Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for car - max E2500 and under 1.5l

• 14-01-2015 10:10pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm in the same boat and don't want to make a second one just to ask the same thing.

I've been searching for the past week, looking far and wide and willing to travel as there's nothing in the dealerships around Galway for max E2500 and under 1.5l

Some options have been:

04 Astra with 55k miles (E2700)
    02-03 Golfs - generally all have 100k+
    04-05 Almeras - 05 in Dub with 99k miles going for E1800
    04 Xsara with around 80k miles
    04-05 Meganes with less than 100k

The Golfs, Almeras and Meganes are all general years/prices and I've generally being disregarding cars with over 110k miles, and in some cases less than 100k
    The Astra and Xsara are two specific ones I've came across.
    I missed out on two Corollas which fit the bill(100k or under miles, 03 model and up) and this would be the preferred option but on the budget they're hard to come by.

Any opinions on which of these is probably the best bet for E2500ish.
    What sort of mileage is the upper band for each I should consider.

So far I've been edging towards the Astra if I can get him down to E2400 from E2700, the NCT is up in March so thats worth something off IMO.
    The Almera, or any around 05 and under 100k would be nice but they're harder for me to get(Dublin) while the Astra is in Athlone and the GF lives there.

All those cars above are dealer sales, couldnt be bothered with a private sale as Im not paying a mechanic and not risking it alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to own thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Almera's of that vintage are ****e. Avoid. 1.4 Golf isn't good either. Megane will likely break your heart(and your wallet).

Corolla would be the best bet.

Disregarding cars over 110k miles is pure folly. At your budget a geniune, low mileage car will be hard to come by. Condition and service history is far more important at cars that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These are 10 to 11 year old cars, having 100+k miles on them is normal for cars of that age. Judge a car of that age on present condition and service history where possible, mileage is not an automatic indication of how good a car is. I've seen cars with feck all mileage on them that were nearly fit for the scrap yard.

You should add the Ford Focus also, it's better than alot of the cars on that list and you should be able to get a decent one on your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

I would certainly not dismiss almera.A serviced 05 one for under 2 k and about 11000 miles a year is an excellent buy.I think they are often criticised for being dull etc but they are well able to put miles up with no issues.Streets ahead of xsara and megane and I would be keen on it -the astra looks good value but i would be doubtful about that mileage without first ringing servicing garage,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would certainly not dismiss almera.A serviced 05 one for under 2 k and about 11000 miles a year is an excellent buy.I think they are often criticised for being dull etc but they are well able to put miles up with no issues.Streets ahead of xsara and megane and I would be keen on it -the astra looks good value but i would be doubtful about that mileage without first ringing servicing garage,

i think the 02 onwards almera was quite poorly built compared to its predecessor.

a corolla really does sound like the answer to the OP's question here.

i wouldn't touch a golf, megane or xsara if i wanted a car that was going to wear well or that could be ran on a tight budget.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the lack of reply.

I thought my post was just flat deleted from the OP's thread to which I added it.

Only happened across it while looking for an old thread to bump.

I was biding my time due to being maybe a few 100 below what looked like decent buys and primarily wanting a Corolla and struggling to find one for the value.

I came across one yesterday in a used car garage not far outside town and contacted them/went to see it today.

It's a 2002, newer(older) model which was a deal breaker as the previous model is a bit dated and has 127k miles.... going for E1750 which is well down on others of the year/model.
    Will be put through the NCT as well before I buy it.

The GF has a 2005 and there's obviously a marked difference in the interior between the two in terms of quality/wear and tear but it drives fine and it's about 1/3 of the price she paid for hers.
    Just needs a few hudcaps(missing some)/alloys and it'll suit me down to the ground.

Appreciate the replies though and food for thought if this deal somehow falls through.

Advertisement