Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Moped/Scooter idiots

• 15-01-2015 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi All,

I commute daily into Dublin City Centre and I have a pain in my swiss looking at moped/scooter riders riding like idiots.

They're not all bad of course but you know the type I mean, dressed in their work clothes, no protective gear, no experience, no clue. Undertaking cars, swerving all over the place, no life savers, the list goes on.

As the weather gets worse so do the chances of these clowns endangering themselves and others.

It's too easy to jump on a moped with a car licence and know nothing about being on two wheels.

Now I feel better :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I would happily have ever moped blow up and their owners shot , fecking noisy bastarding machines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Heh. I remember in the mid-2000s those things were all over the place, with de chungfellits an' chungwans wobbling around hanging on for dear life and sometimes half-dressed. That seemed to fizzle out when the automatic moped entitlement disappeared from category B leaner permits. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hi All,

I commute daily into Dublin City Centre and I have a pain in my swiss looking at moped/scooter riders riding like idiots.

They're not all bad of course but you know the type I mean, dressed in their work clothes, no protective gear, no experience, no clue. Undertaking cars, swerving all over the place, no life savers, the list goes on.

As the weather gets worse so do the chances of these clowns endangering themselves and others.

It's too easy to jump on a moped with a car licence and know nothing about being on two wheels.

Now I feel better :D

Fúck them! Let them do what they want, wear what they want and drive like they want, to a certain extent. Once they stop filtering past me at red lights and stopping in front of me :mad: I overtake them and then repeat at next set of lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

jimgoose wrote: »
    Heh. I remember in the mid-2000s those things were all over the place, with de chungfellits an' chungwans wobbling around hanging on for dear life and sometimes half-dressed. That seemed to fizzle out when the automatic moped entitlement disappeared from category B leaner permits. :pac:

I must confess, my first road bike was an Aprilia SR 50 in 2001 at 16, I upgraded to an NSR 80 3 months later, the SR was great for learning the road

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

I must confess, my first road bike was an Aprilia SR 50 in 2001 at 16, I upgraded to an NSR 80 3 months later, the SR was great for learning the road

Whoops! I had an sr50 in 2000 at 17 went from that to the nsr125 about 9 months later. The aprilla was a good bike for learning the road, build quality was sh!te though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Granted they're not on scooters but I'm always ranting about kamikaze delivery driver's on 125 for a well known pizza chain in Rathmines. Ludicrous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Trebob wrote: »
    Whoops! I had an sr50 in 2000 at 17 went from that to the nsr125 about 9 months later. The aprilla was a good bike for learning the road, build quality was sh!te though!!
    I wanted the SR when I was 16. Went for the Peugeot Speed fight instead.

Those were great days!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

The Aprilia's build quality was shocking alright, I had my rear brake caliper snap off the mounting points while I was riding down the road, it was mounted to the crankcase so that was fecked, the caliper then smashed the rear wheel up and pull the line apart in the process, spilling brake fluid everywhere, I was blessed not to come off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I commute daily into Dublin City Centre and I have a pain in my swiss looking at moped/scooter riders riding like idiots

Have you been to any other European capital? Cause your in for a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

The Aprilia's build quality was shocking alright, I had my rear brake caliper snap off the mounting points while I was riding down the road, it was mounted to the crankcase so that was fecked, the caliper then smashed the rear wheel up and pull the line apart in the process, spilling brake fluid everywhere, I was blessed not to come off it

I remember the exhaust rotting away after 6 months working the one bolt out that held it on while riding and having to get it into gp motorcycles at Connelly station with duct tape an and a double headed screwdriver, wouldn't dream of doing it now but thems were the days alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Have you been to any other European capital? Cause your in for a shock!
    Never mind Europe. Try Hanoi! Its proper mental!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Never mind Europe. Try Hanoi! Its proper mental!
    Been surrounded by mad scooters at traffic lights in Italy - Florence/Rome/Milan (half of them grannies) and Asia - Japan/Malaysia/Singapore.
    Irish are only amateurs at the game. Bit like the slow motion football game in Father Ted by comparison.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Scooters are not generally the problem. Some car drivers are... who did not see you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Been surrounded by mad scooters at traffic lights in Italy - Florence/Rome/Milan (half of them grannies) and Asia - Japan/Malaysia/Singapore.
    Irish are only amateurs at the game. Bit like the slow motion football game in Father Ted by comparison.:D

Absolutely- looks nuts but there's a 'system' and most just can't see it. It took me one day in Kathmandu to figure it out and I was away for the proverbial slates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jimgoose wrote: »
    B leaner permits. :pac:

How many scooter riders are out there assuming they still have the entitlement cos of a full B I wonder?

Advertisement