Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN with UPC.

Options
  • 15-01-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Anyone here use a VPN with UPC?

I'm thinking about starting to use a VPN with UPC and was wondering if anyone here is using one and how it's working out for them and if they have any recommendations.

It states in the UPC terms of service that you're not allowed to use one with their broadband. Do they actually enforce this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Conor_B wrote: »
    Anyone here use a VPN with UPC?

I'm thinking about starting to use a VPN with UPC and was wondering if anyone here is using one and how it's working out for them and if they have any recommendations.

It states in the UPC terms of service that you're not allowed to use one with their broadband. Do they actually enforce this?

Cheers!

Works fine with UPC. A lot of home workers would be lost without VPN's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm on UPC and able to VPN into my works network. I don't think the issue would be with you doing it as a user, but with you managing a VPN service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tauruz_ie

Been using Private Internet Access VPN on UPC for over a year now, works like a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep...I use a work VPN on UPC a lot also with no issues.

I'd say it is just a standard clause too give them a way to drop customers who are up to not so legal things and attempting to disguise themselves with a VPN...i.e. don't give them a reason to take a serious look at your traffic and they wont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Anyone using ubuntu 14.04 and vpn with upc? I can't get mine to connect, but works from another windows laptop.

I'm just using it for work so nothing illegal or dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Like others here, I also have UPC and use PPTP, OpenVPN and IPSec VPNs with no problems. That's with an older cable modem and my own router.

I had read, shortly after the introduction of UPC's Horizon offering, about problems with Horizon and VPNs (the problem related specifically to UDP). Support calls to UPC were met with the "we don't support VPNs" line. I have declined their Horizon service as a result on a number of occasions.

Does anyone know if this is still a problem? Anyone successfully operating VPNs on UPC's Horizon? If so, what VPNs?

Thanks

Liam

Advertisement