Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Even though I got the acceptance email and my credit card charged I still feel like this was somehow a mistake...I mean I entered and within 6 hours I was accepted. So was a number of my friends. I thought this marathon was supposed to be impossible to get an entry.

It almost seems like one big mistake or something......

Cona wrote: »
    Even though I got the acceptance email and my credit card charged I still feel like this was somehow a mistake...I mean I entered and within 6 hours I was accepted. So was a number of my friends. I thought this marathon was supposed to be impossible to get an entry.

It almost seems like one big mistake or something......

You're right it's amazing everyone found out so quickly! I fully expected to be kept waiting 'til March. Still let's not complain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

donnacha wrote: »
    Manhattan is damn expensive for hotels. Really worth considering staying in North williamsburg. Decent prices on airbnb, also nice track at McCarren Park which I think the marathon passes near the halfway point. Williamsburg itself is a great spot though might be a bit too hipster for some. Also only a couple of stops on the Subway to Manhattan for the sight seeing and shops.

Did an Airbnb in Brooklyn and was half the price of Manhattan and very spacious. $20 incl tip got me a car service to the Ferry the morning of the marathon.
    Was right beside the subway that took me into Manhattan and was at mile 6/7 of the route so if you are travelling with family/supporters makes them easy for them to see you then hop on the subway into the city and see you there

Any other Q's dont be afraid to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, anyone here go into the full open lottery? I have a friend who has and I'm wondering when ye expect to know. Maybe they'll be quicker than expected like they were for the rest of us. I'm curious too cos I'd say prices will go North soon enough.

We got fantastic prices on the flights and a decent price through AirBnB on a place in Manhattan. Had a couple of friends over for the weekend from London, both of em work for BA. They couldn't believe what I had I paid - less than 400 euros each, everything included and going from Lux via London. They reckon it would be more expensive from London to NY alone. When they realised I was talking euros to boot they almost began to doubt me!

• Advertisement

We got fantastic prices on the flights and a decent price through AirBnB on a place in Manhattan. Had a couple of friends over for the weekend from London, both of em work for BA. They couldn't believe what I had I paid - less than 400 euros each, everything included and going from Lux via London. They reckon it would be more expensive from London to NY alone. When they realised I was talking euros to boot they almost began to doubt me!

Is that a flight from Ireland via Luxembourg to New York? Who did you go through for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SliM Dedalus

I ran this in 2014 in memory of my sister Triona and to raise funds for Cystic Fibrosis Ireland.

Most definitely the experience of a lifetime!

I wrote a blog about my experience for anyone who is interested? Just private message and I'll send it across. Can't post link as I'm a 'new' user. I'm more of a reader than a poster on here. I'm a novice runner - I don't generally have much to say ;-)

Some of you may remember my sister's story. Her friends organised a Twitter campaign for Ed Sheeran to contact her and she passed away while he sang to her over the phone.

Any questions about logistics etc more than happy to help!

Cona wrote: »
    Is that a flight from Ireland via Luxembourg to New York? Who did you go through for that?

No, Cona. I actually live in Lux!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, anyone here go into the full open lottery? I have a friend who has and I'm wondering when ye expect to know.

3rd of March ... i have my fingers and toes crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm in the lottery too but not holding out much hope.

• Advertisement

Anyone hear any news [re:lottery]?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Anyone hear any news [re:lottery]?

Nope, my credit card is just looking unhealthy as opposed to unhealthy with an extra 300quid gone for the NY marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

I have a pending charge from the NYRR on mine but I'm living in New York so maybe we find out sooner than the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No luck for me. Rejection email this morning.

Yeah, me too ... didn't want to do it anyway!!!
    Best of luck to those who are doing it #luckyducks

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Does anyone have any advice on the transport and baggage options? These are open for selection today and go on a first come first served basis.

Transport:
    I've been told that the Staten Island Ferry is a good transport option.

Baggage:
    I generally check in a bag for races but in this case it looks like miles of walking after you cross the finish line, pick up your bag and then exit the park. Choosing the post-race poncho means its only half a mile to the exit of the park. If the weather is like it was last year (cold and very windy) the poncho may not be warm enough. Anyone know how good these poncho’s are?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Does anyone have any advice on the transport and baggage options? These are open for selection today and go on a first come first served basis.

Transport:
    I've been told that the Staten Island Ferry is a good transport option.

Baggage:
    I generally check in a bag for races but in this case it looks like miles of walking after you cross the finish line, pick up your bag and then exit the park. Choosing the post-race poncho means its only half a mile to the exit of the park. If the weather is like it was last year (cold and very windy) the poncho may not be warm enough. Anyone know how good these poncho’s are?

Thanks.

Takes an age to get to the end but a Drop bag is a must though. You will need to bring stuff to Staten Island as it is quite the hike unless you want to throw everything away. I did have a pair of pennys trackies and flease that I chucked, and boy was I happy I had them. The poncho looked fair poor and I reckoned it would not have been enough.

Get the latest Ferry you can. I was last minute deciding on going due to Mrs. Mc and a mini Mc arrival so ended up getting the first ferry, was a long long cold morning but that was all forgotten about with the race itself.
    But I was glad to get into my own trackies and hoodie and warm up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Takes an age to get to the end but a Drop bag is a must though. You will need to bring stuff to Staten Island as it is quite the hike unless you want to throw everything away. I did have a pair of pennys trackies and flease that I chucked, and boy was I happy I had them. The poncho looked fair poor and I reckoned it would not have been enough.

Get the latest Ferry you can. I was last minute deciding on going due to Mrs. Mc and a mini Mc arrival so ended up getting the first ferry, was a long long cold morning but that was all forgotten about with the race itself.
    But I was glad to get into my own trackies and hoodie and warm up in the end.

Thanks! I've gotten a 6:45 ferry, the latest that was available to me. Leaning towards the poncho though, it couldn't be freezing cold two years in a row!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Thanks! I've gotten a 6:45 ferry, the latest that was available to me. Leaning towards the poncho though, it couldn't be freezing cold two years in a row!:rolleyes:

I've also booked the 6.45am ferry. Haven't gone ahead with the baggage option yet either, but I reckon I'll probably go with the bag check.

Came across a pretty good site for NY marathon info from a character who's run it 36 times :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I've also booked the 6.45am ferry. Haven't gone ahead with the baggage option yet either, but I reckon I'll probably go with the bag check.

Its a long walk after the marathon. It be good it you could get someone to meet ye afterwards? Also get your metro tickets before the day

Just booked the Midtown bus to the start. I dont want the hassle of having to get to the ferry at that hour of the morning...Just hop on the bus and conk out..Dont care how long it takes to get to Staten to be honest...

Now to book a hotel...

Anyone tempted by the Training Plans these generous Yanks are offering?

The VIP ones at $999.99? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

yaboya1 wrote: »

I've done 7 NYC marathons (travelled for 8 if you count 2012) which turned into a marathon pub crawl due to the cancellation.

I would recommend going with no baggage drop. It takes longer to exit after the race and trust me, you will want to exit ASAP.

If you go without the baggage drop you will get a nice NYC Marathon fleece lined poncho that will keep you warm as you walk home.

Usually the subway is free on Marathon Sunday but last year this was not the case.

On exit when you collect your poncho turn left and head to the first subway station, grab the train going the opposite station and go up two stations, then swap and head back the way, it beats the queues to board.

When you arrive at Staten Island it can be very cold, last year was Baltic with the wind. There are a few tents but they fill up quickly. My advice, which we have done for a number of years, go to the religious tent, there are chairs there and you can huddle up. We always have a gang there and end up having a laugh.

Buy some cheap clothes before you head out from a sports authority that you can throw away before the start.

Other than that, it is an amazing race and you will enjoy every minute of it.

Coming off the bridge and turning up first avenue is like running out onto Croke Park.

Have to say the New York Road Runners know how to spam you once you're signed up, when it's not emails abut buying gear, it's emails about signing up for that training program mentioned earlier!

Folks, The Dead Rabbit pub, owned by two Belfast fellas and situated right down by Wall St. has been named Best Bar in the World!! 'Twould be unbecoming of us not to meet for a quart there at some stage.

Folks, The Dead Rabbit pub, owned by two Belfast fellas and situated right down by Wall St. has been named Best Bar in the World!! 'Twould be unbecoming of us not to meet for a quart there at some stage.

Suits me perfectly :)
    I'm staying in Chelsea and heading to a friend's bar in Brooklyn later on in the evening.

So New York people, how's the training going with 7 weeks left?

Mine has been a mixed bag with 2 or 3 weeks that'll make or break me coming up. I've done a few 20 milers but very little at 'Target' pace yet. Tomorrow I'll try 8 to 10 miles at 4.15.(per km btw, not miles) If that goes ok I have a test/dry run marathon in Karlsruhe on the 20th where I'm hoping to do something along the lines of 4.30 pace to Halfway or a bit beyond and then neg split the second half and do so at sub 3 pace.

That's the theory anyway. Whether any of that will work out in real life is another thing. Haven't followed a plan but am doing a small bit of faster stuff midweek. Thursday I did 10k at approx 3.50 pace, maybe more 3.52. Felt ok actually so maybe I'm coming into a bit of form after all.

Will probably do an easy 10 miler today though I'm nursing a bloody blister, can't afford to screw it up before tomorrow's run. So, share them training stories and not TOOO much sandbagging please.

Tomorrow I'll try 8 to 10 miles at 4.15.(per km btw, not miles)

Glad you clarified that. For a minute there I thought you were meeting up with Wilson, Dennis & Eluid for a tempo run :D

• Advertisement

Re: Training

Mine hasn't been great, but a few decent runs this week have led me to believe I'm in better shape than I thought I was. I'm probably not going to pb at this stage, but still hoping to give the race a good lash and get a decent time out of it.

Advertisement