Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know the difference between a L3 Cert Vs a Diploma?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I did a course recently which was supposed to be for a Diploma in Anatomy & Physiology. I got it in the mail today and it doesn't say diploma anywhere, but only Level 3 certificate.

Are these the same or should I be looking to get in touch with them?
    If it was only a certificate I'd have done it online, the whole reason I booked this course was to get a Diploma

Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Level 3 in what framework, QQI (FETAC), City & Guilds, BTEC, etc. Without knowing who provided the certification its a bit hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

Fetac, was with vtct

The folks in the school were pushing vtct instead of itec for a few reasons, but this course was advertised as an ITEC diploma in anatomy & physiology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

iqmdublin wrote: »
    Fetac, was with vtct

The folks in the school were pushing vtct instead of itec for a few reasons, but this course was advertised as an ITEC diploma in anatomy & physiology

If its a FETAC level 3 then thats comparable to a Junior Cert standard according to the National Framework of Qualifications: http://www.qqi.ie/Pages/National-Framework-of-Qualifications-(NFQ).aspx
    I don't think that's Diploma level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I see from Scottish qualifications that they consider a full Level 3 VTCT as SCQF or NVQ Level 6, which would equate to FETAC 5 here.

Comparison chart for UK qualifications (.pdf)

From what I can see online, the anatomy and physiology module is one quarter of the full award.

not able to post a picture of it online for some reason.
    it says:
    VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Anatomy/Physiology (QCF)
    and with that theres a sheet saying 13 credits for level 3

• Advertisement

and no its not scottish, it says the certificate is accredited for england and wales.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes I know it's not Scottish. It was a Scottish chart I used for comparison.
    It's (13 credits) one of four units that makes up the full qualification.
    http://www.industryqualifications.org.uk/qualifications/database/plomino_documents/r-503-7640

What do you think? I sign up for a diploma and I get that?........... : /

If you were misled by the providers as to what the qualification would be at the end of your course I would expect you'd be entitled to some compensation. You would need things in writing.

Ask them straight out if it's the full qualification.

• Advertisement

ill get onto them about it this week, thanks a lot for the info!
    hopefully will get it sorted

Hi, I got this back when I asked about the cert:

Certificates and diplomas are interchangeable diplomas are usually a
    higher award but not always. What's important are the number of points
    they carry (you can make up points to obtain a degree) the awarding body
    and whether they are approved by a government body.VTCT are level 3 and
    approved by OFQUAL as you'll see on the certificate. The certificate has
    exactly the same value as an ITEC Diploma in Anatomy & Physiology,(though
    recognised in more countries) it's internationally recognised and
    equivalent to FETAC level 5. FETAC awards are all certificates but
    equivalent to OFQUAL level 3 diplomas.

Any thoughts?

That answer doesn't really answer your question.
    Here is a PDF explaining the full and partial qualifications:
    http://www.industryqualifications.org.uk/qualifications/centre-portal/statements-of-purpose/L3%20Cert%20%20in%20Anatomy-%20Physiology%20and%20Pathology.pdf

The qualification you have is worth 13 credits. That is what is important.

The full qualification is four 13 credit modules.

As I understand it, some other 13 credit courses you can add to it to make up the full award would be
    Level 3 Certificate in Indian Head Massage (QCF)
    Level 3 Certificate in Swedish Massage (QCF)
    Level 3 Diploma in Complementary Therapies (QCF)
    Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapy (QCF)
    Level 3 Diploma in Aromatherapy(QCF)
    Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology(QCF)

Again, from what I can see, each one makes up 13 credits and takes a year, so the complete full qualification to open your own salon for example, would take 4 years (if done in pieces) and be worth 52 credits.

I don't know the business at all, so I am just going on the qualifications end.

Advertisement