Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather sofa cracking

Options
  • 14-01-2015 9:44pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a leather (fake leather I am sure) sofa that is starting to crack in one of the more well-used spots. The area itself has become hard to touch - it feels like dried out or something.

It hasn't cracked the whole way through but rather to the white material under the "leather".

I sent the landlord a pic via a few months ago when it first started appearing and heard nothing back (not concerned about that).

The area in question is also starting to sag (as in when you sit on it you sink in a lot more than other areas of the sofa).

TBH I doubt it can be fixed.

Would it be cheeky to ask for a replacement when it starts to get unsightly? The apartment we live in is fairly modern and the landlord is actually a pretty big letting agency (i.e. the place isn't furnished with cast-off furniture from the landlords own house!).

Without wanting to sound like an idiot, I'm wondering really if something being unsightly / a bit tatty is a valid enough reason to approach the letting agency and how hard we can really push the matter.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Did you maintain the leather? Leather needs oiling or a leather cream every so often to prevent splitting and cracking.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

pwurple wrote: »
    Did you maintain the leather? Leather needs oiling or a leather cream every so often to prevent splitting and cracking.

It's not real leather. It's pleather.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

awec wrote: »
    It's not real leather. It's pleather.

Was in a very similar situation a few years ago. I was a little worried about my deposit taking a hit because the cheap "leather" had cracked all over even though it was just from standard use.

I said it to the estate agents when they were inspecting the place when I was moving out and they couldn't have cared less. They said they had loads stored and they'd have brought me up a new one had I just asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If it is sagging more than normal it is probably stretching the white underlay and leather veneer more then it can tolerate leading to the cracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Leather sofas are a bit of a disaster as they age unless very high quality.

Fabric can at least be washed / shampooed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement