Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take Toddler out of creche while on Mat Leave?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I am due in 4 weeks and have a 2.5 yr old also, He is in crèche 2 days a week - I'm a bit unsure as to what to do with the crèche while I am on maternity leave, do I continue to send him in or do I take him out and take him back in 6 months when I return to work?

The crèche have said I don't need to take him out to keep his place, but they will need to know now if I am enrolling both kids in 6 months.

I'm afraid he wont settle back in if I take him out for 6 months. But also, with us down to 1 wage + Mat benefit - can we really afford to send him - would I feel guilty dropping him off while spending the day at home with the baby?

Just looking for opinons on what others did in this situation.

I have told crèche for the moment we will drop it down to 1 day a week (works out €50 cheaper than 2 half days)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I took mine out because creche was beside work not home.
    I would keep him there for the 1st month to give you a chance with the baby,it will make a huge difference to your sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My little fella goes to creche two mornings a week and i think if i was in your situation i would leave him in if i could afford to. Its good for him and it means you can get any bits and bobs you need to get like weekly shopping etc while he's at creche. Don't feel guilty its one possibly 2 days, i think it would be different if you were leaving him in full time 5 days a week, plus you don't have to send him every week. Best of luck with the pending arrival x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Our baby was (well, still is :rolleyes:) quite demanding, and our toddler couldn't (still can't :rolleyes:) deal with the fact that i had to feed/pay attention to baby, and would act out every time i tried to breastfeed, so i found it quite helpful to have toddler in his usual routine with the childminder (just for a few hours a day) -toddler could still play with his mates and had a routine, and i had time to take care of baby, and try and get a nap in, as baby was waking at least every two hours, day and night (mostly still is :mad:).

If you can afford to, I would. As elly sais as well, it's easier to do shopping/chores with baby than with both kids (i find, anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

When I had my third in august I still kept sending ny older two to childminder for 4 months it was best decision I ever made.

Some people spend money on nice fancy buggies or nursery furniture etc .
    I paid childminder for one day a week and it got me through those difficult first. Weeks after cesarean.

It gave children a break too and a break from me telling them to go easy with baby be gentle etc etc

if you can keep him in his routine for at least a month after baby arrives .
    It is a big enough shock for them to play second fiddle with new baby . Two and half yr olds are tough work sometimes you don't need any more stress. !!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I'm in the exact same boat as Galah. It might sound terrible to some but I used a childminder 4/5 days a week for the first 3 months, some full, some half days. I absolutely couldn't have coped otherwise. I genuinely believe my mental health and our family life would have deteriorated without it. I have reduced it to 2 or 3 half days now.
    I think it's a good idea to keep your 2 days at crèche. My new baby was a breeze for the first month and a nightmare for the second month so you never know what way it will go!
    Yes you will feel guilty but you'll get over it. The toddler is young enough to not fully understand you're at home with the baby, I just say I'm going to work and she accepts that.
    Good luck with your new baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I intended to keep my lad in part-time but he was so unsettled, once the baby came he just wanted to be at home with us so after a couple of horrendous weeks of him crying when i was dropping him off i kept him at home. Yes, maternity leave might have been easier with a couple of toddler free mornings but do i have regrets? No, there were some very tough days especially when i was trying to exclusively breast feed & toilet training a 2yr old but i did what was best for my toddler at the time so i don't think any mum will regret that.

No 3 is due this Summer and i'll be taking no 2 out of creche at least for the duration of the school holidays as no 1 will be at home anyhow and in Sept i might send no 2 a couple of mornings when school restarts but not unless he's as happy going as he is now.

I think play it by ear and keep your options open.

Advertisement