Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions league *sign up in OP*

• 15-01-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭

Link to the Google docs spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJ3dJ9awC0SNkEY3h5mC5AlRxtxiJNQDCJ5y8NqBLE4/edit?usp=sharing

To enter, put your boards username in the column on the left.

To enter your predictions, select the tab at the bottom for the Tour Down Under and enter the rider's last name in the predictions columns.

Point scoring for stage races:-
    Stage race GC
    1: 5
    2: 2
    3: 1

Stage of a Stage race (not GT)
    1: 3

Spoilers (taken from the Charter/FAQs)

Spoiler tags are used hide commentary about race results from boardsies who haven't watched a race live and are waiting to catch up later in the day. If you don't know what a spoiler tag is, find out. If you break the rules on spoilers, expect severe punishment. We wait all year to follow the big races so don't ruin it by being thoughtless.
    • For non-stage-specific threads about stage races (e.g. "TdF 2011"), use spoiler tags until midnight.
    • For one-day races, expect threads to contain spoilers once the race has begun. Please endevour to use spoiler warnings in the thread title.
    • In threads about specific stages of stage races ("Paris-Nice 2010 Stage 3") or one day races don't use spoiler tags. If you haven't seen the race, don't open the thread. Don't put any information about the result, either with or without spoiler tags in the first post, since the mouse-over feature doesn't work on spoiler tags. For the avoidance of any doubt, use spoiler tags when posting information relating to the current day's stage in a thread dedicated to the next day's (or any other subsequent) stage before midnight. Following feedback 8/11/14, it is now permitted to create a stage thread without spoiler tags for any future stages. This means that threads for future stages will contain spoilers for all previous or current stages
    • Don't post anything which even hints at a same-day race result in a non-stage or race specific thread before midnight. For instance: re-opening the Jens Voight thread with a link to Paris-Nice results, or creating a thread named "Vuelta stage win reported on RTE *Spoilers ahead*" which hints that an Irish rider has won.
    • If you follow the above rules, there is no need to create "contains spoilers" type threads. This is ambiguous since one person's spoiler is another persons spoiler tag.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

letape wrote: »
    Looks like this is for Porte this year with the form he is in.

Would be great to see Cadel win his last race before retirement though. He has been a great ambassador for the sport.

+1

I would be interested in a season league if kept simple ...and thanks Darkglasses for gettign the ball rolling with the first race post of 2015 :)

As for TDU I wonder how Pozzovivo will do....if he is recovered I imagine he will do well

2015 is going to be the year where riders who didn't do well in 2014 come out fighting ...like Pozzo, Porte, Purito....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This is something I mentioned during the Vuelta last year, and if there's enough interest I'll split discussion about it into a different thread. How many people would be interested in playing some kind of predictions league on-thread? Velogames is really good, but I'd love if we could have some kind of game on the forum and with a bit more simplicity. I think it could be fun to have it run over the course of a whole season too, while keeping the scoring very simple (Just stage wins and overall GC wins?).

I'm in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

This is something I mentioned during the Vuelta last year, and if there's enough interest I'll split discussion about it into a different thread. How many people would be interested in playing some kind of predictions league on-thread? Velogames is really good, but I'd love if we could have some kind of game on the forum and with a bit more simplicity. I think it could be fun to have it run over the course of a whole season too, while keeping the scoring very simple (Just stage wins and overall GC wins?).

Interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Would be interested as well. I'm sure we could set up a google docs spreadsheet to manage it if it was kept simple. Page for overall and a page for each race. One days may be manageable on one but stage races would each need there own page. Race page would be locked down before start and myself or Darkglasses assign the points after. All the UCI protour races?
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/races.php

Just need to decide on scoring? You get to pick one rider for a race or stage 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd 1 for 3rd. Could have slightly different weighting for a one day or gc maybe 5 and work back to 5th place for these? Maybe allow two/ three picks for the GC in grand tours?

Let me know what you think and I can set a mock one up. Tri forum use one to track training miles(kilometres) which is public but I think with the volume of traffic in the cycling forum it would need to be kept private and only allow access to posters so you would need a gmail account to edit. The sheet would be viewable to all but access to edit would be by granted by pm. Would be just be afraid of malicious or accidental tampering if it was public.

You want to stick this out in a separate thread Darkglasses would need to get this set up fairly quick to get people onboard before the start of the Tour down under if we're going to run it all season long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ryath wrote: »
    Would be interested as well. I'm sure we could set up a google docs spreadsheet to manage it if it was kept simple. Page for overall and a page for each race. One days may be manageable on one but stage races would each need there own page. Race page would be locked down be locked before start and myself or Darkglasses assign the points after. All the UCI protour races?
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/races.php

Just need to decide on scoring? You get to pick one rider for a race or stage 3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd 1 for 3rd. Could have slightly different weighting for a one day or gc maybe 5 and work back to 5th place for these? Maybe allow two/ three picks for the GC in grand tours?

Let me know what you think and I can set a mock one up. Tri forum use one to track training miles(kilometres) which is public but I think with the volume of traffic in the cycling forum it would need to be kept private and only allow access to posters so you would need a gmail account to edit. The sheet would be viewable to all but access to edit would be by granted by pm. Would be just be afraid of malicious or accidental tampering if it was public.

You want to stick this out in a separate thread Darkglasses would need to get this set up fairly quick to get people onboard before the start of the Tour down under if we're going to run it all season long.

What I was thinking for scoring was basically 1 point for picking a stage winner, 3 points for a classic win, 5 for a GC win.

I was planning on just doing it on-forum manually, I have no expertise with spreadsheets at all, but I suppose if we get loads of people doing it we might have to do it that way. I guess we'll wait and see if we get 10 or 40 people onboard :)

• Advertisement

What I was thinking for scoring was basically 1 point for picking a stage winner, 3 points for a classic win, 5 for a GC win.

I was planning on just doing it on-forum manually, I have no expertise with spreadsheets at all, but I suppose if we get loads of people doing it we might have to do it that way. I guess we'll wait and see if we get 10 or 40 people onboard :)

I'm no expert on them but am fairly competent, set up a fairly complex one last year using google forms with a lot of automatic sorting and colour coding going on trying out something for a college placement. Spreadsheet is much handier for sorting and keeping everything organised and in one place. Keeping a table organised in thread is hardwork probably manageable for just a few anymore than ten I'd say gets messy.

Have a look at the tri forums one from last year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057114270

Don't have time now but I'll set up one later this evening to give you an idea of my thinking.

Great, thanks Ryath! I had a go at it there now and can make a very basic functional one, but I'm sure there's better ways of doing it.

Maybe it's just me but I think doing the entire World Tour would be a little much, personally I wouldn't care much for predicting a few of the smaller stage races (which would take up as much space and time on the spreadsheet)

I'd suggest we cut the Tour de Pologne, the Eneco Tour, Tour de Suisse, GP Ouest Plouay, the two Canadian Races, and maybe the Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco.

Maybe a workbook for each race ...with the people participating listed down the rows and can be copied for each race
    Names can be Boards.ie names

Predictions for the winner of GC list in next column and each stage in next columns

Closing time for entries can be day before the race begins at 9pm
    People just e-mail their row in excel format to a manager who copies and paste

Suggest the following scoring

Following points for GT and Classics

12 for GT winner
    10 = 2nd
    8 = 3rd
    7 = 4th
    6 = 5tg
    5 = 6th
    4 = 7th
    3 = 8th
    2 = 9th
    1 =10

3 =stage win
    2 = 2nd on stage
    1 = 3rd on stage

Following points for stage races

7 for winner
    6 = 2nd
    5 = 3rd
    4 = 4th
    3 = 5th

2 =stage win
    1 = 2nd on stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

MPFG wrote: »
    r who copies and paste

Suggest the following scoring

Following points for GT and Classics

12 for GT winner
    10 = 2nd
    8 = 3rd
    7 = 4th
    6 = 5tg
    5 = 6th
    4 = 7th
    3 = 8th
    2 = 9th
    1 =10

Possibly need a bigger difference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the GC's This will likely end in very similar points for everyone since a lot will pick Contador/Froome/Nibali/Quintana to be the top 4 in the tour etc. But maybe that's okay since it'll keep it tight.

happytramp wrote: »
    Possibly need a bigger difference between 1st, 2nd, 3rd in the GC's This will likely end in very similar points for everyone since a lot will pick Contador/Froome/Nibali/Quintana to be the top 4 in the tour etc. But maybe that's okay since it'll keep it tight.

I don't think we should be picking top 1-5 or 1-10 for a GC, I think it should be just win or nothing. If we start making it that big, we might as just collate our Velogames results over the course of the season

• Advertisement

I don't think we should be picking top 1-5 or 1-10 for a GC, I think it should be just win or nothing. If we start making it that big, we might as just collate our Velogames results over the course of the season

I don't see the problem...it wil not alter the size of the application

everyone gives 22 names for the Tour ...their GC winner and each stage winner....the only extra is how the points are given out ...and you are more inclined ot be involved if your man is in top 10 but cannot win cos he lost time along the way

Having said that most people will pick Froome or Contador or Nibali
    so only the stages will show any variation

To add difference points could be for winner , a top 10 and stage winners

Just throwing stuff out there

I'd like to narrow it down the number of places that score so that it's easier for me to tot up at the end to be honest. Ok how about Top 3 score points?

GC result for Grand Tour

1: 10
    2: 5
    3: 2

Stage result for Grand Tour

Classics result

Stage race GC

I won't ask for all the stage winners of a GT at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

I'd like to narrow it down the number of places that score so that it's easier for me to tot up at the end to be honest. Ok how about Top 3 score points?

GC result for Grand Tour

1: 10
    2: 5
    3: 2

Stage result for Grand Tour

Classics result

Stage race GC

I won't ask for all the stage winners of a GT at the one time.

Great idea, defo interested. Would it be worth thinking about 1 point on GTs for predicting most aggressive rider?

For gc for example do I pick one and if he comes second I get 5?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    For gc for example do I pick one and if he comes second I get 5?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, you just pick one rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Sounds like a cool idea, I'm interested.

Sorry been up the walls with work so haven't had time to do this properly. Bit out of practise as well so bit harder to get it sort to automatically with out messing up stuff. Should get it finished tomorrow. Just need to create a sorted view of the overall page. Will do a bit of colour coding and obviously have a load of races to add!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sJ3dJ9awC0SNkEY3h5mC5AlRxtxiJNQDCJ5y8NqBLE4/edit?usp=sharing

Will give an idea of what I'm planing. Just stick in the name in the prediction column. Then after the race myself or Darkglasses will assign points. The points columns will be all locked so no one can accidentally(or deliberately) tamper with them. Will probably get one or two more onboard with permission to edit to take some of the work load from us. Prediction column will be locked before start of race/stage probably say midnight?

They're not my predictions just an example. If anyone wants to put in their name and prediction for the Tour Down Under feel free and I'll keep it in the live version. Add your username on the Overall sheet and go to Race sheet to add predictions.

Edit Just to add I'll leave it to you guys to decide on points Darkglasses is the most straight forward. It wouldn't to be to much extra work to go back to 5th in a race and 10th for GC. Will keep more people interested if the at least pick up some points. Could also add the points and kom jerseys for the grand tours?

Hi

looks good

I just typed in my GC prediction & stage 1 winner
    You can write a simple macro to do the points system if the names are all formated identically ...but I am sure you already know that ....I used to be a VBA programmer over 10 year ago ..I remember also using functions like VBLOOKUP

I think for the Tour it might be good to include KOM & a rider prediction for places 4 to 10 just to make it abit more interesting along with yellow/white/green...these points calcualtion will have to be done only once ...in Paris
    Sam for Giro otherwise everyone will have Contador for GC and it will make the competition redundant

But use simple poitns system till then .....

If you want any help I suppose i can get my old manuals out

When you say a rider prediction for places 4 to 10, do you mean we pick two riders? If that's what people want that's fine with me :)

Looks good to me Ryath! As I said I know nothing about excel or macros, I don't have anything to contribute about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

+1

• Advertisement

Hello

I am not trying to make the GC points system complicated ...honest
    Its just with the top 3/4 so set it would be nice to pick a second rider but only gets points if that riders appears in places 4 to 10..ie forcing people to think beyond the top 4

So its not just a second rider as that woudl be Contaor & Foome or Froome & Nibali,etc
    Instead its more like say Contador & TJ Van Garderen ..or Froome & Dan Martin

Anyway that is for future consideration and just for GTs

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You'll need to consider spoiler rules - my suggestion would be to allow stuff without spoiler tags but include a warning in the thread title that is does include unmasked spoilers

So are we going with the above spreadsheet to keep track?

So are we going with the above spreadsheet to keep track?

I guess so.....just need people to add their choices or name and choices..still 2 dasy to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

good idea lads! will keep things a bit more exciting during the season

just added my name to the list :)

Cool, I've changed the thread title and I'll put the link to the excel sheet in the OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lord Di Lego

Speaking of prediction games, aren't we doing a Velogames league? Or have I just missed the thread?

Speaking of prediction games, aren't we doing a Velogames league? Or have I just missed the thread?

Can do, you can make the thread yourself if you want.

• Advertisement

Can do, you can make the thread yourself if you want.

Saw pictures of the paddock for the raceon twitter, so I did it myself :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I put my name down. Will have to do some research for the race but have filled in a few names. When is the cut off for final entries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just saw this thread. I've entered my predictions on the spreadsheet :)

godtabh wrote: »
    I put my name down. Will have to do some research for the race but have filled in a few names. When is the cut off for final entries?

We'll say midnight tonight for GC and first stage. Day by day after that. Will need to decide going forward will it be midnight for European races? I may not always have a chance to lock it before the start if left till the morning?

I still haven't had time to finish setting it up so might not lock the columns yet so will be depending on people to be honest. Everything is saved anyway so can role back any changes if someone breaks anything.

Just bumping this so people remember to fill it in for stage 2

I imagine that people could still start given the results so far and enter GC rider ...maybe up until 12pm tonight ??

• Advertisement

I imagine that people could still start given the results so far and enter GC rider ...maybe up until 12pm tonight ??

Think it's still fair enough for people to enter GC prediction. Won't be at any disadvantage either seeing as the rest of us got stage 1 so wrong. Could someone stick Impey in for me on phone and it won't let me edit sheet. Won't be near a computer till after midnight.

Think it's still fair enough for people to enter GC prediction. Won't be at any disadvantage either seeing as the rest of us got stage 1 so wrong. Could someone stick Impey in for me on phone and it won't let me edit sheet. Won't be near a computer till after midnight.

I'll do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I assume if we leave certain races blank without a prediction we can still predict future races? I stupidly thought the Tour Down Under started tomorrow so I didn't predict the first stage.

I assume if we leave certain races blank without a prediction we can still predict future races? I stupidly thought the Tour Down Under started tomorrow so I didn't predict the first stage.

I'd imagine so. Throw your gc pick in too.

Will we have a race by race winner and an overall winner?
    And dont worry about stage 1, you wouldn't have oredicted the winner :p

Yeah for sure, I've no problem with people joining over the course of the season :)

• Advertisement

I stuck in Impey for you

Glass Prison 1214 and Pudsy33 you can still enter TDU as first stage not predicted by anyone

So enter your GC predictions and stage 2 onwards predictions

Glass Prison 1214 and Pudsy33 you can still enter TDU as first stage not predicted by anyone

So enter your GC predictions and stage 2 onwards predictions

I'm already in i think? Can you see my predictions in there?

I'm confused, do I need to save the document or do I just fill it in? I'd definitely put stuff in but its gone

I'm confused, do I need to save the document or do I just fill it in? I'd definitely put stuff in but its gone

It auto-saves after a few seconds I think?

I see both Pudsy and Glass Prison in now

I think as this the first iteration of the Boards league there are bound to be teething issues ...but possible to make the predication app more sophisticated with time

For instance ...a look up of possible riders
    and a black out/encryption of choices up to the closing time for instance

Wahey first points on the board :D

Wahey first points on the board :D

we are hardley settign the world on fire with our prediction abilities

we are hardley settign the world on fire with our prediction abilities

Oh god no :P two duds of days