Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction at 38/39 weeks

Options
  • 14-01-2015 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hello! My consultant is planning to induce me in week 38/39 for medical reasons, though I haven't been given an exact date yet. The main reasons are a prior history of shoulder dystocia, the size of the baby (measuring > 95th percentile) and polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid).

I was induced on my first the day before her due date, so I know how an induction goes (it was a LONG couple of days) but I was wondering if anyone had experience of being induced early, or what questions I should be asking my doctor etc, or just anything really!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I was induced at exactly 38 weeks and was told that it was very unlikely that there would be any issues as the baby was considered full term. I asked about steroid injections for the babys lungs but was told it wouldn't be necessary. Induction went smoothly and 9 hours later the little fella was born 7lb1oz and not a bother on him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask for your Bishop Score. It'll give you and the consultant an idea of how ready your body is for induction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Id love more info from people who've been through it. I'm looking at an induction before 40 weeks for high BP but there's no sign of baby being ready yet (I'm 38+3) so how does it work if I'm not dilated or anything??!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

There was a good thread a few months ago on induction. Sorry I'm on phone and can't find it now. I think Merkin started it.

Marz66 wrote: »
    There was a good thread a few months ago on induction. Sorry I'm on phone and can't find it now. I think Merkin started it.

Bored in perinatal so I'll have a browse back :)

• Advertisement

I found it since just in case
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057223590

My basic understanding is that if you're not dilated, the induction will induce contractions which will cause cervix to dilate. Could be a slow process though :(

I found it since just in case
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057223590

My basic understanding is that if you're not dilated, the induction will induce contractions which will cause cervix to dilate. Could be a slow process though :(

Got it too. Good to read others experiences albeit not always positive. I prefer to be prepared

I know, best to know what could be ahead. Hope you have one of the positive experiences - best of luck!!

I know, best to know what could be ahead. Hope you have one of the positive experiences - best of luck!!

Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Was induced between 38/39 weeks for medical reasons also. Found it much easier than my first labour.
    Baby was not engaged.

Gel was applied late in the evening (around 11pm). Mild contractions started a few hours later. I think they do a second go at gel if nothing has started by about 8am the next day, but mine was going. Progressed to 3cm, asked for and got epidural, baby arrived.

Baby was covered in white vernix layer, which caught me off guard for a few seconds, as my first was way overdue with no vernix left. All good though, that vernix seems to be great for the baby skin, she has fab skin altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I was induced at a day shy of 39 weeks due to developing high blood pressure. Baby was high and my cervix was closed. They applied gel in the morning, again that evening and again the following morning. In between I was allowed out for walks and kept bouncing on the gym ball which I think helped get the baby's head down.

By the evening of day 2 I was still barely getting any cramps, but I had dilated to 2cm so they broke my waters. Things went *very* quickly after that and I got an epidural early on. To everyone's surprise he was born after just 5 hours of active labour!

He was small at birth and had low blood sugars which could be blamed on the high blood pressure and the labetelol respectively. We were out after the usual three days though and he's absolutely flying it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ps, second labour is different to first labour. It can be much much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

My first was induced the day she was due (preeclampsia) but it took hours from the first contraction to birth the day after -30 or 40 hours. Exhausting stuff altogether.

I'm hoping labour 2 will be quicker, but was worried than being induced early would slow things. Off to read that other thread now, thanks for digging it up!

Kash wrote: »
    My first was induced the day she was due (preeclampsia) but it took hours from the first contraction to birth the day after -30 or 40 hours. Exhausting stuff altogether.

I'm hoping labour 2 will be quicker, but was worried than being induced early would slow things. Off to read that other thread now, thanks for digging it up!

Yikes. Sounds great :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Yikes. Sounds great :(

It sounds much worse than it was to be honest, I had a very early epidural due to my elevated BP so I wasn't in pain, it was just very drawn out and I was exhausted long before my little minx was born.

Advertisement