Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amtrak pricing

Options
  • 15-01-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Are the prices on Amtrak services a set price like say Bus Eireann, or do they vary in price like a flight?

With the euro so low at the minute I would be better off booking later if the price is always stays same!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Ticket prices do vary, but not as quickly as airline ticket prices would. As it says below, prices will rise as the seats are filled, so you don't want to wait too long.

From an article -

Amtrak's prices have climbed steadily in recent years, with the average ticket now costing $62, up 11 percent from five years ago. The company says the plan is to raise fares about once a year, but having "a couple changes in a year isn't unusual," Hardison says. Amtrak also uses so-called dynamic pricing to fill trains at the highest possible ticket price. (Tickets usually start low, then go up as a train starts to book up.) But unlike the airlines, Amtrak doesn't offer last-minute deals to fill seats. Critics say it's often cheaper and faster to take a bus. The Bolt Bus, which offers Wi-Fi and runs daily from New York to Boston, for instance, takes four and a quarter hours and costs up to $30. An Amtrak train on the same route can run as high as $164 and take up to five hours, 10 minutes. Hardison says Amtrak is "watching closely," but that buses are going after a different customer segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I have found Amtrak fares can often be cheaper closer to the date you want to travel, depending if your willing to compromise on departure times.
    Amtrak has become increasingly popular since 9/11 and other airport related incidents.
    I found Amtrak to be very enjoyable and an interesting journey without the hassle you have to endure at US Airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I found Amtrak to be very enjoyable and an interesting journey without the hassle you have to endure at US Airports.

Love Amtrak.

We go back and forth between Seattle and Minneapolis because my wife is a nervous flyer. 2 nights and about 36 hours through the remote High Plains and over the Rockies.

If you've never done a multi night train trip its really fun. Falling asleep in bed (a cabin is essential) on a train is something to experience. And they're really clean and well run.

Its not equivalent to flying in any way, its a unique trip in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

The prices vary, but not by a whole lot.

The price you see right now will probably be close enough to what you will pay

Some days of the week (eg Monday/Friday) are more expensive than others and some times of day (morning/evening) are more expensive than others.

You can get great deals if you plan it right

(On the other hand, I travelled from London to Nottingham on the train last year. Buying ahead online cost me £15......if I had walked up and bought the same ticket, it would be closer to £100)

Advertisement