Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I learn to drive before going to Australia?

• 15-01-2015 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

I was thinking of going over on a working holiday visa in 4 weeks but I am gonna be going it solo and it only just dawned on me that maybe my not knowing how to drive will hamper my experience over there.

Can anyone confirm if driving is neccesary for really seeing the country properly? I'm willing to delay another 4 or 5 months to learn to drive.

Coincidentally I was offered a contract extension in a job I kinda hate for another 5 months. I'd already have 9k going to oz but I'm thinking I should work another 5 months to save up more.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You will not be permitted to drive unaccompanied on a Learner permit in Australia. The licensing regime is very tough. They actually enforce laws over there, which is a culture shock for Irish. If you could get your full licence before going it would stand you well. You might be treated as if you were on a "Provisional" licence which has some restrictions but better than a learner permit.

As for whether you need to be able to drive? Probably not. Paying for petrol will get you some lifts. There are decent coach services too, but you'll be at the mercy of their timetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Being able to drive over here will help you in many ways. It will enable you to see more of Australia if you intend to hire or buy a car. It will give you more options when it comes to jobs as some jobs can be in locations that aren't convenient by public transport. Depending on how long you want to stay it will definitely make it easier to do the regional work for a second working holiday visa as public transport is generally non existent in these areas. Only you can make the decision to stay in the job that you don't like for a little longer though. If you can then it may make your time in Australia easier and better. Australia isn't going anywhere and it will also give you more time to save money...which you could use to buy a car here:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

If you have the time and the means to get your license before you come over here, definitely do it.
    Some of the best things I have done over here have been road trips.
    It will make it easier to find work.
    Relying on public transport is fine if you are just farting around the city center or live in a very well serviced suburb, but the reality is that you may want to travel to a rural area, to trip up or down the coast or need to commute to get work. All of these things are harder and slower without a license.

If you run out of time don't freak out about it, but not having one will definitely turn out to be a pain in the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dareden

Having a driving licence would be a benefit to have over there. Because of their open insurance rules they tend to be very casual about lending cars. In many jobs, admin and farm work, the boss would just hand you the keys and expect you to drive to run errands. They were quite shocked when I had to tell them I couldn't drive. They all tend to get their drivers licence in school.

Advertisement