Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any excuse to get into a pair of Budgie Smugglers

Options
  • 15-01-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    2015 is my year of starting Triathlon. I've signed up for Ironman 70.3 Dublin.
    Experience so far: Ran Dublin Marathon in 2012 in a time of 4:16. I wanted to improve so got into a more advanced training plan for 2013 & ran a Half Marathon in 1:38 and just before the Target Marathon I hit injury big time!
    So 2014 was all about recovery for me & strengthening my Legs & Core.

I've been back running since November & the longest run I've done is 7 Miles. I think I'll have to convert my thinking to KM's for this log? ;)

I've invested in a new bike - first road bike for me - I had a hybrid before & used it for commuting & short leisurely spins so nothing serious or over 30 Miles to date.

I spent a lot of time in 2014 learning to swim. I can't even say I learned as a child.. I did lessons like everyone but never managed a length without feeling like I was going to die. So I've done 3 terms in NAC as Improver - Intermediate - Advanced. The end result is I can swim up & down & form is okay but still not great. Still struggling with Breathing over 50m distances without a break.

Last week I joined a local Tri Club & started the swim sessions twice a week, with coaching. So far it's great & feels like the push I need. I'm the weakest in the group but I'm thinking I have a few months to work on that. I also got the Swimsmooth book from Santa & it's a great help.

I'm doing this because I never believed I could. Also upon witnessing the Ironman Lanzarote on HOlidays in 2012 I was truly inspired. I would like to do a full IM in the coming years depending on how this year goes of course.

I have access to NAC at lunchtime each day so I use the Gym & Pool.

I'm currently getting out about twice a week for short runs & haven't yet taken the bike on a decent spin... I'm blaming the winter.

So I'll start to keep record & monitor progress here. It helped big time for Marathon training.

So as ever I'm wide open to & would be appreciate any Feedback & tips along the way from you guys who've been there & done it... or those just learning like myself.

First Question - Should I get budgie Smugglers for the pool? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the log Ste, nice to see you the otherside of the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Best of luck with the goals this year.

Any self respecting triathlete would only wear jammers in the pool. Budgie smugglers are for the aul lads who hang around the sauna! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

AKW wrote: »

Any self respecting triathlete would only wear jammers in the pool. Budgie smugglers are for the aul lads who hang around the sauna! ;)

I'm not an oul lad but I do like the Sauna ;)

Enlighten me, what are jammers? In my house this means Tampons lmao

... Okay a quick google & I'm enlightened... I'll get some ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good luck dude. I'll be keeping watch ..... just to see how many of the others come over here on the sly ;)

( cough cough *Tang* :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Steroo wrote: »
    I'm not an oul lad but I do like the Sauna ;)

Enlighten me, what are jammers? In my house this means Tampons lmao

lol, you can use one of them too but it wont help performance!

think the type of trunks daniel craig wore in his first bond movie.
    daniel-craig-speedo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »

Lets play spot the lad with the tiny weener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Jammers go to the knee. #justsaying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yeah that 007 attire is Aquashorts, which are fine if you have the build, if not then definitely jammers.

Budgie smugglers definitely for the auld lads! :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Yeah that 007 attire is Aquashorts, which are fine if you have the build, if not then definitely jammers.

Budgie smugglers definitely for the auld lads! :)

Ok Ok spot the newbie... I'll order a pair online this evening! I can feel the drag from my shorts when I kick off the wall so at least that'll be sorted.

Ok Ok spot the newbie... I'll order a pair online this evening! I can feel the drag from my shorts when I kick off the wall so at least that'll be sorted.

Being honest being a total newbie you are probably lacking in kit and overwhelmed in what you need for swimming.

You need a buoy buoy
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65&product_id=391

A kick board
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65&product_id=392

And a good hat
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65&product_id=292
    (why the hat - cold irish water means you double up on hats and the ones they give you in races are usually crappy plastic ones - a good silicone under one of them makes a world of difference)

Some fins as well

Really this is probably what you want
    http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65&product_id=390

and add in the hat.

Being honest it sounds like you have your work cut out for you in the swim as if you struggle to swim more than 50m then you are not yet able to swim. Swim regularly, look for advice, listen to it. Its an uphill battle but achievable.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Being honest being a total newbie you are probably lacking in kit and overwhelmed in what you need for swimming.

You need a buoy buoy

A kick board

And a good hat
    (why the hat - cold irish water means you double up on hats and the ones they give you in races are usually crappy plastic ones - a good silicone under one of them makes a world of difference)

Some fins as well

and add in the hat.

Being honest it sounds like you have your work cut out for you in the swim as if you struggle to swim more than 50m then you are not yet able to swim. Swim regularly, look for advice, listen to it. Its an uphill battle but achievable.

Oh and the jammers

http://gottarun.ie/index.php?rt=product/product&path=65_94&product_id=544

You need a buoy buoy

A kick board

And a good hat

Some fins as well

and add in the hat.

Thanks for all that. Much appreciated. I had a buoy & new hat in mind alright.
    I just need a little break after 50m... this morning I did a warm up 150m. then 8 x 50m. then some kick drills. Then some sprinting.
    But I hear ya.... I'm under no illusion that I've plenty of work to do.
    I was thinking of swimming 5 days next week... incorporating drills etc. I have the time so will hopefully make it happen.

Thanks for all that. Much appreciated. I had a buoy & new hat in mind alright.
    I just need a little break after 50m... this morning I did a warm up 150m.

The need for a little break means, at the very least, your balance and breathing are very bad.
    then 8 x 50m. then some kick drills. Then some sprinting.

Why the sprints? Being blunt these would be worse than staying in bed. You need to learn to swim first. Technique, not speed and strength, are your issue.
    But I hear ya.... I'm under no illusion that I've plenty of work to do.
    I was thinking of swimming 5 days next week... incorporating drills etc. I have the time so will hopefully make it happen.

5 days a week isn't a bad idea. thats what I did in 2004 when I started to learn to swim.

I think its best to work off the belief that you cannot swim and that is what you are trying to learn to do - not get better at swimming, you are learning to swim. A suitable change in mindset but one that would stop you doing silly things like sprints when you cannot swim 100m comfortably.

Why the sprints? Being blunt these would be worse than staying in bed. You need to learn to swim first. Technique, not speed and strength, are your issue.

It was just part of the Tri club session so finish us off... not my idea!
    I was told it would improve fitness.
    I take all your advice on board there. A few big weeks of Swimming ahead with the new gear & drills & focus on technique etc.

It was just part of the Tri club session so finish us off... not my idea!
    I was told it would improve fitness.
    I take all your advice on board there. A few big weeks of Swimming ahead with the new gear & drills & focus on technique etc.

And that is the problem with tri club sessions.

And that is the problem with tri club sessions.

Ok so is it that they are not ideal for the likes of me?
    I will get into Kurts 'swimming for tri beginners' session from Monday.
    One on one leasons a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Best of luck with the new goals Ste. Delighted you are over the worst of your injuries. So are you waxing now?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

So I've done 3 terms in NAC as Improver - Intermediate - Advanced. The end result is I can swim up & down & form is okay but still not great. Still struggling with Breathing over 50m distances without a break.

WTF? They let you move on from improver when you can't swim over 50m without a break? And... "advanced"? That's nuts. The six-year-olds at our local pool have to be able to swim 200m straight before they can progress beyond the most basic beginner level.

You need to look elsewhere for lessons. Getting one-on-one would be useful, there's gotta be some major limiter if you need a break after 50m after all those lessons.

I'm baffled by this?!?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    WTF? They let you move on from improver when you can't swim over 50m without a break? And... "advanced"? That's nuts. The six-year-olds at our local pool have to be able to swim 200m straight before they can progress beyond the most basic beginner level.

You need to look elsewhere for lessons. Getting one-on-one would be useful, there's gotta be some major limiter if you need a break after 50m after all those lessons.

I'm baffled by this?!?

So am I. The intermediate class is done in 15m pool shallow so it's nit great, with a good kick you're across half way. So it's not great. Anyone can sign up for any class.

I've just read the drills in swim smooth appendix A. I'll be getting stuck into them next week. My breathing is really holding me back and it's the reason I didn't take part in your thread to date. But it's probably due to poor technique and anxiety in the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

My breathing is really holding me back and it's the reason I didn't take part in your thread to date. But it's probably due to poor technique and anxiety in the water.

You've done the right thing, you've gone for lessons (plenty of DublinHIM newbies won't), they just haven't worked for you. To be honest the coaches shouldn't allow that progression flowchart if a swimmer can't master the basics. I can't believe any coach worth their salt would allow someone who struggles to breath after 50m to progress without helping them further. You were let down badly by them. Imagine a "learn to Bike" course where "Intermediate-Advanced" had to stop for breath every 500m?

Every swimmer needs to feel comfortable with being able to breath in the water, before they can make further progress, so that should be your starting point. One of the first lessons on the Swim for Beginners thread was about breathing (see here), maybe have a read through that or ask on that thread and others might suggest what worked for them. Anxiety will tense you up and hinder breathing, so get over that ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Just to add to everything Kurt has said, Dublin HIM is an open water swim, anxiety in the pool will mean blind panic in the sea with hundreds of swimmers around you. Once you are comfortable in the pool you should get as much OW swimming experience as possible in your wetsuit (when it warms up a bit obviously ;))

Ok so is it that they are not ideal for the likes of me?
    I will get into Kurts 'swimming for tri beginners' session from Monday.
    One on one leasons a good idea?

An analogy if you will (yes MM analogy has the word anal in it)
    I go running every day with my five year old and three year old. 500m-1km depending. They love it and insist on it. I have a 3 month old. I *could* bring him running too if I wanted. That would entail leaving him lying on the concrete of the footpath as obviously he cannot crawl never mind run. This is what the coaches are doing to you.

There are two types of coaches - one will tell you what you want to hear, so you feel great and you feel like you are making progess. Two things happen after this - you don't really make any progress "cause its working, coach said, I don't need to try harder". The second thing that will happen will you will keep coming back and giving them your money. The second type will tell you what you need to hear.

Before you think you are being attacked here by some posters this is not the intention of any of us. As had been said it is admirable that you are doing something about your weaknesses now as opposed to 12 weeks out (yeah looking at you over there). Going from 0-1900m OW in a year is possible. I know Kurt hates the idea, and I'm not convinced its the best idea for longevity in the sport but it is possible. I even know someone that did it. He swam 4-5 times a week every week - just 15-20 minutes at a time to start. Long enough to get a feel for the water but stopping before he was reinforcing bad habits. He asked for help from experienced swimmers and triathletes and did what he was told.

Swim regularly, ask for help, listen to people but be weary of advice target at groups.

Two things to remember about swimming
    1) On the bike and run the gains come somewhat linearly, in swimming its much more step like. Nothing for ages, improve a good bit, nothing for ages, improve a good bit.........
    2) Breathing is not what is holding your swimming back, breathing is swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Great advice so far. All I would add is that good swimming technique can come relatively quickly. You'll know it when it happens because your relationship with the water will fundamentally change, and it is a great feeling - which - bit like riding a bike - should never leave you (although technique can "go off" a little if you don't swim regularly or don't focus on keeping bad habits out). Most tri club sessions will assume you can swim and their purpose is to make the swimmers present faster. Some tri swim coaches have more traditional perspectives and focus on make their swimmers slow down in order to reach the right form, lock in that form, and then speed up over time. This cycle is usually measured in months than weeks, but not necessarily years (the good news).

It's a wonderful feeling when it clicks for the first time, much more of an "ah ha" moment than cracking good technique on the bike or the run (both obviously equally important for different reasons).

Drills done slowly and with the right swim aids are the best way to capture correct form so persevere through this period and I virtually guarantee you will see astonishing results pretty quickly. The very best of luck with this - and remember, good times are ahead.

I'm very glad of all the feedback to date here - Thanks. No fear of me interpreting any of it as an attack at all. It's obviously what I need to hear at this stage.

My head is spinning a little but I will be putting a plan in place over the weekend. Using Props. Working on drills - no more swimming up & down hoping the breathing penny drops. And I'm going to put my usual daily strength training on hold & swim as much as I can for at least a few weeks until we find progress. Also going to hire a one on one Tri swim instructor once a week to start & get some tips/feedback I think.

Today for the first time my shoulder is aching.... probably upset it at yesterdays tri club swim.

Am I right then to take from this that maybe I should skip the Tri club sessions for a while.... or still go & talk to the coach about working solely on drills & technique (although if I'm sharing a lane this won't work maybe).

I'm very glad of all the feedback to date here - Thanks. No fear of me interpreting any of it as an attack at all. It's obviously what I need to hear at this stage.

My head is spinning a little but I will be putting a plan in place over the weekend. Using Props. Working on drills - no more swimming up & down hoping the breathing penny drops. And I'm going to put my usual daily strength training on hold & swim as much as I can for at least a few weeks until we find progress. Also going to hire a one on one Tri swim instructor once a week to start & get some tips/feedback I think.

Today for the first time my shoulder is aching.... probably upset it at yesterdays tri club swim.

Am I right then to take from this that maybe I should skip the Tri club sessions for a while.... or still go & talk to the coach about working solely on drills & technique (although if I'm sharing a lane this won't work maybe).

Mods this is obviously a troll.

Someone doing Dublin 70.30 who acknowledges weakness?
    Who accepts advice as it was intended? Realistic and helpful.
    Seriously - someone doing Dublin 70.30 who accepts that they have work to do and isn't gods gift? Not credible. The OP has just taken this too far.

(In all seriousness others in the same boat would do well to take a leaf out of the OPs book rather than staying on their high horse rather than getting off and getting in the pool and thinking that doing one/two sprints and olympics makes them an expert)

Ask for opinions on the tri swim instructor. Odds are someone will know of them.

Shoulder pain is common in starting to swim. Usually from utilising the small muscles in your shoulders (deltoids) rather than the huge muscles in your back (lats) and chest (pecs). Comes back to form and technique but should pass. However do not ignore shoulder pain!

Ask the coach does he have a plan for dealing with people at your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you are getting shoulder pain then think about hand entry. A lot of newbies tend to enter thumb first with palms facing outward - this can cause shoulder pain.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In my case a lot of shoulder issues came from crossing my arm over my centre line.

Lots of luck op, it seems you are going about this the right way. I hope you get hooked.

And one addtional note: youve already been advised on the auld budgie smugglers. Just know they are incredibly distracting for your fellow female swimmers. I hope that influences your decision on what to wear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »
    Just know they are incredibly distracting for your fellow female swimmers. .

and that applies both when the man can and can't pull them off..:)

Advertisement