Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 - 2015 - proof of funds???

Options
  • 14-01-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I know there's loads of posts about J1s already but my question relates specifically to the proof of funds part - the USIT and SAYIT websites both say that students on J1s need to be able to prove they have a certain amount of money upon entering the US (approximately 800). A lot of people on here have said that the total cost of a J1 including the USIT/SAYIT stuff, flights, embassy visit and all that comes to about 1500/1800 - I'm assuming this DOESN'T include the money you need to have upon getting there? It's just hardly anyone seems to mention that part and even though you don't need it til you actually get as far as immigration in the airport, I need to know now so I can plan how much I need to save/borrow/steal over the next few months! If anyone has any insight into this I'd reeeeally appreciate it! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

mortyn93 wrote: »
    I know there's loads of posts about J1s already but my question relates specifically to the proof of funds part - the USIT and SAYIT websites both say that students on J1s need to be able to prove they have a certain amount of money upon entering the US (approximately 800). A lot of people on here have said that the total cost of a J1 including the USIT/SAYIT stuff, flights, embassy visit and all that comes to about 1500/1800 - I'm assuming this DOESN'T include the money you need to have upon getting there? It's just hardly anyone seems to mention that part and even though you don't need it til you actually get as far as immigration in the airport, I need to know now so I can plan how much I need to save/borrow/steal over the next few months! If anyone has any insight into this I'd reeeeally appreciate it! :D

Personally I think, and am hoping to get the lot for about €900/€1100. Atm J1.ie are offering the actual J1 programme for €95, insurance including free exam repeat cover for €175, embassy fee is €140, sevis fee €35. That's €445 excluding flights. Now I'm not sure how these companies work flights. I know with Travel Bug, you book your own flights. New York (where I hope to go) is from €640 on J1.ie so that's a total of €1085 euro.

Yeah I'm also worried about that proof of fund part too :P I think you need about 1000 euro. It depends. Basically I plan on saving everything for the next few months to ensure I have that proof of funds, because my parents said if I want to do it, I have to pay for the entire thing myself. Then when yo get to America, it's certainly beg, borrow and steal :P Hopefully get a job early, and that's everything sorted really.

Advertisement