Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any excuse to get into a pair of Budgie Smugglers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Training this week:

Mon: swim 40 mins with the club
    Tue: s&c 45 mins
    Wed: run 40mins easy
    Thu: bike 3 hours Day off from work, went from Clondalking up around Sally Gap, really nice spin! Found a great cafe in Glencree
    Fri: swim 45 mins with the club
    Sat: run 40 mins. Had to give up my morning to take the kids swimming & do chores! I haven't ever started training hard & I'm getting it in the ear ;)
    Sun:- Had a night out on Sat so Sunday was a write off.

Bike - 3 hours
    Swim - 1:25
    Run - 1:20
    S&C - 0:45
    Total hours: 6:30

Overall I'm enjoying the training to date. Every time I have a bit of time to think... Boom BARCELONA IRONMAN dominates all my thoughts... few early nerves.

Just registered for Dublin 70.3 - good timing for a warm up to Barcelona

Training this week:

Mon: swim 45 mins, S&c 20 mins
    Tue: run 40 mins
    Wed: swim 45 mins, bike 1:30 work commute
    Thu: business trip / few pints
    Fri: business trip
    Sat: bike 2 hours Howth hills, brick run 20 mins 7:40 pace
    Sun:-

Bike - 3:30
    Swim - 1:30
    Run - 1 hour
    S&C - 0:20
    Total hours: 6:20

This week:

Mon: swim 45 mins,
    Wed: bike 1:30 work commute
    Thu:
    Fri:
    Sat: bike 3 hours 20
    Sun:-

Bike -4:50
    Swim - 45 mins
    Run - 40 mins
    S&C - 0
    Total hours: 6:15

I lost a lot of time this week to work and family commitments. I was very tired too so skipped an early morning swim. We headed off to Kilkenny on Thursday for the weekend so I brought the bike and did the east Kilkenny loop on Saturday morning.

Training this week:

Mon: swim 45 mins all bilateral , s&c 45 mins
    Tue: run 40 mins easy
    Wed: swim 45 mins
    Thu: -
    Fri: swim 45 mins; cycle to work 1:30
    Sat: bike 2:10 mostly hills, shirt brick run 20 mins
    Sun:- Mother's Day so I'm grounded !

Bike - 3:40
    Swim - 2:15
    Run - 1
    S&C - 45mins
    Total hours: 7:40

A good week overall. 3 club swims nearly all done with bilateral breathing which is a good breakthrough. I was suffering with a tight QL on left side and I'm sure it's due to the single side breathing.

Bike is feeling good, legs getting stronger. Got some new aero wheels.

Run needs increased volume.

Diet and alcohol intake Is my Achilles at the moment. I love a beer in the evening after a busy day.

• Advertisement

:PClub swim this monring: 100m w/u & then a 750m TT (first in a long time!)... this felt comfortable & I finished in 14:26 which I'm pretty sure is a new PB. This gave me a good much needed lift.

I didn't train on Monday & only did a short run yesterday, heart wasn't in it & everything felt stiff. The mood overall lately is not great, I've to be honest with myself & admit I'm not sure why I signed up for IM Barcelona... need to find the answer to this Q. I'm feeling a constant pressure/stress & real training has not yet begun. Juggling family/work/training is challenging & I'm constantly thinking ahead & planning so even when I'm resting my head is spinning.

However sticking these wheels on my bike this morning made me smile!

3 Peaks Challenge this Sunday with some friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice wheels Steroo and bike.

Any merit in taking a week or two off training to reboot? Clear your head, take one factor out of the equation and it might help you answer that question about IM Barca?

Thanks Yea a few days next week maybe.

It's all in the head! If I'm not enjoying it then there is no point, I'm thinking too far ahead and the overall task, instead of breaking it down and focusing short term.

And I've no plan on paper so I need to get that sorted.

I'm not getting enough sleep maybe too!

Strava doing my nut too, not wearing my watch at all the last week and it's more enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

IM training (proper training) is 12 weeks. You only want to reach the IM 12 weeks out to be fit enough to start the actual training.

Forget about tracking strava and focus on enjoying it.

IM training (proper training) is 12 weeks. You only want to reach the IM 12 weeks out to be fit enough to start the actual training.

Forget about tracking strava and focus on enjoying it.

That changes things. So I'm over thinking the whole thing. I really am aiming to finish and enjoy this - that's what I'm forgetting. Thanks jb

• Advertisement

I started Gerry Duffy's 'Tick Tock Ten' last night... a nice bit of perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Steroo wrote: »
    I started Gerry Duffy's 'Tick Tock Ten' last night... a nice bit of perspective!

It's such a great read, he has serious mental toughness. I know it's bandied around a lot these days but there's a lot to be said for his mantra that "we don't have to do this, we get to do it".

raining this week:

Mon: no motivation
    Tue: run 40 mins before work
    Wed: swim 45 mins tt 14:26 pb 750
    Thu: - cycle 1:30 commute to work
    Fri: no time... then a work night out
    Sat: recovery
    Sun:- 3 peaks cycle 108km which took 5 hours. I did this with two collegues, once who hasn't been on his bike in a year so a bit of a struggle! The other had a cleat/shoe issue so he had to do it in his runners which wasn't ideal. great weather & a great day overall. I had a burning sensation at the front of my knee from half way... hope it was just a niggle from all the climbing. I got sunburn on one leg too!

Bike -6:30
    Swim - 45mins
    Run - 40 mins
    S&C -
    Total hours:7:55

Mon: - no mojo
    Wed: swim 45 mins. Coach bumped me up a lane and I kept up no bother but had to resort to single side breathing so not sure if this is a good move. I said it to him after and he reckons I should just attenpt bilateral at the faster pace and it'll come together.
    Thu: - cycle 1:30 work commute . Evening drive to donegal with my daughter for 2 nights
    Fri: morning run 1:00 around the hills of donegal with my brother (at his pace!) I felt this and realised how little running I'm doing. Few pints later
    Sat: drive back , no time in the eve
    Sun:- a wedding to attend

Bike - 1:30
    Swim - :45
    Run - 1;40
    S&C -
    Total hours: 3:55

Less training this week but I'm feeling more motivated and focussed. Tick tock ten is really doing the trick. My new mantra when feeling weak will be 'what would Gerry Duffy do?' ;)

Time to get the head down and start a 24 week plan

Training this week:

Mon: - wedding recovery
    Tue: more recovery
    Wed: evening run 1:55 Howth guilt run
    Fri: swim 40 mins then straight into a run 1 hour on the beach
    Sat: naas to Wicklow gap and back cycle 3:20,
    Sun:- chocolate

Bike - 3:20
    Swim - 40
    Run - 2:55
    S&C - 0
    Total hours: 6:55

After the wedding I was in bits and felt fairly bad for two days. The hangovers are getting worse. Anyway I had a great run wed night with my music pumping and I was back to myself Thursday with two sore legs.

We are away in the caravan now for a week, yesterday's cycle was hard as the knee pain returned as soon as I put the foot down so I need to get a Physio and a bike fit again to try figure out the cause. I won't be able to cycle as planned next week. I could barely walk yesterday after it.

Next week will be all about running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I could barely walk yesterday after it.

If you can barely walk, I don't think a week that is 'all about running' would be such a good idea.

zico10 wrote: »
    I could barely walk yesterday after it.

If you can barely walk, I don't think a week that is 'all about running' would be such a good idea.

It was ok after 2 days rest last time so I'm guessing it will be okay by Tuesday. It's eased today. When it settles down I can run no problem. Only cycling sets it off again. But if is sore I won't be running!

Training this week:

Mon: -
    Tue: 1:10 mountain run glenmalure
    Wed: -
    Fri: 2:30 mountain run drumgoff
    Sat: travel home
    Sun:- 2:15 run - 15 miles

Bike -
    Swim -
    Run - 5:55
    S&C - 0
    Total hours: 5:55

We were away for Easter holidays in the caravan all week, great family time with no internet or phone signal or tv. A disconnect.

Knee felt okay so I had two lovely mountain runs in drumgoff. Mostly along the Wicklow way, plenty of wildlife it was magic.

Then home yesterday and a local 15m long run today, knee a little tender since so I'll get some Physio next week.

I realised that lately I've been dropping my heel when cycling so I may be overextending, I'm going to lower the saddle slightly for a start.

Back in the pool and gym tomorrow.

Training this week:

Mon: - swim 45 mins, gym 45 mins core and legs, knee felt good. Physio in the eve for the knee, No obvious issues. Just loosened everything out.
    Tue: easy run 40 mins
    Wed: - cycle - rollers 30 mins easy gear , slight knee tingle after
    Thu: - , 1 hour run, knee felt fine
    Fri: swim 45mins tri club: lunch swim 40 mins slow with focus back on bilateral, evening 45 mins cycle rollers easy gear, knee tingle after
    Sat: rest/family commitments
    Sun:- 2:05 run knee sore towards the end and a bit uncomfortable since.

Bike - 1:15
    Swim - 2:10
    Run - 2:45
    S&C - :45
    Total hours: 6:55

Frustrated! Motivation and commitment is way up but this knee isn't cooperating. I've booked a retul bike fit for next sat. I'll avoid all cycling next week and keep runs to 1 hour max. Plenty of ice and stretching /foam rolling this week

I'm off drink for May.. and chocolate !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Time to be patient and do what you can till you're sorted. Sounds at least like the desire to train is back, so that's good.

• Advertisement

Training last week:

Mon: Bank holiday family time
    Tue: 40 min swim at lunch alternate breathing (struggling with bilateral today so I did half the lengths breathing right & the other half left) : evening 1 hour stretching and foam rolling, found plenty of hot spots
    Wed: morning club swim 45 mins. evening Foam rolling and stretching 45 mins
    Thu: lunch swim 40 mins all bilateral (breathing back on track)
    Fri: morning run 40 mins easy (no knee issues after): s&c core & legs with dumbbells at home, followed by deep stretching 1 hour in total
    Sat: morning run 55 mins easy pace followed by a quick sea dip 10 mins in Howth, was cold & rough but I got to acclimatise, I was on my own so stayed close to shore & took no chances. Afternoon RETUL Bike fit in cycle superstore, really good. saddle up 20mm, cleats moved back, new tri bars with spacers.
    Sun: test cycle 40 mins easy, bike felt great, but knee was still tender after - must be a ligament strain. going to see my old reliable Physio on Thursday morning in Tullamore for advice.

Bike - :40
    Swim - 2:15
    Run -1:35
    S&C - 1
    Total hours: 5:30

Did my first ever Ironman distance swim today, wasn't as testing as I expected so a good confidence boost overall. I was being very conservative to ensure I had the endurance towards the end. only took 3 very short breathers to grab water.

3800m 1:28

Training last week:

Mon: -3800m 1:28 swim : evening 1 hour stretching/rolling
    Tue: 35 mins run, 1:30 bikram yoga - decided to did a month trial, really enjoyed this, difficult towards the end of the class.

Wed: club swim 45 mins. Evening Run 1:10 out to Howth and back, legs felt loose after the yoga and pace was up aroun 8 min miles
    Thu: Physio session with my old trusted Physio, lots of work on right quad and thigh, dry needling. Identified knee not tracking well on the bike, cycling with knees too wide and slight muscle imbalances so some exercises were prescribed. It was impossible to train after this session.

Fri: am swim 50 mins 2000m - we went off in the caravan for the weekend to Wicklow
    Sat: morning run 2 hours - I took in a few steep climbs in Wicklow so was reduced to a walk at times. Regretted it after as knee was a little tender after.
    Sun: -

3rd dry weekend in a row, has been a lot easier than I thought and good for the head.

I have a lot of changes to make when I get back on the bike.

Bike - 0
    Swim -3:05
    Run -3:10
    S&c - (1:30 yoga)
    Total hours: 6:15

2 swims this week is all that happened. Old back injury cane back with a bang. Mobility is good today. Psoas and Ql locked up and had my pelvis tilted and disturbed a disc it seems. See how next week goes! Head a bit munched

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Urgh.

I went to a physio Friday eve who loosened out my Psoas/QL on the left side.. on Saturday I was sore & did some stretching (hamstrings v.tight) & during a back bend I got a 'click' and hey presto we are back in business ( a little tender still).

I got out on Sunday night for an easy flat spin on the bike, 30 mins & no issues.

Monday I was in the gym for a Core & legs workout (lunges/squats were no problem). In the eve I had the HOwth Aquathon, I love this race as it reminds me of when started & how scary the sea was! Anyway i decided I would just go & do the swim as the run takes in a hill & I'd probably end up going too fast & upset my back. The water was surprisingly warmer than expected & the swim went really well, it was choppy but I relished it. Sighting was better then ever & I didn't have to stop at all & kept good lines. I could have swam all evening.

Tuesday - I went to Bikram yoga & got some great relief, I'm realising now that my hamstrings have been like stone for a long time. This class is INTENSE. Then in the evening I took the bike out for 40 mins & went a bit quicker than Sunday's spin, near the end I could feel my knee getting aggravated again ;( after the cycle it was okay again.

This morning I went for a short 40 min run & the knee was a little tender & now it's sore. It's 6-7 weeks since I first got the knee pain on the 3 peaks challenge. I'm thinking an MRI might be the next step to get a handle on what's causing the issue.

I'm thinking skip cycling for June & just run/swim... then hopefully get the cycle fitness up with only 12 weeks to Barcelona. not a great plan.

Yesterday like no other I foam rolled my legs... found my calf was really sore on the inside just below the knee. rolled it for 10 mins (ouch) and felt the knee ache slowly disappear.... got home rolled some more, jumped on the bike & spun out to howth in the sun like a man posessed without so much as a niggle.... priase jeebus I'm cured!

Training last week:

Finally getting back to a decent volume & variety of training this week. On Friday I was a month alcohol free & had a few birthday drinks over the weekend. My head was so clear as a result the past few weeks so for the summer of training alcohol will be minimal.

I'm currently 12st 12lb... so I'm giving myself a month to be 12st 6lb. This should be easily achieved once I cut out cake/chocolate/biscuits/junk etc & do some decent training.

Mon: lunch gym session Core & Legs 50mins. Evening Howth Aquathon Swim 25mins
    Tue: Bikram YOga 90mins; evening cycle 40 mins nice & easy to test the knee
    Wed: morning run 40 mins; evening cycle 30 mins
    Thu: lunch swim 50mins (working on bilateral)
    Fri: morning cycle 1:15 in the glorious sun
    Sat: early cycle 3:35 Baldoyle to Bray return, taking it easy but the knee was a little tender especially on the hills. Going back 4 days in a row & doing a long cycle (with hills) was pushing my luck. plenty of foam rolling & it felt fine by Sunday morning.
    Sun: -

Bike 6:00
    swim 1:15
    run 0:40
    S&C 2:20
    Total: 10:15

I'm cycling differently now & it's taking some adjustment & I've to keep thinking about form... knees pumping in straight lines, avoid heel drop, use of the orthotics on the bike too.

I worked out a weekly structure last night for training & decided to use the plan that I received from IM as a guide. I'm going to keep my long run (Wed) & long cycle a few days apart & keep Sunday as rest day.

The happenings of last week:

Monday: lunch gym 1 hour core & legs
    Tuesday: morning run 50mins; lunch bikram Yoga 90 mins; evening cycle 40 mins.
    Wednesday: morning club swim 45 mins; evening cycle 50 mins around Howth. This was the first climbs in a few weeks & all felt okay, I took it very handy.
    Thursday: morning run 45 mins
    Friday: morning cycle 90 mins taking in Howth again. We packed up the caravan for a weekend in Wexford.
    Saturday: morning run 1 hour along Carne beach over to St.Helens's & back, glorious!
    Sunday: afternoon sea swim on Carne beach between two buoys 300m apart. 50 mins in total & this was the first time I tried bilateral breathing in open water, success!

Overall:
    Bike 3 hours
    Swim 1:35
    Run: 2:35
    S&C: 2:30
    Total: 9:40

Diet was much better this week until we hit the caravan. I'd a few drinks Sat & Sun but that's it now for another few weeks.

I've decided to have a go at the Wicklow 200 this Sunday, knee seems to be okay.

Invested in the new Garmin Fenix 5 to start monitoring HR, what a watch!

• Advertisement

Last week's training:

Monday: bank holiday return trip with the caravan, no time & wrecked tired!
    Tuesday: morning run 40 mins, evening yoga (youtube lesson) at home 1 hour (no comparison to the hot room)
    Wednesday: morning cycle 1:15 around Malahide & Howth at decent pace to test the knee, felt pretty okay. I'm loving being out early in the bring summer mornings. Evening Core & legs session at home 40mins
    Thursday: felt sluggish & tired & de-motivated, drove past the pool. felt guilty afterwards. Went to the Physio in the evening to maintenance pre Wicklow 200.
    Friday: morning run 1:35, sun was out & HR was way up. Knee was aching afterwards too.
    Saturday: rest & stretch, plenty of foam rolling too. back/neck/QL all tight again... but soon sorted that out.
    Sunday: Wicklow 200 - took it handy & go to Laragh & decided to try the Wicklow GAp & do the 200, knee complained a bit but not enough to be worried. I got anti inflammatory at the first food stop & took my time overall 9:20 moving time. Ate rings around me & felt strongest the last 50km (tailwind too). overall delighted I did this. Knee was okay afterwards.

Overall:
    Bike: 10:35
    Swim: -
    Run: 2:25
    S&C: 1:40
    Total: 14:40

Advertisement