Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling dogs on facebook?

• 14-01-2015 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 223 ✭✭

There is an ongoing debate on a Facebook page regarding the selling and giving away of dogs (and other animals). There are no admins on the page so it seems anything goes. I've done some research on dog breeding to educate myself a bit more about the laws and regulations on this. It seems there are some grey areas or maby I just need to do more research. I was just wondering if this is allowed and if so what documents need to be supplied from the breeder to the buyer. It seems the majority of the people on the page don't want dogs on it but as there's no admin there's nothing that can be done apart from reporting the page which I'm sure many have done. Dogs continue to be advertised daily and people objecting told to keep there comments to them selves or leave the page if they don't like it. I don't own a dog or have any interest in breeding dogs but seeing this on a daily basis makes me question the whole dog breeding business. I'm not saying all dog breeders are bad but surely more regulations need to be brought in to help stop the mistreatment of some of these animals. Also if all the correct procedures are followed by the breeder is there really much profit in it or do some breeders just breed for the love of their dogs.Thanks for reading Im sure this is an ongoing debate. If there are other forums regarding this matter please put a link up. Here is a link to the page in question if you fancy a read send a request to be added and I'm sure someone will add you.up_activity <snip>

OP, I have removed your link to the facebook page as linking from here to such pages is against the ethos of the "donedeal" section of the charter. I know this is not Donedeal, but the idea is the same.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Basically, there are no laws on selling or giving away dogs, except in certain physical places. There are unfortunately specific groups and pages on FB for buying and selling animals, so not against their rules either.

All breeders should only breed for the love of their dogs in my opinion, and as dogs usually have more than one pup in a litter, they sell the ones they can't keep, with a contract saying they will take the dog back at anytime if necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 223 ✭✭RiskItAllRick

Thanks for the reply I agree with you. I'm sure there are lots of people fighting for better animal welfare laws and as this is all new to me I'm surprised that animals can be sold so easily especially on facebook pages and other selling websites. What can I do to help get better welfare laws and regulations in this country? With so many people breeding to make a quick buck (not saying everyone is) it makes you wonder what happens the unsold animals and sold animals that buyers cant continue to care for. I know I'm late coming to the debate but I would like to help out where I can.

Advertisement