Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Glad you clarified that. For a minute there I thought you were meeting up with Wilson, Dennis & Eluid for a tempo run :D

Yeah, I'm working on a new drier sense of humour. No exclamations marks or smilies.

Will have to sort this blister though. Had to abort today's run as it was getting that bit worse after a few kms. If it doesn't clear up in 24 hours it means putting the Long Run back to Tuesday/Wednesday which is not ideal.

Off to Google 'fastest/best way to treat unpopped blister'.

Yaboya, I haven't really been following your log but I saw you had a couple of problems alright. A fella can make up a lot of ground in 8 weeks once he doesn't try to push too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Bez Bing

My training has been going pretty well, following the P&D 18 week 55 mile p/w plan. Have hit all targets so far but did have a little blip in training when I was back in Ireland on holiday and only managed to get 6 runs in over the two weeks. One week corresponded with a recovery week so that wasn't too bad but I did miss a marathon paced long run.

Have an 18m w 14m @ MP in a couple of weeks which I'm going to run in central park as an organized training run with NYRR and then I have a 1/2 marathon in the Hampton's a couple of weeks after, so those two runs will really tell me where I am.

I'll definitely be glad when to heat and humidity dies down over here!

I think I'm back on track. Sorted the unpopped blister (bath salts in water/talcum powder to dry) and got in 20k at PMP in a 32 k run today. Only caveats would be, flat track and only did 6k E before heading into the target pace stuff. Was happy though, I'll admit. After a few 4.20's most of the stuff was around 4.10 pace. I've noticed how much easier it is without the heat and humidity btw Bez. I struggled on a couple of runs in Spain this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ice9

Hi, myself and my running buddy figured we would enter the lottery seeing as how registration opened on his birthday last january and the race is on mine - Nov 1st. Fate couldn't deny us - and didn't!

We ran Berlin last year and might have met a few of yee but didn't get to any official meets. Might see yee in NY this time.

Training is going ok. Life is getting in the way a bit this time so missing a few on the plan (Hal's Advanced 1). It's about time I decided on a target pace also!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

ice9 wrote: »
    Hi, myself and my running buddy figured we would enter the lottery seeing as how registration opened on his birthday last january and the race is on mine - Nov 1st. Fate couldn't deny us - and didn't!

We ran Berlin last year and might have met a few of yee but didn't get to any official meets. Might see yee in NY this time.

Training is going ok. Life is getting in the way a bit this time so missing a few on the plan (Hal's Advanced 1). It's about time I decided on a target pace also!

You beat me by one second in Berlin. I'm out for revenge in the Big Apple.
    Bring it on! :)

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You beat me by one second in Berlin. I'm out for revenge in the Big Apple.
    Bring it on! :)

When I said I needed to pick my pace I wasn't looking for challenges! :)

Berlin was possibly the toughest thing I ever did. Not sure I have that in me for NY this year. We'll see.

Berlin is worth a couple of mins on paper but if we get a cool day in NY that would cancel that out - Berlin was fairly warm. The time is there for the taking!!

When I said I needed to pick my pace I wasn't looking for challenges! :)

Berlin was possibly the toughest thing I ever did. Not sure I have that in me for NY this year. We'll see.

Berlin is worth a couple of mins on paper but if we get a cool day in NY that would cancel that out - Berlin was fairly warm. The time is there for the taking!!

And a strong Southerly breeze which incredibly disappears as we turn at the 20 mile mark. Does that sound right Bez?

Wind direction is always hard to judge in this city but the for the run up 1st ave we should have whatever wind is about on our back alrite. The 20m point is where we turn in the bronx to come back down 5th and into central park.:cool:

anyone aware of the rumour that there is a hidden danger to those waiting around on the lower deck of the Narrows bridge at the start? The rumour is that some peeing on the upper deck finds it's way to the lower deck.

I'm assuming it's an urban myth that those on the bottom deck get more than they bargained for? (I sincerely hope so!)

Any idea how it's decided which groups go upper and which go lower?

And assuming the pee thing is a myth then is there any real reason to prefer the top over the bottom or vice versa?

(it seems there are 3 routes that only converge after about 10K)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

There are three starts. Two on the top level and one underneath. Orange / Green and Blue.

If you do get the bottom level, just stay on the right side of the lower level. They can only pee off the side. Mostly as they come off the bridge.

A lot of people drink water and when the cold air hits them they need to let go. People are warned about peeing on the bridge so mainly wait till they are off it.

• Advertisement

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    There are three starts. Two on the top level and one underneath. Orange / Green and Blue.

If you do get the bottom level, just stay on the right side of the lower level. They can only pee off the side. Mostly as they come off the bridge.

A lot of people drink water and when the cold air hits them they need to let go. People are warned about peeing on the bridge so mainly wait till they are off it.

Ah man, that sounds like it's true :eek:

Right side it is - hopefully I'm on top deck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

anyone aware of the rumour that there is a hidden danger to those waiting around on the lower deck of the Narrows bridge at the start? The rumour is that some peeing on the upper deck finds it's way to the lower deck.

I'm assuming it's an urban myth that those on the bottom deck get more than they bargained for? (I sincerely hope so!)

Any idea how it's decided which groups go upper and which go lower?

And assuming the pee thing is a myth then is there any real reason to prefer the top over the bottom or vice versa?

(it seems there are 3 routes that only converge after about 10K)

No, it's not an urban myth ! It's mighty crowded at the start and the queue for the toilets get long and there's a fair while waiting in the corals ....so .... p**s happens as they say :D.
    The advantage of the lower deck is that if the weather is nasty you have shelter ... and again you can be hanging about for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    So New York people, how's the training going with 7 weeks left?

Not going great tbh, too many breaks in training cause of getting sick, holidays, hamstring problems and most recently attending to a funeral abroad. Have two half-marathons & the Athlone 3/4 coming up so should be entertaining (for all the wrong reasons!).

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

So New York people, how's the training going with 7 weeks left?

Mine isn't going quite as good as planned. Not able to get the mileage up to what I want or what I did last year. Constantly tired and struggling to get more than 5 runs/week in. At this stage a PB is out the window but will still run the race as hard as I can, would be rude not too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Last few weeks were dissapointing for me as I was very tired and not recovering well enough to be able to train good enough. Anyway, I think I am over it and lessons were learned.

with regards to New York Marathon, whats the finish like? My mrs. will be waiting at the end for me so I will need to arrange to meet her somewhere? How chaotic is it?

Any other tips/hints?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cona wrote: »
    Last few weeks were dissapointing for me as I was very tired and not recovering well enough to be able to train good enough. Anyway, I think I am over it and lessons were learned.

with regards to New York Marathon, whats the finish like? My mrs. will be waiting at the end for me so I will need to arrange to meet her somewhere? How chaotic is it?

Any other tips/hints?

Get her a ticket for in the grand stand, and I think there is a letter section outside ye can meet at?

Thats what we did.

Any other tips/hints?

Pretty chaotic ! It's been a few years since I was at the finish (and that was pre Boston) but it takes time and patience to finish.

For you it depends on whether you choose bag or poncho. If you choose poncho you get to exit the park earlier. Then you need to turn left out of the park onto 8th/Central Park West and walk down to the family meeting area. Thankfully they are back to using initials again - just agree with who you are meeting what initial you are using ! I'd also make a backup plan in case - the cops have been known to abruptly close streets off making getting to the meeting area a problem.

If you have baggage then it takes longer. It's (unless things have changed) about a mile after the finish line to get to the bag check. Then you exit the park ... turn left and have probably a 1.5 mile walk back.

Not sure what the story is on the finish line stands - I looked into it once but I think it was pretty expensive and once there it you are stuck for the duration. If Mrs is spectating - try 1st avenue, then walk over to 5th, then go south around the park to the meeting area. That's what I'd did the times Mrs P ran it.

http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/race-day/the-finishpost-finish

Thanks for the info..I stupidly selected a "Bag Check" and now its too late to change the option. And I will still be heralded to the bag check area even if I don't check a bag. Estimates are 1 hour to get out of this area :(

Thanks for the info..I stupidly selected a "Bag Check" and now its too late to change the option. And I will still be heralded to the bag check area even if I don't check a bag. Estimates are 1 hour to get out of this area :(

I _think_ you could take the early exit .... but then you could be walking around in NY in November cold and wet ( and poncho less ). Not a great situation depending on the weather. It is still going to take time to exit the finish area so it might not be that much of a difference. Baggage collection is a bit of lottery - NYRR did try to eliminate it a few years ago but had to back off after a revolt from local runners.

For what it is worth I opted to check a bag.

42.2k done in Karlsruhe yesterday in 3.05.48

Very even splits which is kinda good though it was supposed to be 1.35/1.30, turned into 1.33/1.32

Happy, though still feel a bit off sub 3.

PB though so can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good man Itzi!
    Plenty of time to find a few extra minutes by the time NY rolls around in November!

42.2k done in Karlsruhe yesterday in 3.05.48

Great stuff, congrats on the pb!

After a painful half in Athlone, was happy that my hamstring held itself together to let me run in Charleville yesterday without having to take walk-breaks. Five mins slower than last year but happy with the outcome :)

The Athlone 3/4 will be the final test before NY in two weeks time.

Any suggestions on a half decent camera that could be used to record the marathon while running? It would have to be something discreet that wouldn't affect my running...not sure if a GoPro would be small and light enough

Just over a month to go :eek:

How're things going for everyone? I'm slowly getting back a modicum of fitness & my errant hamstring is fixing itself but think it's too little too late. The 3/4 in Athlone will be a good yardstick I guess so hopefully won't end in tears!

Well, I'm more or less on target I think. Karlsruhe went well enough though I don't think sub 3 feels any closer really. My big call is whether to do a marathon on my doorstep here 2 weeks before New York where I go all out and then just jog NYC.

I'm 50/50 on it at the moment.

Been very happy with my last couple of weeks training, did an 18m w 14 @ PMP two weeks ago and it went very well and then did a 1/2 marathon race at the weekend and picked up a PB.
    Feeling good about a sub 3:30 effort.

Well, I'm more or less on target I think. Karlsruhe went well enough though I don't think sub 3 feels any closer really. My big call is whether to do a marathon on my doorstep here 2 weeks before New York where I go all out and then just jog NYC.

Why not go all out in NY, just wondering? Glad to hear you're on target!
    Bez Bing wrote: »
    Been very happy with my last couple of weeks training, did an 18m w 14 @ PMP two weeks ago and it went very well and then did a 1/2 marathon race at the weekend and picked up a PB.
    Feeling good about a sub 3:30 effort.

Great stuff, looking good so!

opus wrote: »
    Why not go all out in NY, just wondering? Glad to hear you're on target!

The logic there would be that NY can be tough especially if windy and cool. Then there's the congestion and the fact that the family will want to make it a holiday as opposed to a marathon trip.

But if I don't do Echternach (105 signed up for full so far, so congestion wouldn't be as bad!), then I will give New York a lash.

The logic there would be that NY can be tough especially if windy and cool. Then there's the congestion and the fact that the family will want to make it a holiday as opposed to a marathon trip.

Makes sense, a friend of mine ran NY last year & she said she was almost blown sideways at times with the wind!

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Makes sense, a friend of mine ran NY last year & she said she was almost blown sideways at times with the wind!

New York weather is so unpredictable this time of year.
    Friday it was lashing down with really strong winds (tail end of a hurricane) and now this week they are giving it sunny in the mid 70s (20's C)

Advertisement