Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adaptor upgrade

Options
  • 15-01-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking at upgrading the powerline adaptors in the house. Currently have three TPLink 200Mbps pass through units and then one tplink av200 upstairs.

I looking at upgrading those to 500Mb units. But I have two questions.

Firstly, I'm getting around 40Mbps on my pc downstairs with these, will upgrading them to 500s make any difference or have I reached the peak for the wiring in my house?

Secondly, do I need to upgrade them all? If I only upgrade the main unit and the unit downstairs for my main pc will I notice a significant boost or are they limited to the lowest rated powerline unit in the house?

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its lowest common denominator. Slowest signalling rate will be used.

You may see a small boost in performance with the newer units, but its likely the wiring will mitigate most of the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you're going for 500Mb/s or 600Mb/s units, be sure that they have a Gigabit Ethernet port on them.

Otherwise they'll have a great speed between them on the powerline, but you will be limited by the 10/100 port on the HomePlug itself meaning you will never get above a 100Mb/s link between machines.

Devolo are using a new tech called "Range+" which essentially uses all three wires in the plug to try to connect at the best speed by choosing the best wire for the connection. Similar tech will be available from other vendors under the HomePlug AV2 standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

With my 500 homeplugs I don't get near 100 Ethernet or wireless, but get about double what you're currently getting at best. The Developed software reports that they're connected to each other at around 220/230Mb (I have 240Mb into the house) most of the time but the eventual speed to devices is much less.

This is from an office separate to the house but on the same mains. I must see what they transmit within the house some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

ED E wrote:
    Its lowest common denominator. Slowest signalling rate will be used.

Thanks ED. Going to be sore on the pocket to have to upgrade 4 of them as opposed to two. Might hold off on it so.

Advertisement