Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating kitchen/living area

Options
  • 14-01-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

I am looking to do a kitchen renovation in our existing kitchen / living room. The living area of the room is in what looks like a single story extension off the back of the main building, but is actually part of the original specification of all houses built in my estate. For the purposes of this I will refer to this as the extension. The kitchen area of the room resides within the main structure on the bottom floor.

The extension is not a perfect rectangle, as there is a smaller rectangle cut out from one corner and a WC in the opposite corner. The best illustration I can give is that the extension is a little wider and longer than a Z shape Tetris Block with the WC filling in the corners adjoining to the main house structure and kitchen. To give the dimensions I am going to split it into two areas, before and after the corner gap. The size of the before part (including the WC space as part of the same floor plate) is 2.2m long X 5.7m wide, the next part with the corner gap applying is 3.5m long X 4.5m wide. Of course, there is an existing wall within the structure separating the WC from the living room and the WC measures approx. 3m long X 1m wide.

There is a flat roof on the extension structure and we have a gas boiler at the back of it, alongside French doors to the back garden. There is also a sliding door out where the room is widest, opposite to the WC and prior to the corner gap.

We are looking to renovate the two rooms into one larger kitchen. The room faces south west but is dark because of just one small sky light in the flat roof.
    • We want to pitch the roof and put in velux windows, we won’t be raising the apex by more than 1m because to do so would block the upstairs windows.
    • We would like either a conservatory style end / glass gable with large glass doors to garden.
    • We would like to knock the inner wall to WC and reconfigure it to the inner most part of the kitchen which is where the existing sink and washers are.
    • We would like to widen the existing passageway between the kitchen and living room which is about c. 3m wide through the main wall of the house, this may require steel reinforcement.
    • We would consider building out to fill in the space currently filled by the corner gap, making the dimensions a more perfect rectangle.
    • We may also replace the current doors and windows.
    • We want to put in a good quality tiled kitchen but using extra space currently used by the carpeted living room.
    • The place will need to be rewired and I’d like to resite the boiler.

I don’t believe that we require planning for the reorganisation of an existing structure, but am unsure about the raising of the roof. Are there particular plumbing issues that we should consider in moving the boiler/WC? What would be a reasonable estimate for the reorganisation work and roof lift? Is €10k realistic for a good quality kitchen installation?

We think we should get an architect because we are open on the design aspects to it, particularly internally. Our absolute requirements are the pitched roof, much more light coming in, an open space at the gable end for an 6 – 8 seater dining table (which I guess requires the moving of the WC) and a good quality kitchen spec. What would be the cost for the initial concept and design work and what sort of role would/could they play from that point on?

Our bank may fund this but I need to go to them with a more thought through design and a quote. So again I am minded to get an architect to start design so I can pass to a builder for quotes.

I’ve attached a picture of the back part of the room which I hope assists in picturing the space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Hi Jivin,

An architect would definitely be a requirement which will aide your design process and help you out greatly. A Structural Engineer would also be required to call up any Steel specifications for new Beams & Lintels.

If your changing the roof Structure, to a Pitched roof unfortunately you will 100% require planning permission. If you were going for Planning permission anyway, you could extend the house out further while you were at it, depending on your budget of course.

Just to give you an idea a General Rough cost for Refurbishment is €700 to €1000 per square meter for the Dublin area.
    Your Extension is roughly 32m2 if my calculations are right
    (costs could be €22,400 up to €32,000 if not more with the roof works)

Bracken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Thanks for that. I had around €30,000 in my mind. Would this standard estimate include advisory fees like architect/engineers?

I guess my first step is a discussion with an architect. What would be a reasonable estimate for an initial consultation some design work and a few drawings? What is the going hourly rate (based in Fingal, Dublin if that makes a difference)?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Normally around 10% of the building costs is set aside for professional fees (Arch/Engineer)
    So €3000 is possibly needed

You might have to look at Insulation requirements/additions also with the build so €30,000 would be a conservative estimate

Hourly rates would depend on the Architect/Arch Technician/Surveyor/Engineer really as it would differ greatly throughout Dublin alone

Advertisement