, it will be refunded as it's a hardware issue.

Then tell them that your battery was eligable, but now it's not.

Advertisement