Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping from China to Ireland?

Options
  • 15-01-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We are wondering what kind of charges we will incur for shipping bottles from China. We received a ridiculous price from dhl, €1800, then saying they would give us 30% off which is 1200 but is still far too high.
    If the company's has a warehouse or something in China then our seller will send them there.
    If not the nearest port to our seller is Yiwu, Zhejiang China port. The dimensions of the boxes are: 54 x 54 x42 cm/ carton
    Gross weight: 15.5 kgs /carton
    We will be ordering 5 of these cartons.
    Does anyone know what's the best price you can get for shipping including additional port fees etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I don't mean to be blunt, but this comes up a lot

Contact as many companies as you can find and get quotes from them all, there are many others besides DHL. Try researching to see can you get it over with someone else's stuff (cheaper together).

Common this is easy stuff, you can do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

We are wondering what kind of charges we will incur for shipping bottles from China. We received a ridiculous price from dhl, €1800, then saying they would give us 30% off which is 1200 but is still far too high.
    If the company's has a warehouse or something in China then our seller will send them there.
    If not the nearest port to our seller is Yiwu, Zhejiang China port. The dimensions of the boxes are: 54 x 54 x42 cm/ carton
    Gross weight: 15.5 kgs /carton
    We will be ordering 5 of these cartons.
    Does anyone know what's the best price you can get for shipping including additional port fees etc

Hello Deirbhilemcc,

The price you are indicating there is likely to be an air courier service (DHL ....) I will PM you with a sefreight price ex FOB Ningbo (which is the mainport in Zhejiang province (Yiwu is an inland terminal)

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Joseph wrote: »
    I don't mean to be blunt, but this comes up a lot

Contact as many companies as you can find and get quotes from them all, there are many others besides DHL. Try researching to see can you get it over with someone else's stuff (cheaper together).

Common this is easy stuff, you can do it :)

Hello Joseph,

just a quick note.

Indeed it is easy stuff if you have an understanding of what importing entails. Just getting quotes for shipping is indeed the simple part. Question I have is Do you have all the (correct) information available to be able to ask shipping companies to quote? For instance, have you agreed INCO (e.g. Ex Works or Free On Board) terms, so that you can inform the shipping company from what point to which point they are expected to quote. Especially when you are working of Ex Works terms in China there are some significant (and costly) challenges around the Export Customs formalities.

Also, what advice do you need, especially if you have never brought in goods from outside the EU before, such as ;

- Customs classification / import duty
    - VAT
    - EORI
    - Marine Cargo Insurance (not just for loss or damage to the goods, but also to cover incidents like "General Average")
    - Verifying / sourcing potential suppliers (are they on the level ?)

I think the link you provided to other posts on Boards on this topic is great. However, it takes a lot of sifting through. Not all of it is relevant. I am always happy to assist, provide advice to each individual poster (as circumstances differ for each individual / company)

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 12 josteed

Hi Rudolf289,

I'm lost trying to get my first order from China on the road.
    I'm looking to purchase plastic piping that comes in 3m lengths. My initial order would be 400kg with dimensions 3m x 1.1m x 1.1m. The company has quoted $1250 incl 0.6% tax and freight. Near Shangai.
    I'm in Limerick and would greatly appreciate advice on how to process the order. If this is something you do yourself then even better.

If anyone else can advise, please do!
    Thanks in advance
    Josteed

josteed wrote: »
    Hi Rudolf289,

I'm lost trying to get my first order from China on the road.
    I'm looking to purchase plastic piping that comes in 3m lengths. My initial order would be 400kg with dimensions 3m x 1.1m x 1.1m. The company has quoted $1250 incl 0.6% tax and freight. Near Shangai.
    I'm in Limerick and would greatly appreciate advice on how to process the order. If this is something you do yourself then even better.

If anyone else can advise, please do!
    Thanks in advance
    Josteed

Good morning Josteed,

In response can advise the following ;

1. Recommend you agree Free On Board (FOB) or Free Carrier (FCA) Shanghai - export cleared, with your supplier (These are known as INCO Terms). Allowing your supplier to arrange the shipping from Shanghai to Ireland will lead to significant arrival costs that you have no control over (search this forum for : China Import Service Fee and see some of the horror stories that have befallen some of the posters)

2. Before you place the order with the supplier ask for references, preferably in the UK / Europe. Check those references in order to get a feel for the reliability of the supplier and the quality of the product.

3. It is likely that you will have to pay a minimum of 30 - 50% of the order up front and the balance before the goods leave the factory. That is standard practice in China.

4. Once you have established the incoterms (FOB or FCA), we can confirm the shipping costs from Shanghai to Limerick. We can also confirm the Duty / VAT likely to be payable on arrival. Allow for 6.5% Import Duty over the cost of the product plus freight costs and 23% VAT over the combined cost of product plus shipping plus Duty. If you are a VAT registered trader you will be able to claim the VAT paid on import back through your peridoci VAT return.

5. If you have never imported from outside the EU you will be required to register for EORI. You can make contact with the AEP Help desk via e-mail ;aepheldesk@revenue.ie or call them at 1890 204304 and ask them to register for EORI. You will need to answer a few simple questions, the process should take no more than a few minutes.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭2009_

Used to bring in trailer upon trailer from China. We used a company called Primeline, they looked after all the paperwork, and their rates were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joecivic

Hi im looking to bring some bouncy castles in from china but looking for shipping costs...

Advertisement