Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options
  • 15-01-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Doesn't look like there is a thread for this yet so I'll start one.

Last years thread.

It is on 1st Nov 2015 this year.

Entries opened today and are open till Feb 15th.
    http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/

They changed their entry requirements this year so will be interesting how it works out.

I applied the last 3 years with no luck and then they got rid of the guaranteed entry after 3 attempts. :mad: Luckily they also changed their time qualifying standards so have just applied through that. It is not guaranteed as my marathon wasn't a NYRR event so its a first come first served basis. Fingers crossed they'll have spots left over for outsiders.

Anyone else hoping to get in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Luckily they also changed their time qualifying standards so have just applied through that. It is not guaranteed as my marathon wasn't a NYRR event so its a first come first served basis. Fingers crossed they'll have spots left over for outsiders.

Yep, I've done the same. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I see it's 347$ to enter in the ballot . That's me out.

As Gordon Ramsey would say WOW....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Doesn't look like there is a thread for this yet so I'll start one.

Last years thread.

It is on 1st Nov 2015 this year.

Entries opened today and are open till Feb 15th.
    http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/

They changed their entry requirements this year so will be interesting how it works out.

I applied the last 3 years with no luck and then they got rid of the guaranteed entry after 3 attempts. :mad: Luckily they also changed their time qualifying standards so have just applied through that. It is not guaranteed as my marathon wasn't a NYRR event so its a first come first served basis. Fingers crossed they'll have spots left over for outsiders.

Yeah, I've applied but I think I've made a dumb mistake. I put down my Half time from a small German Race instead of the much better known ING Luxembourg Half which though slower, would be enough - the advantage of being old! Now the Trier HalbMarathon is ratified and official but whether they'll find the website (in German) or not ........ Should I mail them or what? I'll probably just see how it goes.

I see it's 347$ to enter in the ballot . That's me out.

As Gordon Ramsey would say WOW....

Almost $100 cheaper with a US address. Talk about discrimination!
    Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, I've applied but I think I've made a dumb mistake. I put down my Half time from a small German Race instead of the much better known ING Luxembourg Half which though slower, would be enough - the advantage of being old! Now the Trier HalbMarathon is ratified and official but whether they'll find the website (in German) or not ........ Should I mail them or what? I'll probably just see how it goes.

I pasted a link to my result in the same box beside the name of the race. Too late for you to do that now though. Maybe email them the link?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Almost $100 cheaper with a US address. Talk about discrimination!

I pasted a link to my result in the same box beside the name of the race. Too late for you to do that now though. Maybe email them the link?

$hit! Should have thought of that. I should mail thm i suppose. That said, part of me is wondering about the logistics and money involved in this visit.... Will probably have to bring Mrs I and two kids. And when would we fly. Probably the Friday if I can get it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I might be wrong, but if you are selected I think you will be asked to provide the evidence of your qualifying time then by giving them the link etc. I doubt they will just randomly google it and hope to find it but I may be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

I'd say Cona is right. They didn't ask for any link during registration, they just say it should be verifiable online so they'll probably ask for the link if you get in.

Folks, when do you reckon we'll know how the application has gone? Will they wait till Feb 15th or might it be earlier in the Good for Age part of the process? Just wondering about hotels and flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Entered the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

I'm trying to enter the ballot. In order to enter, I have to set up a NYRR account. But when I go through the form to open the account, it won't let me type in the "City" field - it's greyed out. And I can't continue without entering the City.

Any ideas how to get around this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I'd say Cona is right. They didn't ask for any link during registration, they just say it should be verifiable online so they'll probably ask for the link if you get in.

The email I got said applications for a time qualifier were on a first come first served basis but didn't say when you'd actually find out. My own guess (& it's only a guess) was after the closing date for entries in Feb.
    Tester46 wrote: »
    I'm trying to enter the ballot. In order to enter, I have to set up a NYRR account. But when I go through the form to open the account, it won't let me type in the "City" field - it's greyed out. And I can't continue without entering the City.

Just checked my details there & I've got Cork in the city field so it obviously allowed me enter it last Dec. Have you picked Ireland for the country already?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

opus wrote: »
    Just checked my details there & I've got Cork in the city field so it obviously allowed me enter it last Dec. Have you picked Ireland for the country already?

Yes, I've picked Ireland as the country. Actually, no matter what country I pick, the City field is greyed out. I wonder is this a NYC Marathon issue or a browser issue? I have emailed them and I'll try from a different computer later on..

I just got an acceptance email to say I'm in...what's going on?

Cona wrote: »
    I just got an acceptance email to say I'm in...what's going on?

Me too!! It did say first come first served. So if they've filled up the slots, why wait. Let the bookings begin.

Absolutelying bizarre...I thought I hadn't a hope in hell of getting in...now I'm down 300 notes haha

2 buddies also got in....

Me too!! It did say first come first served. So if they've filled up the slots, why wait. Let the bookings begin.

Congrats guys! I haven't heard anything yet myself. I applied 8 mins after registration opened. Don't tell me I was too late with that :confused:

So, are they asking for verification of your times or do you think they've done that already?

Congrats guys! I haven't heard anything yet myself. I applied 8 mins after registration opened. Don't tell me I was too late with that :confused:

So, are they asking for verification of your times or do you think they've done that already?

Duke, I applied about 30 mins after opening. No, they haven't asked for a bleeding thing. Almost suspicious except it's the same address alright from the NYRR people.

Nothing for me yet either.
    In my NYRR account, my status is showing as "Time Verification Pending".
    Does this mean I'm in once they confirm the time?

Nothing for me yet either.
    In my NYRR account, my status is showing as "Time Verification Pending".
    Does this mean I'm in once they confirm the time?

Seems that yes you will be.

Just got my acceptance email :)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping they're working backwards as I still haven't got mine yet. Should be good for it seen as I applied before Itziger.

I'm hoping they're working backwards as I still haven't got mine yet. Should be good for it seen as I applied before Itziger.

But did ya donate a tenner to the charity, like I did???

Crafty little fella me.

Anyone got any particular recommendations of places/areas to stay in?
    I'm assuming Lower Manhattan to make it easier to catch the Staten Island ferry in the early hours of race morning?

Anyone got any particular recommendations of places/areas to stay in?
    I'm assuming Lower Manhattan to make it easier to catch the Staten Island ferry in the early hours of race morning?

We'll be getting plenty of advice between now and then Yaboya. Lower Manhattan is an area I like, not Financial District, but around your Canal St/Houston St area. Do people avail of the official transport is one question I'll be looking for an answer to. I believe that does both Midtown and Downtown.

We're hoping to do a deal with 'friends' who have a place in New York. If that turns out cheap or even free!! then I don't care where it is.

I'm also looking at hotel options, would be nice to know what to look for.
    Prices in Manhattan are pretty hefty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Manhattan is damn expensive for hotels. Really worth considering staying in North williamsburg. Decent prices on airbnb, also nice track at McCarren Park which I think the marathon passes near the halfway point. Williamsburg itself is a great spot though might be a bit too hipster for some. Also only a couple of stops on the Subway to Manhattan for the sight seeing and shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Crafty little fella me.

Great stuff, you're ahead of the game! I had the confirmation email by 12:04 that day but my status is still sitting at 'Time Verification Pending', still I'm hopeful.

opus wrote: »
    Great stuff, you're ahead of the game! I had the confirmation email by 12:04 that day but my status is still sitting at 'Time Verification Pending', still I'm hopeful.

Opus (and Duke of D) I wonder is it to do with age categories. Your case does sound positive alright but if they could find the Trier Halbmarathon results, then they should be able to verify any race!

Hope both of you get in now. If, as looks likely, I'll be there with the crew, I might not be doing the post run drinks analysis but I might bump into a few of ye for a quick jar.

Not exactly age categories. I think it may be based upon your qualifying time and the higher up the pecking list this places you.

• Advertisement

I didn't, but I got in :D Just got my confirmation email.

Advertisement