Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Came across this video of the course last night so thought I'd post it to whet everyone's appetite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Wave and Coral info now available in your NY RR account, just log in and click on Race Details (blue link).

I'm starting in Blue Wave 2 corral F @ 10:15am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Orange Wave 1 Corral A, 9.50 start.

Wave 1, corral A. Sounds like NYRR are more optimistic than me about my performance in this race.

I wasn't getting excited until I saw this........ Thanks Bez!

Training coming along. No complaints so far although taper still to go. Must decide on last long workout for this weekend. The famous 5,4,3,2,1 Tergat session? Too much perhaps. Was also thinking of 10k easy, 10k just above PMP and 10k just below it.

Any thoughts?

Itziger wrote: »
    Orange Wave 1 Corral A, 9.50 start.

Wave 1, corral A. Sounds like NYRR are more optimistic than me about my performance in this race.

I wasn't getting excited until I saw this........ Thanks Bez!

Training coming along. No complaints so far although taper still to go. Must decide on last long workout for this weekend. The famous 5,4,3,2,1 Tergat session? Too much perhaps. Was also thinking of 10k easy, 10k just above PMP and 10k just below it.

Any thoughts?

Whats your target time Itziger? Sounds like I will have a bit of traffic to deal with but at least I'm in the first group of the wave.

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Whats your target time Itziger? Sounds like I will have a bit of traffic to deal with but at least I'm in the first group of the wave.

Target is the famous 2.59.59. We shall see. 3.05 I can do but the one time I gave 2.59 a lash in last year's Frankfurt marathon I blew up.

But I'm older and wiser now ;)

I'll be picking your brains on a couple of details like meeting the folks and getting back across town after race. We're staying on East 76th.

• Advertisement

Sure fire away with the questions. I live on the Upper east side also so I know the area very well.

I had been targeting sub 3:30 but my training has gone well and I think I have a sub 3:20 in me hmmmm ....

Sure fire away with the questions. I live on the Upper east side also so I know the area very well.

I had been targeting sub 3:30 but my training has gone well and I think I have a sub 3:20 in me hmmmm ....

Cool, couple of stores, restaurants, bars and delis so that you'd recommend! I've visited New York half a dozen times or more but Upper East Side wouldn't be too familiar with. I think we're between 2nd and 3rd.

You'd be mad not to go for sub 3.20.

Itziger wrote: »
    Cool, couple of stores, restaurants, bars and delis so that you'd recommend! I've visited New York half a dozen times or more but Upper East Side wouldn't be too familiar with. I think we're between 2nd and 3rd.

You'd be mad not to go for sub 3.20.

You're in a decent spot, there are some great bars on 2nd between 80th and 86th.
    Some Id recommend:
    The Penrose (one of my fav bars),
    Bondurants (great craft beer selection),
    Supply House (good for NFL),
    5 mile stone all on 3rd ave between 80th and 86th.

Delis are on every corner and you wont really go wrong with any.
    Def get a chicken parm sandwich!
    H&H is a great spot for bagels on 2nd between 80th & 81st.

Uva is a nice little Italian restaurant and on 3rd.
    Also Pizza beach is a cool pizza bar on 3rd around 80th street.

If you like your meat there's a great Argentinian place called Libertador on 89th and 2nd or try Texas De Brazil on 60th and 3rd.

Further a field I would recommend checking out the Dead Rabbit in the Financial District.
    It's run by two lads from Belfast and has won loads of awards for cocktails.

I really like the East Village and West Village as areas to check out, again lots of great bars and restaurants in both neighborhoods.

A brunch spot I like is The Smith on 2nd around 50th street.

If you're looking for any particular recommendations let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Wave and Coral info now available in your NY RR account, just log in and click on Race Details (blue link).

I'm starting in Blue Wave 2 corral F @ 10:15am.

Thanks for this. Wouldn't have known otherwise. I'm in Wave 1 Corral A thankfully as I hear there are some bottle necks coming off the Verrazano bridge.

Training not going great. First run back today in 2 weeks after a chest infection. Not great timing but better than during the marathon. Training before that wasn't great either but some blood work pointed to low iron which will hopefully be the cause of my problems. Probably a bit too late for NY but we'll see.

Great list of recommendations there Bez Bing. More importantly though, what pub/bar would you recommend for meeting up after the marathon? We are staying 30-32 West 31st Street so somewhere close to that would be good :D I'd say it'll be later in the day when we're ready to meet as we'll all want to lie down after walking for so long to get out of Central Park.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

More importantly though, what pub/bar would you recommend for meeting up after the marathon? We are staying 30-32 West 31st Street so somewhere close to that would be good :D I'd say it'll be later in the day when we're ready to meet as we'll all want to lie down after walking for so long to get out of Central Park.:rolleyes:

Personally I'd be game for a beer/food immediately after - preferably midtown where it will be easier to get around. Once I head home to shower etc, I doubt I'd be able to haul myself back out into the city again.

Blue Wave 1 Corral D.

Might have been a bit optimistic with my target time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm also in Wave 1 Corral A. I'm only going to bring some cash/cards with me and leave my phone behind as I've gone for the post-race poncho option, so I'd need to know before race day where exactly we're going if it's straight after the race. I'm staying in Chelsea (27th St).

Green Wave 1 Corral A for me.

I went for the poncho option as well & am hoping one of the people travelling me will meet me with my bag. We're staying in a hostel on 8th Avenue a few block from Central Park so will head back there for a shower afterwards before partaking in a few beverages.

Afraid my knowledge of NY is close to zilch so counting on someone to suggest a suitable hostelry for post-race celebrations :)

What's the difference in Corral colours lads? I'm in Orange - Wave 1 - Corral A

Bit annoyed I'm in the second wave, seems I'm in with the 3:45 when I'm targeting 3:20 - 3:30 so I wont have the pace group for 3:20 as they are in the first wave. My own fault looks like I put down 3:45 at some stage.

Anyway, seems like everyone is pretty spread-out throughout the city.

The races finishes on the upper west side and I'm not overly familiar with that neighborhood.
    Hopefully you all went for the poncho option?? Otherwise you could be a long time getting out of the park!

I'd be up for a beer/food after the race alright.

What are people plans around the expo?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    What's the difference in Corral colours lads? I'm in Orange - Wave 1 - Corral A

Blue and Orange start on top of the bridge, green underneath.
    Better view from the top and there's also an urban legend that you may get pi$$ed on from runners on top if you are on the bottom. :eek:

Bit annoyed I'm in the second wave, seems I'm in with the 3:45 when I'm targeting 3:20 - 3:30 so I wont have the pace group for 3:20 as they are in the first wave. My own fault looks like I put down 3:45 at some stage.

Anyway, seems like everyone is pretty spread-out throughout the city.

The races finishes on the upper west side and I'm not overly familiar with that neighborhood.
    Hopefully you all went for the poncho option?? Otherwise you could be a long time getting out of the park!

I'd be up for a beer/food after the race alright.

Poncho option for me too. I'll be up for immediate post-race refreshments :).
    Hoping to get to the expo before it closes on Friday if possible, otherwise will go early on Saturday.

Better view from the top and there's also an urban legend that you may get pi$$ed on from runners on top if you are on the bottom. :eek:

Nice!
    No golden showers for me so :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Never noticed the colour. I'm in orange so no golden showers for me either :)
    Planning on doing that the Friday, most likely late afternoon.

Hmmm I'll keep an eye out for any 'rain' from above so seeing I'm on the bottom of the bridge :)

Travelling on Fri so the my expo visit will be on Sat. My plan is to stick to Irish time 'til Sunday to make getting up early seem normal.

Anyone planning a couple of miles easy on fri or sat in NYC? Central park maybe?

• Advertisement

Anyone planning a couple of miles easy on fri or sat in NYC? Central park maybe?

I'd probably be up for that.

Bez, I might do a couple of miles in the Park on Sat morning. Travelling Friday so won't be picking up the bib till Sat. Hope to get in and out of the Expo as quickly as possible.

I'll have to play all the 'after beers' thing by ear as I'm with wife and two kids. I remember the last time we went there as a family though, the rest were all exhausted by about 9 pm. Not saying I won't be as well! But there might be a window of opportunity some evening for a jar or two. We're flying back on Wednesday.

Well there's the 5k dash to the finish on Oct 31st in the park so it would be best to try to avoid that:
    http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2015/nyrr-dash-to-the-finish-line-5k

But if we were to meet at say engineers gate at 90th and 5th (its actually where the marathon enters the park) at 9am we could get a few easy miles in around the reservoir.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir//40.7841809,-73.9590168/@40.7825396,-74.0301445,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

Let me know if that would work for you guys.

Well there's the 5k dash to the finish on Oct 31st in the park so it would be best to try to avoid that:

But if we were to meet at say engineers gate at 90th and 5th (its actually where the marathon enters the park) at 9am we could get a few easy miles in around the reservoir.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir//40.7841809,-73.9590168/@40.7825396,-74.0301445,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Any Baseball fans here? Very good chance the Mets will be in the final. Would only add to the atmosphere.

Went to a Mets game back in 1984!

I see they don't believe in a free breakfast run unlike other marathons I've been to! Probably going to try and hit the expo first thing on Sat morning so won't make a 9am jog although my plan is for a little jog around the park later on Saturday sometime depending on when I get back.

Too soon to start checking the weather ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    I see they don't believe in a free breakfast run unlike other marathons I've been to!

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/breakfast-run/
    I suppose you do get a fry-up though!

opus wrote: »
    I see they don't believe in a free breakfast run unlike other marathons I've been to! Probably going to try and hit the expo first thing on Sat morning so won't make a 9am jog although my plan is for a little jog around the park later on Saturday sometime depending on when I get back.

Too soon to start checking the weather ;)

Yeah, I'll be looking to get to the Expo first thing as well. I might actually do 2 miles or so earlier than that, depending on sleeping pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Don't forget you have the extra hours sleep with the clocks going back early Sunday morning in the US on the 1st of Nov.

Advertisement