Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any excuse to get into a pair of Budgie Smugglers

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Poor choice of words there, mossy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Jammers & the full swim prop kit & bag ordered & en route...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oryx wrote: »
    Poor choice of words there, mossy

par for the course really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    and that applies both when the man can and can't pull them off..:)

yesterday you were "popping lads off" and now you are pulling them off.........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

tunney wrote: »
    yesterday you were "popping lads off" and now you are pulling them off.........

indeed. as i said, par for the course. i'm giving up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Steroo wrote: »
    I'm very glad of all the feedback to date here - Thanks. No fear of me interpreting any of it as an attack at all. It's obviously what I need to hear at this stage.

My head is spinning a little but I will be putting a plan in place over the weekend. Using Props. Working on drills - no more swimming up & down hoping the breathing penny drops. And I'm going to put my usual daily strength training on hold & swim as much as I can for at least a few weeks until we find progress. Also going to hire a one on one Tri swim instructor once a week to start & get some tips/feedback I think.

Today for the first time my shoulder is aching.... probably upset it at yesterdays tri club swim.

Am I right then to take from this that maybe I should skip the Tri club sessions for a while.... or still go & talk to the coach about working solely on drills & technique (although if I'm sharing a lane this won't work maybe).

Don't forget to get on that Bike, a 90k cycle is no laughing matter especially after a 1.9k swim, and this is where you make up (or lose) most time.. word of advice- invest in a turbo trainer- it will be your best friend during the winter months of Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr :)

Does anyone know bjorn who coaches in national aquatic centre? Hoping to get him for some one on one

Week ending 18th Jan:

Mon - 40 mins Core at lunch + 4mile Run in Eve
    Tue - Morning Tri Club Swim 45mins (focus on bringing arms back closer to head & kicks) + Upper Body Weights at lunch
    Wed - rest
    Thu - Morning Tri club swim 45 mins (focus on body roll & kick from hips) + 40 Mins Leg Strength at Lunch
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 4mile Run
    Sun - Manflu ;(

Plan for this week once manflu leaves me is to swim swim swim Drills. And organise one on one coaching. Also to talk to the Tri Coach about my goals & how we might get there.

I might have a go at Raheny 5 Mile Race on Sunday - it would be my first race in about 18 months so I'd be taking it handy.

Also signed up for an indoor Triathlon in Clondalkin Leisure Centre on 15 Feb - Sprint distance. Pool 750m - Spin Bikes 20K - Ourdoor Run 5K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Does anyone know bjorn who coaches in national aquatic centre? Hoping to get him for some one on one

As far as I know Bjorn doesn't work in the aquatic centre. Works now for T.I as part of the Paralympic coaching. He could still offer the lessons in the aquatic centre but wouldn't be 100% sure. Could probably contact him through T.I if you wanted.

joey100 wrote: »
    As far as I know Bjorn doesn't work in the aquatic centre. Works now for T.I as part of the Paralympic coaching. He could still offer the lessons in the aquatic centre but wouldn't be 100% sure. Could probably contact him through T.I if you wanted.

Thanks Joey yes I saw something about that online... I have his mobile so I'll call him today to find out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bjorn is a good coach, and yes he still does a few hours here and there in the NAC. Not cheap though so dig in for the long haul! :)

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Bjorn is a good coach, and yes he still does a few hours here and there in the NAC. Not cheap though so dig in for the long haul! :)

Yea we spoke yesterday & he's available alright. €35 half hour/€60 hour. My friend is doing this with me so we might go together & split the cost. I'd be hoping that a couple of sessions would identify what's going wrong with the breathing & get us on track.

I'm also considering doing lessons locally in Trinity Donaghmede pay as you go... haven't been able to do anything this week as I've a bad dose. But I've got my Jammers, PUll Buoy, Kick Board & Fins.

Week ending 25th Jan - viral infection all week ;(

Week ending 1st Feb:
    Mon - still not feeling well
    Tue - Swim (Kurt's thread week 1 session 1)
    Wed - Run 4 mile
    Thu - Swim (session 2) + 40 mins core workout
    Fri - Am Swim with Tri club + 40 Ming Legs workout in Gym
    Sat - 9 Mile run avg 9:33/mile on very sore legs!
    Sunday - Rest (went to bike shop for cleats/shoes/speedo/tyres)

Meeting Bjorn in NAC today for some coaching

Week ending sun 8th:

Mon swim coaching with Bjorn - breathing focus
    Tue am club swim session including timed 750m in 20 mins, lunchtime exercise bike 40 mins
    Wed swim kurt's week 2 ses 1 45min
    Thurs swim kurt's session 2 with swim smooth drills added
    Fri: swim am tri club with full coach attention for 45 mins with massive improvements and lessons learned mostly regarding body roll, breathing, kick and pull through.. Plus lunchtime core and legs gym workout
    Sat; am 6 mile run 9:04 avg, PM 43k cycle with hills on new clip pedals etc, felt strange but enjoyable.
    Sunday; rest

Week ending 15 feb:
    Mon swim lunchtime drills 45 mins
    Tue am tri club swim session and lunchtime core 40 mins
    Wed stretch session
    Thurs run am 4 miles east and swim lunchtime 45 mins (including 2 100m tt 1:52)
    Fri: swim am tri club
    Sat rest
    Sunday sprint tri event:
    pool swim 750m in 20:53
    T1 3:45 (what was I doing!)
    Cycle 20k spin bikes 38:24
    Run 5k 21:48 in the park
    Total: 1:24:49

Good experience overall. Had to stop for swim breathers. Cycle was fine. Felt like I was gonna die on the run.
    Very well organised by Clondalkin leisure centre

Training: week ending 22 feb

Mon : lunch swim drills easy 30 mins
    Tue : tri club swim hard session , core workout 40 mins at lunch
    Wed ; cycle to work 37km total
    Thurs :tri club swim am , gym legs workout and upper body at lunch
    Fri: lunch swim drills 45 mins
    Sat; cycle 32km run 4m 8:19 avg, brick session
    Sunday; rest

Good week overall feel fitness improving. Swimming improving slowly but still struggling with sinky legs and breathing over long sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice couple of weeks of training dude, jealous to put it mildly.

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice couple of weeks of training dude, jealous to put it mildly.

Gettin there tang. How's your running? Have u a log?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Steroo wrote: »
    Gettin there tang. How's your running? Have u a log?

Running is getting there to, "Chasing my old self" is the log. Whats goal race this year, Ironman 70.3 Dublin?

tang1 wrote: »
    Running is getting there to, "Chasing my old self" is the log. Whats goal race this year, Ironman 70.3 Dublin?

Cool I'll check it out.
    Yea that's the goal alright!

• Advertisement

Week ending 1 March:

Mon lunch swim drills
    Tue sick baby daddy daycare
    Wed jog 5.6m
    Thurs swim with tri club In am, and gym legs and core at lunch
    Fri: am 50m pool for a nice change swim 45 mins
    Sat; had big night Friday
    Sunday; no more Friday nights in town for a while!

Had a read of the new tri magazine - v impressed

Shoulder been aching on and off the last two weeks. Feels ok during swims but feels like its loose in the socket at other times and lacking power. Need to get it looked at.

Training: week end 8 mar

Mon lunch swim driills
    Tue morning tri club session, lunch - gym core session
    Wed cycle to work and back 38km in killer winds! Swim at lunch time 45 mins
    Thurs tri club swim am, legs workout at lunch
    Fri: am 5.6mile run
    Sat; away for a nice spa weekend with the missus!

Week ending: 15 mar
    Mon: 4m run in morning, lunchtime swim session
    Tue: an tri club swim, lunch legs workout
    Wed:-
    Thu:am tri club session, lunch core session
    Fri: am 50m swim
    Sat: am 46km cycle
    Sun: -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good work going on here Ste. Your fitness must be great with all this tri stuff going on. Give me a shout if you fancy a bit of company on a run some time.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good work going on here Ste. Your fitness must be great with all this tri stuff going on. Give me a shout if you fancy a bit of company on a run some time.

It's better than it was but hasn't really been tested yet Red. Planning on upping the training very soon. Yea lets hook up for a run for sure. I'll send PM

Week ending: 22 mar
    Mon: 45 min swim
    Tue: 1 hour am swim
    Wed: swim 45 mins drills
    Thu: tri club swim
    Fri: 7.77m run avg 8:41 ,
    Sat: am 20k cycle around Howth
    Sun: swimamile clinic in NAC

Feeling very good overall this week. Swim still needs plenty of work but slowly getting better.

Thinking of doing a full video analysis soon

Wetsuit shopping soon too

Week ending 29 March:

Mon: lunchtime Swim 45 mins drills
    Tue: am Tri Club swim, lunchtime Core & Legs in Gym
    Wed -
    Thu: Tri Club Swim am - really tough session
    Fri: Am 4 mile Run, lunchtime Swim coached session in NAC as part of Swimforamile
    Sat & Sun: write off due to big night Friday ;( knocking these on the head & making the most of all weekends going forward

So no cycle this week. But the Tri Club go out every weekend 90k so I'm going to start getting on board with this.
    Looking at 4 month training plans to start in April for Dublin 70.3

Run & Cycle I feel just need time & a plan
    Swim is still a big concern. Breathing is still my biggest issue & although I'm in the water 4-5 days a week I still feel tense sometimes.
    When I revert to breathing on every 2 I can go longer but coached advice is that it's not the way to go... so I'm still training bilateral a lot of the time & tried a 3-2-3-2 pattern during the week which worked for a while & is good for balance.
    I'm definitely swimming more streamlined & getting good body roll.

But when I think about 1900m in the sea I'm a bit worried!

The Tri Club will be starting open water meets in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

"Sat & Sun: write off due to big night Friday ;( knocking these on the head & making the most of all weekends going forward"
    You'll need mental as well as physical breaks to all the training so dont forget to enjoy yourself.

" When I revert to breathing on every 2 I can go longer but coached advice is that it's not the way to go... so I'm still training bilateral a lot of the time & tried a 3-2-3-2"
    From what I can tell the instruction is train bilateral, race whatever works so I try to do some bilateral in training but race breathing to one side only

"But when I think about 1900m in the sea I'm a bit worried!"
    THis is sacrilage in these parts but: I am fairly crap in a pool even after 4 years of 3 times a week, one of which is coached but put me in a suit and I do fine. Getting into the OW in April should be great for you as most of us have some phobias about it (its cold; its wet; its dark; there is no bottom, there are waves/wind/seaweed/seals/fish/jellyfish - all at the same time) but a few outings calms those down (a bit).
    I find breathing in OW easier (notwithstanding chop) both in a wetsuit and in togs I think it is because my body position is much better but it could be partly mental too as the extra bouyancy (salt water and neoprene) makes me feel more relaxed - and I suppose the bouyancy is about body position too.

Thanks for the feedback & honesty Doeshedare.

I always do include some enjoyment but my big nights out can become smaller more sensible nights out ;)

I'm glad to hear from someone who feels better in the suit & breathing on every 2 while racing... as I feel this is pretty much how things will play out for me. Gives me a tad peace of mind.

I'm looking forward to facing the OW & getting used to it... easily said now. But I'll report on the first few outings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Breathing every 2 is fine as long you have your sighting nailed. Unilateral breathing can tend to pull you off course slightly and you may need to compensate - just be aware.

Advertisement