Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment for Batch Sparging

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Guys,

I'm making the leap from extract brewing to AG and i have everything i need except a 15ltr stock pot for the batch sparge.
    I could do other methods but this seems the simplest.

Anyway, its difficult to find a pot big enough in a regular store, other than buying on a homebrew webstore.
    I was wondering if i could use a fermenter to store the batch water and insulate it, (need to have the water at 80C).
    It only has to keep the water hot for the time it takes to drain my first wort from the mash tun.

What do you think? Or should i just bite the bullet and be a 15ltr stock pot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What are you doing the boil in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I do it the other way round - transfer the wort into a 33L fermenter, use the kettle to heat the sparge water, then once Im done transfer the wort to the kettle.

Buying the stockpot simplifies things however.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

neoanto wrote: »
    Anyway, its difficult to find a pot big enough in a regular store, other than buying on a homebrew webstore.
    If you're in Dublin, try Living Island on Talbot Street, down the back. I got a cheap one there. Those sorts of discount homeware shops often have good value pots, jugs and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

drumswan wrote: »
    I do it the other way round - transfer the wort into a 33L fermenter, use the kettle to heat the sparge water, then once Im done transfer the wort to the kettle.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Dunnes Stores will hopefully still have some on sale, they were selling them for boiling up xmas hams on the lead up to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Home store and more have some large stock post

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

drumswan wrote: »

Buying the stockpot simplifies things however.

I should have thought of this!

Advertisement