Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you emigrate can you keep your council house?

• 15-01-2015 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, we were thinking of maybe, just maybe, emigrating to Canada or NZ, or maybe even somewhere else. The thing is, if we do, do we automatically have to give up our council house? It's a great area and a great house. Anyway, our fear is that things may not work out in say Canada or wherever and within a year or two we may have to return to Ireland.

We are also worried that if things didn't work out abroad and we had to return and couldn't find work here immediately, would we be barred from applying for SW because of the HRC (Habitual Residency Clause) That's also a worry of course. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

Not necessarily. If you explain the circumstances to the CWO u can usually keep the house.

Dublin city council have a night porter (or maybe 2 in different parts of the city) who will ensure that the blinds are drawn and some lights left on in the evenings so that the house looks lived in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

andrea1983 wrote: »

Dublin city council have a night porter (or maybe 2 in different parts of the city) who will ensure that the blinds are drawn and some lights left on in the evenings so that the house looks lived in.

This can't be true surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really hope the answer is No (apologies to the OP). With housing stock in such short supply it would be pretty bad form to leave houses unoccupied for a year or more waiting for people to return who are no longer resident in the country

I'm pretty sure the situation is the same in Cork tbh. They call the night porters "stabilising homes in times of emigration" porters and they often open windows etc dring the summer to ensure the house is well aired.

The government is committed to encouraging people to return home if emigration does not work out. Often people develop knew and useful skills whilst away and can this can be of great benefit to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

Not necessarily. If you explain the circumstances to the CWO u can usually keep the house.

Yeah, I heard about the night porter scheme but I thought it was only when you went on holiday to the Canaries for a month or two? I hope they make sure the cars are well looked after too. The CWO is close by so maybe she could pop around after work and sweep off leafs off the cars etc? Worth asking anyway I suppose.

Are you serious? A porter? Never heard of that. Me thinks you may be pulling my leg? (See above, btw, lol) You can buy light timers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would hope that it is not possible to do this. Complete madness. TBH I even find it mad that somebody could even think this would be possible / acceptable.

But I do wish you luck if you emigrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sweet Jebus, you couldn't make this sh1t up. I must ask my mortgage provider if they have a similar system.

TBF they don't really advertise it, but it definitely happens. I had a neighbour who emigrated to Australia with his wife. He returned about a year ago and found a job as an IT consultant and was able to move back into the house for a short period of time whilst he reestablished himself. He's renting privately elsewhere now and I'm not in touch with him so can't provide any other details of how he applied.

TBF they don't really advertise it, but it definitely happens. I had a neighbour who emigrated to Australia with his wife. He returned about a year ago and found a job as an IT consultant and was able to move back into the house for a short period of time whilst he reestablished himself. He's renting privately elsewhere now and I'm not in touch with him so can't provide any other details of how he applied.

Do the council at least let out the property for short term emergency cases ?

greendom wrote: »
    I really hope the answer is No (apologies to the OP). With housing stock in such short supply it would be pretty bad form to leave houses unoccupied for a year or more waiting for people to return who are no longer resident in the country

Meany, lol.

You have a point in one respect, in another, a no could discourage people from taking the risk of emigrating and in turn potentially costing the State, the taxpayer, even more through SW payments. And if it didn't work out abroad, potentially you'd be back on rent allowance in a privately rented dwelling and back on the housing list, again.

Pity successive government didn't invest more in social housing.

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus, you couldn't make this sh1t up. I must ask my mortgage provider if they have a similar system.

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is? Oh, the days.....

Do the council at least let out the property for short term emergency cases ?

That I don't know. I don't recall anyone moving in to the property but I know some family members who were visiting from (I'm not sure, but guessing) Mayo for the AI stayed there over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Hi, we were thinking of maybe, just maybe, emigrating to Canada or NZ, or maybe even somewhere else. The thing is, if we do, do we automatically have to give up our council house? It's a great area and a great house. Anyway, our fear is that things may not work out in say Canada or wherever and within a year or two we may have to return to Ireland.

We are also worried that if things didn't work out abroad and we had to return and couldn't find work here immediately, would we be barred from applying for SW because of the HRC (Habitual Residency Clause) That's also a worry of course. Thanks.

No OP. There is a massive housing shortage in the country right now and families are suffering horrendously while waiting to be housed. You need to be absolutely certain when you leave here that your social housing entitlement is over, and that if it doesn't work out for you abroad that you may have great difficulty accessing services if you return.
    If your feeling that this is unfair then you should try and imagine how you would feel if you returned from Canada and had to be put into a hostel because there were no houses, only to find that a load of houses were being kept empty in case emigrants decided to come home.

Meany, lol.

You have a point in one respect, in another, a no could discourage people from taking the risk of emigrating and in turn potentially costing the State, the taxpayer, even more through SW payments. And if it didn't work out abroad, potentially you'd be back on rent allowance in a privately rented dwelling and back on the housing list, again.

I've been called worse ! Ha!

I can see your point and think maybe there should be some sort of compromise where emigrants have 6 months to decide whether or not to return home. If they choose to stay away beyond the 6 months then the property is forfeited. it's just too valuable a resource to leave idle for longer, imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've been called worse ! Ha!

I can see your point and think maybe there should be some sort of compromise where emigrants have 6 months to decide whether or not to return home. If they choose to stay away beyond the 6 months then the property is forfeited. it's just too valuable a resource to leave idle for longer, imo!

but you can do that..if you buy your own house. If the house belongs to the country (people of) then why would we allow that? sorry to be harsh but its true!

We cant all afford to head off and try another country and have 100% fallback if it doesnt work out...Its called Life!

emeldc wrote: »

I know it sounds frustrating but if somebody goes off and gains new skills and talents that they will put to use in the economy, this should be encouraged.

I think that's the notion behind it anyway.

He may have done it on the sly. Might phone the housing dept and ask but it looks like it's a no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

I can't beleave this I'd true.
    Seriousky if I emigrate can I keep my council house wtf.
    I really hope this doesn't happen 1100 euro a month I pay for rent because we can't get a loan to buy a house.
    And you ask can u keep your house if u emigrate what has this country come to I'm gob smacked

No it was definitely not done on the sly. You need to ask for the right department...stabilising homes etc. There's one or two that deal with it in DCC and Cork. i'm not sure about the other LA areas.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    No OP. There is a massive housing shortage in the country right now and families are suffering horrendously while waiting to be housed. You need to be absolutely certain when you leave here that your social housing entitlement is over, and that if it doesn't work out for you abroad that you may have great difficulty accessing services if you return.
    If your feeling that this is unfair then you should try and imagine how you would feel if you returned from Canada and had to be put into a hostel because there were no houses, only to find that a load of houses were being kept empty in case emigrants decided to come home.

Oh well. That pretty much settles it for us then. We stay. We don't take the plunge, as the risk is too great. So we stay on SW until, if, we can find employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Isn't this the definition of having your cake and eating it?

I agree completely.

The stabilising homes in times of emigration scheme is small to prevent this. But really the alternative dog in a manger attitude of not bettering or educating oneself to get a job or be a productive member of society is the other side of the coin as noted above by the OP who, if she can't have everything her way is going to live on handouts from hardworking members or society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

I don't know which I'm more surprised at, the OP?

Or, the idiots who believed some of the replys...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You have a point in one respect, in another, a no could discourage people from taking the risk of emigrating and in turn potentially costing the State, the taxpayer, even more through SW payments.

It might surprise you to hear this, but in general the state does not want to encourage all of its residents to leave the country! They would prefer them to stay here and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 capt fantastic

Meany, lol.

The amount of SW payments it would take for that to have actually been cost effect would be astound. You would need enough SW payments to actually build a house to make that logical.

Even if someone got skills that were worth contributing to the economy they are only worth it if that person gets a job and wouldn't need the social housing any more or at least not SW payments

Times are tight so I can see how building social housing would be hard. But we need more social house encase someone goes away and wants to keep the house is not the reason more house should have been built or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bizarre if true.
    Quite bizarre even for this kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Respectfully Op, are you pulling legs with this ?

I know the weather is bad and we need some cheering up !

Really would be amazed if there was the facility you are looking for.

Best wishes on your move abroad

burke027 wrote: »
    I can't beleave this I'd true.
    Seriousky if I emigrate can I keep my council house wtf.
    I really hope this doesn't happen 1100 euro a month I pay for rent because we can't get a loan to buy a house.
    And you ask can u keep your house if u emigrate what has this country come to I'm gob smacked

No offence but you are looking at it in a knee jerk, short sighted way. If it could be done, it could well free up housing in the short to medium term, say up to 1 or 2 years. I would guess the vast majority of emigrants stay away for at least longer than one or two years. House available for new tenants if gone longer than that. Alternative, some/many, such as us, would not consider leaving in the first instance and house still remains occupied.

Having such an option is an incentive to emigrate, knowing that for a limited period of time there is a safety net if things don't work out abroad. We are not going to emigrate if the risk is too great, that means we stay, we stay and end up costing the Sate even more (not that we want to) That is what is a bit loopy - not that the option for it might exist. We would certainly consider moving, almost a definite, if we had that safety net. If we don't,we certainly, 100%, will not consider emigrating to find careers.

Having a home is one of the most basic things, wants, in life. Everything else can work itself around that. Many get a job to buy a home, luckily we have a home but we don't have jobs. We won't risk losing what is now our home even if that means remaining unemployed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Time to close the door on this thread.

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement