Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what happens now?

• 15-01-2015 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi my partner has been offered a job it's minimum wage full time 9-5 but we are currently on jsa he claims for me and my daughter so what happens after he starts working are we completely cut off from jsa and rent allowance or will we still be able to keep some it's all very confusing so any advice thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Don't think you can get rent allowance if one of you is working more than 30 hours a week, but you can apply for FIS?

Can you apply for JSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You'll lose the RA, but as Stheno says you can apply for JSA and probably FIS. You'll need to tell Welfare about the change in circs anyway. They'll ask you to send your partner's wage slips in order to means test you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

can I actually apply for myself? and I didn't know that we could apply for fis as someone said it only applied to one parent families only? but we won't get one until he starts Monday but we will go in tomorrow. perfect thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can apply for JSA yourself if you are in a position to be jobseeking and apply for FIS at the same time when he is working

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tonto67

This is a textbook poverty trap. Unfortunately your partner loses all entitlements although he can apply for FIS. You can apply for JB if you worked enough weeks in 2013 or JA if you didn't. JA is means tested though so your rate will be reduced significantly. On minimum wage he will get ~€95 pw from FIS with one child, His after tax income will be ~€330 pw you might get €100 JA if your lucky but you need to be looking for work and they are chasing people these days.

I don't know what your both getting now in cash, RA, medical card etc. but if I were you I would be working out how much extra i will end up with at the end of each week remembering it costs money to go to work and see if it is worthwhile losing the other benefits. If he is skilled then waiting for a better opportunity is always an option.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭wellieboot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

thank you all for the advice, I am jobseeking have been to many interviews but they told me I need to talk more my shyness is withholding me from getting any work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

thank you all for the advice, I am jobseeking have been to many interviews but they told me I need to talk more my shyness is withholding me from getting any work

Hope you get something soon

Advertisement