Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any excuse to get into a pair of Budgie Smugglers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Training last week was as follows.

Mon - Bank HOliday, travel back from Galway with the caravan & felt like a boiled shyte
    Tue - lunchtime swim 1550m (100,200,300,400,300,200,100)
    Wed - morning run 4 miles 8:45 avg, started slow & loosened out towards the end
    Thu - evening cycle 40km around Malahide, HOwth & Bull Wall Avg speed 28kph legs felt good
    Fri - n/t
    Sat - 77km wet morning ride, it was like winter! went with the Tri club lads, thoroughly enjoyable all the same, avg speed was only about 25kph but the weather was at play.

Sunday - we had arranged a training triathlon sprint distance down on Portmarnock beach, the turnout was good & it was the first time back in the sea for most of us. it wasn't a race so it was nice & relaxed. The sea was COLD but we adjusted after a few minutes & got going ;)

870m swim 15:35
    19 km bike 38:59
    4.5km run 20:46

The sun was coming out while we ran the beach & it was lovely to get the feel for what Tri is really all about again. I forgot how much I love the smell of the wetsuit. Went home & had a family BBQ & few beers with a bit of Bob, a lovely summery Sunday.

3 Weeks to The Gauntlet

Training last week... work was a bit hectic & my discipline wasn't great

Monday: lunchtime gym session Core & Stretch 45 mins, evening run 4 miles avg 8:11
    Tue & Wed: no training
    Thurs: morning cycle 20km lap of Howth, lunchtime swim 1550m
    Friday: no training, picked up the caravan straight after work & went to Wicklow with the family for the weekend
    Sat: up at 6.15am to get a nice run in before I'm missed, started out at Glenmalure & picked a road that looked flat enough... 3 miles later I was up 1200ft & loving the views, saw a few deer ;) I did a U turn & went back down to where I started & went on the next flat looking road via some nice forest trails & did another 7 miles. ended up 13.1 miles avg 10:19 & in need of a good stretch
    Lapped up the sun for the rest of the day!

Howth Aquathon this eve, quads still a little stiff from Sat so I'm not looking forward to going up/down that Balscadden hill twice

2 Weeks to the Gauntlet, I can't remember what sort of Taper is best... I think it's pretty much training as usual. I'll get a nice long cycle in this weekend & keep it short after that.

Monday 16th Howth Aquathon 1km swim 7.5km run

It was a great evening for this, sun was out & sea was calm. We got a pre race dip to get the cold shock out of the way.

Swim was good, bodies everywhere but I was relaxed & enjoyed it. Time: 23:27
    Transition 1:35
    Run was good too, eased into it & enjoyed. mile splits 7.57/7.09/7.40/6.33 - total 29:21
    Overall result 54:23 68/124

Happy overall, I was a few minutes faster than all 3 of the same race in 2015

;) On the first lap of the run someone asked me if I was getting back into the sea? Then I realised I still had my hat & goggles on - the photos will be interesting! I ditched them for lap 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in the Gauntlet dude, heading on holliers Friday so will be off Boards for 3 weeks or so.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck in the Gauntlet dude, heading on holliers Friday so will be off Boards for 3 weeks or so.

Thanks
    Happy holidays ;)

• Advertisement

Who's yer man with the goggles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

That's a great pic, where you not roasting with the hat on????

joey100 wrote: »
    That's a great pic, where you not roasting with the hat on????

Head was too cold to notice but I did start to warm up half way ;)

Training this week:

Monday: : gym 40 mins stretching at lunch, evening Howth Aquathon

Tue: Evening cycle 19.2km lap of Howth 38:45 new PB of about 2 mins legs felt great going uphill

Wed: rest

Thu: morning 4 Mile run without watch, followed by lunch swim 1100m / felt tired and stiff for both sessions ;( sleep wasn't great

Fri: morning 19km cycle around Howth taking a few detours, leisurely

Sat: the last brick session before the gauntlet, had to be back for 9am to take Lilah swimming so was shorter than I wanted - 50km bike through the city out to sandyford and back the coastal route avg 28kph, then a 4 mile run avg 8:03 and although the legs were tired on the bike there was no jelly legs on the run and I felt pretty good

Race week... going to try to eat clean & get plenty of sleep & do shorter less intense training (not that much of my training is intense ;) )

Last year IM 70.3 I came in 5:56 so my aim is to come under this, soft enough target with a 10 month gap but I think the bike course will be a good bit slower, but I'll hopefully offset this with improved fitness & endurance!

IM 70.3 Swim 45:10, Bike 2:54:44, Run 2:04

Targets for The Gauntlet: Swim 44:00, Bike 2:50, Run 1:55 - so all going to plan I'd like to see 5:45 when I cross the line

Going to see my masochistic friend this evening for a grueling sports massage - this lad is old school & does not hold back, but it always pays off.
    The bike needs a serious clean & service too.
    I can't find my TI license so they kindly said they'll post me a new one out today

• Advertisement

Physio worked on two tight calves, left hip was very tight glute etc , and left inner thigh had a few knots.. A worthy but painful visit

Tue: Evening cycle 19.2km lap of Howth legs a bit tender from massage

Wed: 4 Mile morning run 8:33 started out very stiff and tired , evening bike clean and service

Thu: morning club swim 1650m / birthday today so I got treated like a princess and got a surprise traditional Thai massage - more pleasure/pain! My neck and upper back were in bits

Probably won't do much more before the race on Sunday

4 easy miles before breakfast ..: shoulda stayed in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck on Sunday Steroo, hope it's a good un :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Neady83 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday Steroo, hope it's a good un :)

Are you not dropping in for a quick Tri on the way home from Burren marathon? For an easy weekend like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Are you not dropping in for a quick Tri on the way home from Burren marathon? For an easy weekend like?

Well now that you mention it ;) Actually, I could go and spectate :)

Lough Cutra The Gauntlet Result : http://www.stuweb.co.uk/race/1dy/103.html

I had a full race report written but when I hit post it logged me out :( haven't the time to do anohter

The RAce was a let down because the swim was cancelled. I was going good on the bike until about 60km then I was in all sorts of trouble with aches & pains & a little bonk maybe... The run was fun (just glad to be off the bike), a lot trickier then expected but a nice route.

The atmosphere was great, the setting was magic & the kids race after was impressive. The food was a let down.

While out there I had a feeling that I just wasn't really doing this for the same reasons or with the same motivation I had last year, maybe that's just because the swim was cancelled but really it's been on my mind & evident in my training. So I'm going to pull back a bit & mix things up & park this log for the foreseeable future.

I have GAelforce North in a few weeks, and the Howth Aquathons. I might have a stab at a good marathon in Dublin this year & might sign up for CAroline Kearney in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

It's a shame about the swim alright. Hard not to feel disheartened when you've worked on your swimming, only for the swim to be cancelled/curtailed. It happens all too often in Ireland, you'll drive yourself mad if you dwell on it too much (trust me! :D), the best thing to do is accept it and move on. It will take a while for disappointment to go away though, especially when you have targeted a specific race.

CK is a brilliant tri, about the best in Ireland. The swim will very likely be as advertised, and is hugely enjoyable.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    It's a shame about the swim alright. Hard not to feel disheartened when you've worked on your swimming, only for the swim to be cancelled/curtailed. It happens all too often in Ireland, you'll drive yourself mad if you dwell on it too much (trust me! :D), the best thing to do is accept it and move on. It will take a while for disappointment to go away though, especially when you have targeted a specific race.

CK is a brilliant tri, about the best in Ireland. The swim will very likely be as advertised, and is hugely enjoyable.

Nice one, CK is on the menu so, I think I'll stick to the Olympic distance going forward & focus more on speed rather than endurance. I had all my eggs in one basket for Lough Cutra instead of a season planned. There is a lot of other stuff going on this summer so I wanted to get a big one in early.

I just watched the videos of young Bailey Matthews doing his triathlon in Lough Cutra & that puts things in perspective perfectly. I wish I'd have seen him, what a kid.

I just signed up for IM Barcelona 2017 ;) relatively easy one for a novice like myself - so this log may come back to life next year & I'll be seeking some valued guidance once again

If anyone can advise on Flights & Accommodation that'd be great

It's time to get this log active again I think, to improve discipline & stay on track.

The Goal this year is IM Barcelona 1st Oct so I need to get the routine back in order & get working on weaknesses & get the base training in swing.

Since last summer I've been maintaining everything pretty much, but keeping it all easy. The only race was the Dublin marathon. Things went off track for December.

I've invested in a set of Rollers which I'm loving & I've stared to read 'Going Long' for some guidance & really enjoying the lessons in there.

The only 'race' I have in mind at the moment is the Wicklow 200, it's been on my hit list for a while so this year I'll have a go & on the way I'll surely improve my cycling & get some decent mileage in, then I'll focus on flat cycles after that.

Weaknesses to be addresses: cycling endurance & power, swim economy & bilateral breathing

Training so far this year:
    I've gone out for a few 4 mile easy runs & plan a longer run this eve 10 miles.
    I've been in the pool 3 times. last week I felt all over the place but I did 1600m on Tuesday & everything felt pretty good.
    I've had two sessions on the rollers & one club cycle 60km
    Working on Core, Legs & upper body in the gym at lunchtime 2/3 days a week

Weight is currently 13st 3lbs... so I need to get this down about a stone before Oct. In Nov I was 12st 10lbs so I hope to be back there in 4 weeks. I am still nibbling away at the Xmas left overs, discipline is lacking!

There are a few social events that will restrict me in the weeks ahead, a 3 day stag abroad, weddings, & a weekend break with Mrs Roo. but I'm keeping the summer months as free as I can.

looking forward to a challenging year ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Good to see you back logging Steroo.

I think the new Barcelona bike course is a bit different than the old one, from what I've seen there is a hill about half way out the course to try and break up the groups, not a huge amount of climbing but you do it twice. Might be an idea to keep some hills in the training, just incase. I'm sure a few from here who done it last year will be able to give you a better idea than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

joey100 wrote: »
    Good to see you back logging Steroo.

I think the new Barcelona bike course is a bit different than the old one, from what I've seen there is a hill about half way out the course to try and break up the groups, not a huge amount of climbing but you do it twice. Might be an idea to keep some hills in the training, just incase. I'm sure a few from here who done it last year will be able to give you a better idea than me.

I have done the old (faster) course and the new one. My view is it is probably 5mins slower. Its not so much a climb more than a long drag for a couple of km which is done twice. The wind can play a factor on the way back in so important to stay aero and be able to crank out the power.

Good luck in Barcelona, i love Calella and have raced there 3 times.

I have done the old (faster) course and the new one. My view is it is probably 5mins slower. Its not so much a climb more than a long drag for a couple of km which is done twice. The wind can play a factor on the way back in so important to stay aero and be able to crank out the power.

Good luck in Barcelona, i love Calella and have raced there 3 times.

Great thanks for that, we are there for 10 days so hopefully we love Calella too ;)

I've a lot of work to do on the bike. Wind drives me mad.

Training

Last Sat : run 7.5 miles out around Sutton with hills

This week:
    Monday : 1600m swim no break 38 mins easy
    Tue: lunchtime gym 45mins upper body , evening club run warm up, 400m x 10, cool down: total 6miles
    Wed: calf strain ;(. Evening cycle on rollers 40 mins
    Thu: -
    Fri: morning club swim 1450m , lunchtime gym session for core and legs
    Sat: 55km bike 2:15 very early and very cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Look after that calf!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Look after that calf!
    I took her for a jant yesterday morning, not a bother. I'll have a go at this Raheny 5 mile on Sunday. You ?

Training This week:

Mon: lunchtime 30 mins swim focused on bilateral breathing, making progress. evening cycling 30 mins on rollers
    Tue: early run 4 miles easy
    Wed: lunchtime gym strength and conditioning mixed. Evening cycle on rollers 60 mins, sweating buckets
    Fri: lunchtime 2000m swim easy with new earphones, weird & wonderful
    Sat: 70km tri club cycle in 2:38 decent spin, hanging onto the back of the pack at times
    Sunday: Raheny 5 mile 38:40 took it easy, slow out of the traps (bit of a hangover) 8.22:8.04:7.29:7.24:7.14

Training This week:

Monday : 30 mins swim focused on bilateral breathing
    Tue: lunch gym core and legs : evening run 4 miles
    Wed: evening cycle on rollers 40mins
    Thu: 40 mins rollers

Weekend away with the missus in Cavan / included a bit of novelty outdoor pool swimming

Training last week:

Monday : lunch gym mixed S&c, evening run 5.5miles 9:17 avg
    Tue: lunch swim 2100m 51 mins fc easy
    Wed: -
    Friday - stag in Spain for 4 days

This week:
    In bits , no motivation
    Thurs: 4 mile run easy
    Weekend busy with the kids

Feeling back to normal and did a lot of training plan research over the weekend. Finding conflicting advice. Received a 24 week plan from ironman by email, looks ok.

I'm unsure about doing both the long cycle and long run in the same weekend, the book I'm reading advises against this.

Time to get the finger out.

• Advertisement

Right I'm back on the wagon

I'm going to record training by times from now on:

I do this on my phone so details are bare usually.

Training this week:

Mon: swim 45mins, S&c 45 mins
    Tue: easy run 40 mins,
    Wed: club swim 45 mins , bike 45 mins rollers
    Fri: swim 45 mins, run 1 hour
    Sat:bike 3.15 club cycle
    Sun:-

Bike - 4:00
    Swim - 2:15
    Run - 1:40
    S&C - 0:45