Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4-PIN PWM Support, eh, what ?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Ok, I think I might be going crazy, but I am not sure.

I have bought a number of fans as I got a MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard and noticed that it has a number of system fan connectors that are 3 pin. I got a Corsair Sp 120 Quiet edition pair of fans with "pwm 4 pin support" , but lo and behold, when I opened them up they are 3 pin connectors.

What does 4 pin support do for me when I only have 3 pins. I have got 2 sets of fans now and they are all 3 pin. I have other woes with the MSI I will detail elsewhere, but anyone who has gone through this hell, please weigh in , there are lots of confusing and mis leading posts out there, but i would like to hear from someone who has experience of this.

Rob
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think you meant to say your motherboard has 4 pin system fan connectors (Ill call em sockets)

I reckon the fans are just '4 pin pwm compatible', in that a 3 pin fan can plug into both a 3 and 4 pin socket. Just without the 4th cable, there is no actual PWM control... any link to the fans? Doesnt sound right, or worth specifying, as ALL 3 pins work in 4 pin sockets (afaik)

The difference between 3 pin (+voltage, ground, rpm) and 4 pin, is the addition of that PWM signal cable - so without it, I dont know how they can claim to be pwm supported

Advertisement