Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Closures Due to Status Red Weather Warning

• 14-01-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information on the school closure list for tomorrow due to the high winds that are forecast, in particular St Clements?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

It just says any schools in Red Status areas are allowed to close. Limerick is Red Status as is Clare.

Best to ring the school in the morning to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

We live in the county and he gets an early bus and is in town an hour before the school opens I don't want him to have to hang around in storm conditions if the school gates are locked.

I'll probably keep him at home just in case, We'll have a duvet day as the National School my other chap goes to is shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

St Nessans primary is definitely closed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Follow @limerickedcentr for updates on Twitter. The 95fm News account are trying their best to keep people posted too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Model is closed as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

From Damiels Butlers Facebook.

HOOL CLOSURE UPDATE: Schools confirmed closed: St Nessans Mungret, Crescent College Comprehensive, Patrickswell NS, Laurel Hill Secondary, The Model Palaskenry and Colaiste Chiaran Croom. No word of closure for: St Pauls NS, Gaelscoil Raithin or LETS Mungret. Stay posted for further updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Donoughmore National School and Presentation Secondary School are closed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From the Leader

The schools which have confirmed they will remain closed are: Colaiste Chiarain, Croom; Colaiste Mhuire, Askeaton; St Patrick’s Boys NS, Dublin Road; Scoil Dean Cussen, Bruff; Cappamore NS, Croagh NS, Colaiste Ide agus Iosef, Abbeyfeale; Mungret NS, An Mhodhscoil, SMI secondary School, Newwcastle West, Laurel Hill, Colaiste SCR, St Brigids, St Nessans, Salesians secondary, Salesians Pallaskenry, St Mary’s, St Patricks Girls NS, Monaleen NS, Kilfinane NS, Ardpatrick NS, Patrickswell NS, Glenbrohane NS, Foynes NS, St Nessans Mungret, Crescent College Comprehensive, and Killmallock NS.

I see some things never change. Clements would stay open if it was on fire! :pac:

-Bitter past pupil :P

Model is closed as well.

Thats the spirit! I see Principal O Murchu is still as cool as ever!

-Proud past pupil :D

Enjoy your day off tomorrow kids!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Thats the spirit! I see Principal O Murchu is still as cool as ever!

-Proud past pupil :D

Enjoy your day off tomorrow kids!

He sure is!
    I think my workplace is the equivalent of Clements, not a hope of it closing. Now what to with the kids...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

It will have to be made up at Easter folks so maybe you're as well off if your school is open tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

milford closed, castletroy college open, but review at 730am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Castleconnell NS is closed as is Cathrine Macauley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Lads what are the chances of the school being closed on Friday as well ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lads what are the chances of the school being closed on Friday as well ?

Unlikely. I think the storm is due to pass over in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Some schools are not making a final decision until 7am in the morning, some as late as 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

some as late as 8am.

Absolutely ridiculous. At least have the balls to call it tonight and make life easier for parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I see some things never change. Clements would stay open if it was on fire! :pac:

-Bitter past pupil :P

!

Right on - if there was 3 feet of snow, the school would be open. All the other schools have to make that day up now, looks like clements made the right call by staying open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Mc Love wrote: »
    ...All the other schools have to make that day up now...

I would wonder about that - the following is taken from a guidance document issued to school management:
    Following consultation at a national level with the Office of Emergency Planning and the management bodies for schools, the Department of Education and Skills’ advice to schools is that they should consider not opening where a Status Red weather warning related to wind is forecast to coincide with the period/s during which students and staff would be expected to be travelling to and from school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

This whole thing was a debacle to be honest.

Mass hysteria whipped up by Met Eireann and the media yesterday and the masses followed it like lemmings. Even in worse off places in the country it wasnt that bloody bad

As a buddy of mine said 'I've played golf in worse weather'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

mitresize5 wrote: »
    This whole thing was a debacle to be honest.

Mass hysteria whipped up by Met Eireann and the media yesterday and the masses followed it like lemmings. Even in worse off places in the country it wasnt that bloody bad

As a buddy of mine said 'I've played golf in worse weather'

Plenty of hysteria whipped up over on the weather forum to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe people weren't taking any chances after last year? I recall the mood last year was "ah shur it'll be grand" until it turned into something quite dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Better to have children at home looking at the clear skies than complaining that the schools didn't prepare if the weather had hit as it was forecast to. What is one day off in the big picture really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

That day will have to be worked back for schools that have closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do something, people complain.

Do nothing, people complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

seachto7 wrote: »
    Maybe people weren't taking any chances after last year? I recall the mood last year was "ah shur it'll be grand" until it turned into something quite dangerous.

Last year it wasn't forecast..!!! The 'Red Alert' back then was for Cork and Kerry, Limerick wasn't mentioned. So hurricane Darwin was supposed to fade out when it reached Abbeyfeale..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do something, people complain.

Do nothing, people complain.

Complete underestimate darwin. People complain

Completely overestimate rachel. People complain.

Get next one relatively accurate. People relatively happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Complete underestimate darwin. People complain

Completely overestimate rachel. People complain.

Get next one relatively accurate. People relatively happy.

I would imagine the science of predicting weather isn't an exact science when you get to the local level .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

jonski wrote: »
    I would imagine the science of predicting weather isn't an exact science when you get to the local level .

You mean the system is useless? Or they shouldn't forecast county by county if they don't have that granularity? Just say southwest mid West etc?

I thought the initial "exposed/coastal areas of the West and general north west red alert" was good. Inland from that as orange. Yup, that's within an acceptable error/safety margin for what we got.

Orange for Darwin until buildings were structurally damaged? Way off, irresponsible.
    Red in effect for rachel when the peak had passed for limerick? Way off, inconsistent, damaging to the credibility of any emergency warning system.

Advertisement