Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st cut of the year !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Fired up my new mower yesterday. First cut of the year. Oh the joy of of self propelled mowing. Grass had got very long, wouldn't have liked to tried cut it with my old machine (rip). At a guess 25+ years old sterling service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

do you do anything different with the clippings for first cut ?

Just fecked em in to the compost heap. Didn't use the mulching thingy yet. I'm no expert on lawn care btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

When did you last cut it?

Late Oct

Actually didn't go too bad. I mulched it at the highest level and went around again at a level lower. Looking much tidier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Cut mine yesterday
    Didnt take much off it but it looks nice and green after the winter .
    I gave it a spray of Iron sulphate in January and that seems to have kept the moss at bay .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to give mobacter a try this year as a way of knocking the edge off the moss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got my first cut done Friday. Delighted to see the lines from the mower on the grass again. Now, how soon to aerate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My last cut was 20th dec, thats the latest ive done a last cut, heavy rain last week will try to leave til April for first cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

beertons wrote: »
    Got my first cut done Friday. Delighted to see the lines from the mower on the grass again. Now, how soon to aerate?

Judging by my golf club, they were aerating the fairways 2 weeks ago! I guess now is a good time??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1st cut today after a few days of dry weather.

Using mulcher, cut at highest level, then went back around on a notch down.

Garden looks so much better with the lines and same height all round, it looked like a field before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just got mine done, and a good bit of tidying up, yesterday. Looks like a sheep was at it, but I will give it a couple of days for the grass to recover from all the trampling on it then cut it again a bit lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Think I will give mine a feed too in the coming weeks.

I have a bag of chicken ****. Any idea when I should throw this on the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

looksee wrote: »
    Just got mine done, and a good bit of tidying up, yesterday. Looks like a sheep was at it, but I will give it a couple of days for the grass to recover from all the trampling on it then cut it again a bit lower.

:D Person/people who actually did the cutting and tidying were inclined to mutter a bit about my sheep description. I am unrepentant, but the work was very much appreciated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

i'm going to give mobacter a try this year as a way of knocking the edge off the moss.

Same here for the mobacter, but I believe it needs to be a good bit warmer first.

Will do first cut this weekend, and a second soon after to keep it lower than last year.

This mobacter sorcery yis are mentioning. Is it the dogs bollix for sortin out the dreaded moss?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

couldn't tell you. haven't applied it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I've just put down sulphate of iron but will be keeping an eye on this thread regarding mobacter. Keep us posted Magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Any suggestions for elimination of daisies in lawn...........looks like they will be this season's scourge.

Any suggestions for elimination of daisies in lawn...........looks like they will be this season's scourge.

if your putting a 5in1 or 4in1 weed and feed on it that will take care of them. I find mortox50 deals with a lot of these weeds too

• Advertisement

squadro wrote: »
    This mobacter sorcery yis are mentioning. Is it the dogs bollix for sortin out the dreaded moss?.
    Worth mentioning that mobacter isn't a general weedkiller, it's a general feed and moss treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Did mine on Saturday. 1st time it didn't look half burnt to shíte and actually looks quite swell.

I dug it up and relayed grass about 6 years ago and didn't do a great job so its a bit knobbly. The last cut was early November during a nice weekend so it hadn't grown as long as previous years.

I tidied up the hedging and weeded the flowerbed too but got bit by ****ing horseflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Woo-hoo!!! Did my first cut today, the latest ever. Can't tell you how pleased I am. Such a feeling of accomplishment. Esp. with rain due.

I can keep on top of it now. Dug out a dozen dandelion and one marestail. I've learned to accept the clover and moss.

I'm delighted. Bring on the summer....

Worth mentioning that mobacter isn't a general weedkiller, it's a general feed and moss treatment.
    i finally remembered i had this stuff buried behind other stuff in the shed and tried it a couple of weeks ago. does seem to have made a difference, i'm getting good grass growth and the moss seems far less prevalent.

Advertisement