Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

upgrading from iPhone 4 - go for 5c/5s or 6

• 15-01-2015 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Have had my 4 a long time (3.5 years) and badly cracked the screen for the first time yesterday. I could get it repaired or I could get a new phone - am not entitled to an upgrade. Also, money is a bit of an issue. So would you:
    a) get it repaired and wait for price of 6 to come down
    b) get a new 5 and if so which one 5c or 5s

I use my phone a lot and love iPhone so want to stick with that but as I said money is tight so want the best bang for my buck. If I get a new whatever, am happy to stick with it for a few years, I don't have to have the latest anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Seesee wrote: »
    Have had my 4 a long time (3.5 years) and badly cracked the screen for the first time yesterday. I could get it repaired or I could get a new phone - am not entitled to an upgrade. Also, money is a bit of an issue. So would you:
    a) get it repaired and wait for price of 6 to come down
    b) get a new 5 and if so which one 5c or 5s

I use my phone a lot and love iPhone so want to stick with that but as I said money is tight so want the best bang for my buck. If I get a new whatever, am happy to stick with it for a few years, I don't have to have the latest anything.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

I'd have a look on adverts, sell yours and put the money towards the 6. You could get anything between €60-100 for your old phone if you have box & accessories. 6's are going from 550 upwards and 5c's from 280. If you can't manage the 6 the C is fine but comes in only 8g

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

So do you think the 5c is better than the 5s? I thought it was the reverse.

Unfortunately 8gb is not enough, 16gb 4 is almost full as I have a lot of music on it, wouldn't want to go back to 8.

I've heard and read some negative stuff about the 6 bending and other issues, is this just the bigger 6? I know there is always negative publicity around new releases anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Unfortunately 8gb is not enough, 16gb 4 is almost full as I have a lot of music on it, wouldn't want to go back to 8.

I've heard and read some negative stuff about the 6 bending and other issues, is this just the bigger 6? I know there is always negative publicity around new releases anyway.

There really is no issue there, however if it does bend you are covered under your consumer rights and so far Apple are repairing and replacing with no questions for the majority of customers.

So at the end of the day there could be an issue in there somewhere, that Apple is hiding , however they honour your consumer rights.

The iPhone 5S is newer and the way Apple operates, the iPhone 5C will go to iOS 9 this year but I think thats it then.

So if you want a phone to last a few years and work fast, then go as high as you can afford. Long term benefit.
    That's not to say this suits everyone, as some are happy to run on older software for a year or two longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No-one can really say what's "better". It depends what you want from it and your budget

You can see reviews on youtube and see what you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

So do you think the 5c is better than the 5s? I thought it was the reverse

It is the reverse. 5S wins. Better processor, better camera plus more camera features, fingerprint scanner. Some will argue, but strictly on features, the 5S has a little more to offer. Whether the price difference is too much to warrant the small differences, thats another matter.

I sold the 5S pre Xmas and got the 6. Love it. Could never go back to the smaller screen (although the 6+ was just too big IMO).

Bendgate does not concern me. Have mine encased since day 1(thankfully) as it has hit the deck on 2 occasions since purchase and the case is literally unmarked :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Dodzy, what case do you have?
    I had a really good double case on my 4 and had dropped it previously, but whatever way it landed yesterday the screen smashed and badly.
    Thanks for all the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

16gb 5c's (discontinued) were going cheap on Amazon recently. Also the 5c will get updates up until the same time as the 5s. They were both launched at the same time.

ios 9 will not be rolled out for the 4s
    ios 10 will not be rolled out for the iPhone 5
    ios 11 will not be rolled out for the iPhone 5c, 5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dodzy, what case do you have?
    I had a really good double case on my 4 and had dropped it previously, but whatever way it landed yesterday the screen smashed and badly.
    Thanks for all the info.

This one

Got the screen protector from the same source. Would highly recommend it.
    Chris___ wrote: »

We're getting a bit ahead of ourselves Chris, no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Go for the 5S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Chris___ wrote: »
    16gb 5c's (discontinued) were going cheap on Amazon recently. Also the 5c will get updates up until the same time as the 5s. They were both launched at the same time.

ios 9 will not be rolled out for the 4s
    ios 10 will not be rolled out for the iPhone 5

Why would the iPhone 5 stop getting updates before the 5c? It's the same phone other than the rear case design. Even though the 5c was launched a year later it's essentially the same phone just with a cheaper casing as Apple wanted a lower cost device to sell with the 5s.

To the OP, I'd go straight to the 6, my two favourite iPhones were the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 6, it's the two biggest leaps since the original iPhone imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement