Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25e Fri Dublin eats?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Any good early birds for eats, thinking along the line of Green Hen type foods.
    Doesn't have to be town town, could be out Saggart Lucan Howth area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

The Anvil in Saggart does lovely grub. Early Bird til 6.15 mon to Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I know this place, was thinking should look it up. Gf is in work until 5pm, might be struggle with traffic to get out there in time, but good suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was in FXB on Pembroke Street on Saturday evening and thought the early bird there was excellent value for the quality of food and service on offer.

http://pembroke.fxbuckley.ie/sites/default/files/F.X.Buckley%20Pembroke_Early%20Bird.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

MsBubbles wrote: »
    The Anvil in Saggart does lovely grub. Early Bird til 6.15 mon to Fri

6.15pm is definitely for the early birds

OP if you like French food like that served at the Green Hen then I think Freres Jacques will be up your street. It's classic French fare in a fine dining environment. Food there is top notch and they do an early bird till 7pm, 2 courses for €20, 3 for €25.
    Menu here http://www.lesfreresjacques.com/early-bird/

Its a pretty small restaurant so I'd book if you're going, especially as that play with Brendan Gleeson & his two sons is now open at the Olympia a few doors down from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Muahahaha wrote: »
    6.15pm is definitely for the early birds

OP if you like French food like that served at the Green Hen then I think Freres Jacques will be up your street. It's classic French fare in a fine dining environment. Food there is top notch and they do an early bird till 7pm, 2 courses for €20, 3 for €25.
    Menu here http://www.lesfreresjacques.com/early-bird/

Its a pretty small restaurant so I'd book if you're going, especially as that play with Brendan Gleeson & his two sons is now open at the Olympia a few doors down from it.

I really like the place but an early bird menu where well over 50% of the menu has a substantial supplement is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Trocadero do a pre-theatre menu, 3 courses for €27 (€5 supplement on the steaks).
    I can't rate the Troc highly enough, by far my favourite place to eat and quaff a couple of martinis.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I really like the place but an early bird menu where well over 50% of the menu has a substantial supplement is a joke

It's mainly the normal menu with 3 cheap options of each.

OldGoat wrote: »
    The Trocadero do a pre-theatre menu, 3 courses for €27 (€5 supplement on the steaks).
    I can't rate the Troc highly enough, by far my favourite place to eat and quaff a couple of martinis.

I've wanted to try this place for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You could get 2 courses in the vintage kitchen for €28, it's BYO so you that should cut costs and it's not an early bird price it's all night. Food and atmosphere is brilliant but you will need to book well in advance for a Friday night.

http://www.thevintagekitchen.ie/dinner-menu/

Plus you could have a couple of pints in Mulligans next door beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was in FXB on Pembroke Street on Saturday evening and thought the early bird there was excellent value for the quality of food and service on offer.

http://pembroke.fxbuckley.ie/sites/default/files/F.X.Buckley%20Pembroke_Early%20Bird.pdf

Second this, was in Bull & Castle last night and had the early bird (paid €5er extra for Rib Eye Steak) and what a feed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Il Vicoletto in temple bar is a fab italian which does three courses for €25 all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

xalot wrote: »
    Il Vicoletto in temple bar is a fab italian which does three courses for €25 all night.

My sister was there last month and is still raving about it!

I used to think the same myself but for the €20 you can still get lamb or venison for your main so still good value IMO. When I'm there I normally pay a supplement to share the cheese plate for desert as its well worth the extra few bob.

A lot of city centre restaurants have stripped back their early bird offerings in the last 6 months, many don't do them on a Fri/Sat at this stage. If the OP is looking for French food on an early bird menu for €25 then I reckon Frere Jacques is as good as it gets for what they are after.

Great list of 10 ten, thanks, going to try the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Muahahaha wrote: »

Wow! Some surprising names on there - never knew the likes of Chapter One did an early bird for instance. Have only been to two of those places but think I'll work my way down the list over next couple of months. Thanks for that.

yeah I've got my eye on the Chapter One early bird too. Shame you have to order before 6pm though, I always like to have a drink before going to a restaurant but having to be seated for 5.45pm doesn't really allow for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Chez Max is great for a pre-theatre, as is San Lorenzo's.

Marcel's, off Upper Baggot St, is from the same team as the Green Hen, is great value for really good food.

The Hot Stove on Parnell Sq would be another good option for fine dining.

Plenty of suggestions, thanks folks, I'll have plenty of options for next time.
    Are lots of options actually good?
    I heard something before like, happiness is a lack of choice.

Advertisement