Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2014 - Results

Options
  • 15-01-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, thanks for voting in the Awards. Here are the winners, as chosen by you.

Best Xbox 360 Game (Retail)
    South Park: Stick Of Truth

Best Xbox 360 Game (Download Only)
    The Wolf Among Us

Best Xbox One Game (Retail)
    Sunset Overdrive

Best Xbox One Game (Download Only)
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Best PS4 Game (Retail)
    The Last of Us

Best PS4 Game (Download Only)
    Transistor

Best PS3 Game (Retail)
    South Park: Stick of Truth

Best PS3 Game (Download Only)
    The Last of Us - Left Behind

Best 3DS Game (Retail)
    Smash Bros

Best 3DS Game (Download Only)
    Shovel Knight

Best PC Game (Retail)
    Wolfenstein: The New Order

Best PC Game (Download Only)
    Shovel Knight

Best iOS Game
    Monument Valley

Best Android/Ouya Game
    Threes

Best Vita Game (Retail)
    Danganronpa (Tie)
    Ys: Memories of Celceta (Tie)

Best Vita Game (Download Only)
    Velocity 2X

Best Wii U Game (Retail)
    Mario Kart 8

Best Wii U Game (Download Only)
    Shovel Knight

Best Boss Fight
    South Park: The Stick of Truth - Princess Kenny

Hottest Male
    Edgeworth - Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies

Best Game Design
    Bayonetta 2

Best Story
    Last of Us: Left Behind

Biggest Surprise
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Best Music
    GTA V

Best Character
    Eric Cartman - South Park: The Stick of Truth

Best Sound
    Alien Isolation

Best Graphics
    Mario Kart 8

Hottest Female
    Bayonetta - Bayonetta 2

Biggest Disappointment
    Watch Dogs

WTF Were They Thinking
    Ubisoft in General

Best Game of the Generation: Wii
    Super Mario Galaxy

Best Game of the Generation: PS3
    The Last of Us

Best Game of the Generation: Xbox 360
    Red Dead Redemption

Overall: Best Sports
    Fifa 15

Overall: Best Downloadable (non-Retail) Game
    Transistor

Overall: Best RPG
    South Park: Stick of Truth

Overall: Best Action/Adventure
    Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Overall: Online Game of the Year
    GTA Online

Overall: Best DLC/Add-On Content
    Last of Us : Left Behind

Overall: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Transistor

Overall: Best Racing
    Mario Kart 8

Overall: Game of the Year 2014
    3rd: Mario Kart 8
    2nd: South Park: The Stick of Truth
    1st: Shadow of Mordor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5 Awards: South Park The Stick of Truth
    3 Awards: Mario Kart 8
    3 Awards: Transistor
    3 Awards: Shovel Knight
    3 Awards: Shadow of Mordor
    3 Awards: The Last of Us Left Behind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dammit I forgot to vote in this.

People seemed to like Shadow of Mordor way more than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Transistor won far too many awards, blast all of you who didn't vote Child of Light or Banner Saga

Shadow of Mordor a deserved winner, I think if Bayonetta 2 was multi-platform it would have won though

A below average year overall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Glad to see South Park did well. It was probably my favourite game last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having just started Shadow of Mordor today, it seems nowhere near game of the year quality, but we'll see how that develops ;)

Overall a varied bunch of results, with plenty of good games recognised (and some not so good ones ;)). Transistor was certainly a little gem, Last of Us: Left Behind I think I preferred to the core game, and Bayonetta 2, while inevitably absent in several categories it should have dominated had anyone played it, deserves the hell out of 'best game design'. Would have liked to see Titanfall get something though, certainly the 'online game of the year'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Glad to see sunset over drive in there. While it certainly wasn't anything dynamically new it was far more finished and polished than many other AAA we saw last year. It never felt old or boring even when getting all the collectibles, and as I mentioned before the delivery from the female lead voice voice actor was genuinely very good and funny.

Delighted not to see Destiny anywhere :)

GTA V getting best music should have won the what were they thinking award :pac:

Shadow of Mordor I enjoyed the more I played it but I still couldn't shake the feeling of having played before in terms of gamplay , still the Orcs were very good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I know that some people thought that Destiny was a disappointment but for it not to win best music and best online game is a terrible shame. The music in Destiny in amazing. There has been no other game this year for me that comes close. I'v played through the winner, GTA V and I can think of a single song or piece of score that sticks out.

Also how did GTA Online win best online game over Destiny? My experience of GTA Online was that it was fairly broken. Plus they never did bring heists to the game, or did they with the PS4/XBox1 release? Destiny is such a social game, hell there is no truly single player campaign in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

South Park winning so much seems a bit wrong to me, especially when it's up against much stronger games like Dark souls 2. It's not a great RPG and the humour rarely rises above 'hey remember this from that episode hur hur!'.

Lesson: More of you need to play Dark Souls 2

Velocity 2X getting a nod. I know people love it. I tried to like it but it's just so dull and the art is awful. Guess I'll never understand that game.

Lesson: more people should play TxK. Thought that would be a shoe in there.

GTA gets a nod for best music for a soundtrack that is just a mix tape, a really crappy mix tape at that. Shame on you all for this one when there were much better soundtracks composed by people with talent rather than picked by talking to music publishers and taking what's offered.

Lesson: More people need to listen to the SMT 4 and (especially) the transistor soundtracks.

WTF goes to Ubisoft who made some good games and a few dodgy ones but not to Gamergate that managed to set back people's preceptions of gamers 2 decades.

Lesson: None here. The best thing to do about Gamergate is pretend it never happened. Well done everyone.

Overall best game of the year goes to Batman Combat the game...I mean Shadow of Mordor. In a year when Bayonetta 2 happened I really don't think so. I suppose out of all the big games it's not the worst (but it's also not the far, far better Wolfenstein). It's not like many people played Bayonetta 2... Even WiiU owners going by the sales.

Also game of the generation not going to Dark Souls is just plain wrong :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also how did GTA Online win best online game over Destiny? My experience of GTA Online was that it was fairly broken. Plus they never did bring heists to the game, or did they with the PS4/XBox1 release? Destiny is such a social game, hell there is no truly single player campaign in there.

It was broken, didn't work but importantly it was actually fun which is what matters.

Also it wasn't half as fun as Titanfall which is the most fun I've had with an online game in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Destiny didn't win best online game because it's a piece of **** :pac:

Seriously though, while I very much disliked the game, even the music was IMO a touch uninspired. It actually felt ill at ease with the action and gameplay - even at its best it was trying to conjure up a mood that the game did not deliver on. More dynamic and experimental soundtracks like Transistor, Hohokum or The Sailor's Dream were IMO operating on a whole other level, not to mention the sheer joy of Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros offerings (Smash Bros I've spent the bulk of some sessions just giddily flicking through the sound test section).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I think Destiny didn't win best online game because it's a piece of **** :pac:

Seriously though, while I very much disliked the game, even the music was IMO a touch uninspired.

I reckon Destiny is doing relatively well because of the 'new' factor. An MMO on consoles, a FPS-MMO on consoles. For PC gamers this is a dying genre and there have been so many. But console gamers are trying something relatively new with Destiny. Much the same with Halo. When Halo came to Xbox, console gamers went mental about it. For PC gamers though it was more of..."So? We have had sci-fi FPS games on PCs for years and decent multiplayer too, what's the big deal?"

I would have liked to see Titanfall get some awards though. Really enjoyed that game and jump back in every now and then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Falthyron wrote: »
    I would have liked to see Titanfall get some awards though. Really enjoyed that game and jump back in every now and then. :)

Agree with this... really surprised it didnt get something... its always my "fallback" game when I get tired of endlessly repetitive patrols / missions / dailys / raids on Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Retr0gamer wrote: »

GTA gets a nod for best music for a soundtrack that is just a mix tape, a really crappy mix tape at that. Shame on you all for this one when there were much better soundtracks composed by people with talent rather than picked by talking to music publishers and taking what's offered.

Lesson: More people need to listen to the SMT 4 and (especially) the transistor soundtracks.

:P

Erm, Id imagine that the artists who originally composed and recorded all those songs might claim to have talent. The soundtrack fits the game perfectly, and the in house composed music that plays during heists etc has a very cinematic feel to it. go back and play the into mission for example with the botched bank robbery again and listen, it builds the tension nicely and would fit in perfectly in a similar genre movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not the best year in gaming for me. I played a few hours of Mordor but it just never held my interest. Dark Souls 2 wasn't as good as the 1st but still expected to see it win something.

South Park was brilliant but I never expected it to win so much. Glad GTA Online won Best Online. Huge difference though between playing solo or with randomers than playing with Boards crew members, always a great craic chatting with the lads doing random shyte.

Great buzz anyway Mr. E. A couple of the games on those lists I have yet to play so will have to add them to my list.

Erm, Id imagine that the artists who originally composed and recorded all those songs might claim to have talent. The soundtrack fits the game perfectly, and the in house composed music that plays during heists etc has a very cinematic feel to it. go back and play the into mission for example with the botched bank robbery again and listen, it builds the tension nicely and would fit in perfectly in a similar genre movie.

A lot of them I wouldn't call talented...

Also just listen to the Transistor soundtrack! It invalidates any debate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually agree with a lot of Retro's points here.

It's all opinion of course, not fact but I'm surprised that the likes of Dark Souls 2 was not in there (even though it's a little disappointing in comparison to the original) and Transistor for music. That game is so good.

So far I've played about 4 hours worth of Mordor and it's a fun game alright but I don't think I'd have it in my GOTY. I don't have a WiiU so I can't comment on those games but I really would have loved to see Alien Isolation get in the top 3 anyway.

The one thing I would disagree with Retro is the WTF award. While you are correct you also have to realise that people are spending there money on these products and when things aren't working for you, that is going to feel a lot more personal as opposed to gamergate which I'm sure some people here still don't even understand fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Regards the music in GTA I had the radio locked on the pop station, it's bad when I'd rather listen to Rihanna and Pet Shop Boys than stuff on the other channels :D

That said there was much better stuff added to the next gen versions I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I notice that a lot of people who don't agree with Mordor getting GOTY have only played a few hours. Have you gotten onto the second section and unlocked the powers to control captains? If not, then you may want to give it another chance if you have the time. The game really opens up and comes into it's own, and is a lot of hilarious fun.

But it's the fact that it hides away the really fun power until the later game that would not make it my game of the year. I did really enjoy it and will most likely replay it a good few times in the future, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm yet to unlock that skill. I'm having a lot of fun with the game but as I said for me Alien Isolation was the standout game for me this year.

Alien Isolation was the only triple A game that stepped out of the usually triple A comfort zone and should be commended for it. The supposedly earth shattering and genre defining Destiny was just a mix of Phantasy Star Online or Borderlands with added dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

humanji wrote: »
    I notice that a lot of people who don't agree with Mordor getting GOTY have only played a few hours. Have you gotten onto the second section and unlocked the powers to control captains? If not, then you may want to give it another chance if you have the time. The game really opens up and comes into it's own, and is a lot of hilarious fun.

But it's the fact that it hides away the really fun power until the later game that would not make it my game of the year. I did really enjoy it and will most likely replay it a good few times in the future, though.

Agreed. Shadow of Mordor was a weird game for me in that the first couple of hours revolved around me getting bitch slapped around by the orcs. Once you start to level up and get better abilities tho the entire game changes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No sign of Divinity either, which is a shame, such a good RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Glad to see Transistor get a few nods, loved that game.
    I'm surprised Bayonetta 2 didn't feature in the top 3 games of the year, it was my game of the year. Wii U exclusivity hurt it i guess.
    Best Music GTA V?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ah nothing for Titanfall...:(

Best online game I have played in years. Nobody look at my gamertag please, as its embarrassing the amount of hours I have sunk into it.

I don't begrudge Middle Earth: SoM, I really enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed it more before branding was introduced, as by then I was slightly overpowered, but when I got branding the game wasn't a challenge any more. Still a great game though and a worthy winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ah nothing for Titanfall...:(

Best online game I have played in years. Nobody look at my gamertag please, as its embarrassing the amount of hours I have sunk into it.

I don't begrudge Middle Earth: SoM, I really enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed it more before branding was introduced, as by then I was slightly overpowered, but when I got branding the game wasn't a challenge any more. Still a great game though and a worthy winner.

I think titanfall suffered from people thinking it actually came out last year, and while its really really good, it didnt have the legs to go a year like COD does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm yet to unlock that skill. I'm having a lot of fun with the game but as I said for me Alien Isolation was the standout game for me this year.

Agreed. I loved this game and it's a shame to see it only get the sound design award.

Biggest problem with Isolation was those darn Working Joes. Less of a focus on them would have made for a leaner, braver and scarier game. Thankfully its many peaks mean its still a fantastic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I love emphatic disagreements with the awards, always a bit funny to see, but then I didn't really have a big "wish" for any specific game, kind of relaxed about it all.

Good stuff too, I like getting a sense for what people are enjoying.

Advertisement