Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll be looking to get to the Expo first thing as well. I might actually do 2 miles or so earlier than that, depending on sleeping pattern.

Seeing as I'm going to try and keep to Irish time as much as possible that could be a plan. Would you be planning to head to Central Park? I'm around two blocks away from Colombus Circle which is at one corner of it.

It's a ~20 min walk to the expo from the hostel so that makes life easier for me. Looks like there's a free shuttle bus as well in case I don't feel like walking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Seeing as I'm going to try and keep to Irish time as much as possible that could be a plan. Would you be planning to head to Central Park? I'm around two blocks away from Colombus Circle which is at one corner of it.

It's a ~20 min walk to the expo from the hostel so that makes life easier for me. Looks like there's a free shuttle bus as well in case I don't feel like walking :)

Yeah, there's a great chance I'll be up at 6 or before on Saturday. The last time I was in New York I remember being wide awake well before that for the first 2 or 3 days anyway. So, a few kms in the park, back to shower and then metro or cab down to the Expo. I'll probably be heading into the park at the 72nd st entrance on East Side. I'll wear a Peoples Republic of Cork red top!!

Yeah, there's a great chance I'll be up at 6 or before on Saturday. The last time I was in New York I remember being wide awake well before that for the first 2 or 3 days anyway. So, a few kms in the park, back to shower and then metro or cab down to the Expo. I'll probably be heading into the park at the 72nd st entrance on East Side. I'll wear a Peoples Republic of Cork red top!!

Sounds like a plan, still got your number from Frankfurt last year so I'll fire you a text on Friday evening. Haven't decided what to wear myself yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Just in from my last long run in the park and I caught the tail end of the NYRR five mile marathon kickoff.
    The stands and pavilion are all setup and the finish line and the park are all looking well. Also took in a few mile of the route up 1st avenue.

It was 50F and sunny today with very little wind (singlet and shorts weather) and if thats what we get next week we are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

My training for this has been woeful. So bad in fact, that I've very low expectations and have now just resigned myself to enjoying it. Got a long run of almost 20 miles in last weekend, so at least I shouldn't have an issue completing. How long that will take is an entirely different thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Live from 2.30pm next Sunday on Eurosport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Anyone decided on what they will be wearing for this yet? I am normally a singlet man, but the 'potential' cold is putting me off. Anyone like to shadow a guess on the weather yet :) ?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    My training for this has been woeful. So bad in fact, that I've very low expectations and have now just resigned myself to enjoying it. Got a long run of almost 20 miles in last weekend, so at least I shouldn't have an issue completing. How long that will take is an entirely different thing!

You and me both! Had high hopes for NY last June but had to take time off training cause of some 'non-running' stuff and then did something nasty to my hamstring when I stupidly thought I could just pick up when I left off. Ah well it should be a fantastic experience anyway :)
    Cona wrote: »
    Anyone decided on what they will be wearing for this yet? I am normally a singlet man, but the 'potential' cold is putting me off. Anyone like to shadow a guess on the weather yet :) ?

Managed to avoid any weather checking 'til this morning & it doesn't look too bad? Friend of mine ran it last year & she said she was almost blown over on the briges so looks like much better conditions this time round.

Accuweather & YR.

Any suggestions on a location for a few post-run beverages on the Sunday?

Looks fairly mild that. Mightn't bring as many tops as I was thinking of. Haven't ever done a full in a singlet but I bought the most comfortable lightest singlet you can imagine earlier this year. Am tempted to go with that if the temps are mid teens.

(I see my two 'pacers' are deserting me: Thanks Opus and Yaboya)

I can't commit to post race drinks as I'm with wife and two kids. I'll keep in touch though and hopefully grab a couple at some stage, maybe watching the Mets clinch the baseball series.

Bez, what's the best way to get to Ferry terminal at that hour, bus, metro or cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Last Sunday looked like a similar day. At 10am it was around 55f ... so about 12C at the start. The high is 66f ... so figure probably low 60s at the finish ... about 15-17C. There are showers predicted for the morning which might make things a bit messy at Staten Island.

Btw, for anyone staying downtown - the night before is Halloween, which is huge, loud and highly entertaining .... but probably not great prep for the marathon. You might want to plan you evening to avoid the area (Villiage to 14th being the worst).

Also ...not sure if anyone has plan yet, but I plan to stop at the Heartland Brewery (625 8th Ave - near the PA on 42nd) soon after I finish. There's beer and food and it's far away from the finish to not be completely overrun (hopefully). I'm probably meeting a couple of guys I run with there too. Don't know if this suits anyone, but I'm throwing it out there.

• Advertisement

Bez, what's the best way to get to Ferry terminal at that hour, bus, metro or cab?

Presume your not availing of the Marathon Bus pickup that drops to the Ferry then? Our bus is scheduled for 5.30AM outside the New York Library which isnt too far from where we are staying but its an early start!!

Presume your not availing of the Marathon Bus pickup that drops to the Ferry then? Our bus is scheduled for 5.30AM outside the New York Library which isnt too far from where we are staying but its an early start!!

Doesn't that bus go directly to Staten Island ? It's a different option when you make the transportation selection.

The only subway option is the 4 or 5. (The 1 and 2 are not running below the WTC it seems). Check out
    http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx
    Cab might be the easiest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

You and me both! Had high hopes for NY last June but had to take time off training cause of some 'non-running' stuff and then did something nasty to my hamstring when I stupidly thought I could just pick up when I left off. Ah well it should be a fantastic experience anyway :)

Training for me has been bad too and I'm not feeling any fresher in the legs either with an extended taper. Was targeting a 1 sec PB, when that went out the window I was thinking sub 3 but from recent running form that is touch and go.

Managed to avoid any weather checking 'til this morning & it doesn't look too bad? Friend of mine ran it last year & she said she was almost blown over on the briges so looks like much better conditions this time round.

Accuweather & YR.

The weather forecasting accuracy over here is terrible!! Unfortunately too early to predict yet but at least its not looking like it'll be down at freezing temps.

So it looks like the only pb's being set in New York on Sunday will be in the bar :D

Any suggestions on a location for a few post-run beverages on the Sunday?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Also ...not sure if anyone has plan yet, but I plan to stop at the Heartland Brewery (625 8th Ave - near the PA on 42nd) soon after I finish. There's beer and food and it's far away from the finish to not be completely overrun (hopefully). I'm probably meeting a couple of guys I run with there too. Don't know if this suits anyone, but I'm throwing it out there.

As good a suggestion as any. I'd be up for that (though I too have a wife and baby in tow.)

That place works nicely for me as it's only a ~15 min walk from the hostel (which is handily between the finish & there!).
    Doesn't that bus go directly to Staten Island ? It's a different option when you make the transportation selection.

The only subway option is the 4 or 5. (The 1 and 2 are not running below the WTC it seems). Check out
    http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx
    Cab might be the easiest option.

I'm planning on taking the subway to the ferry on Sunday morning, seems straightforward and looks to be ~30 mins or so (57 St - 7 Av -> Whitehall Street).

Let me know if I'm missing anything obvious here!

I'll go wherever the crowd's going, but will need to arrange beforehand as I'm not bringing a phone having opted for the post-race poncho.

So it looks like the only pb's being set in New York on Sunday will be in the bar :D

I'm hoping for a PB! Currently 3.05.45 from 6 weeks ago.

Plan is a 6 min pb .....................

That place works nicely for me as it's only a ~15 min walk from the hostel (which is handily between the finish & there!).

I'm planning on taking the subway to the ferry on Sunday morning, seems straightforward and looks to be ~30 mins or so (57 St - 7 Av -> Whitehall Street).

What line is that Opus? I believe Bez said, and I saw somewhere else (probably http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html) that only 4 and 5 train is going to South Ferry.

• Advertisement

What line is that Opus? I believe Bez said, and I saw somewhere else (probably http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html) that only 4 and 5 train is going to South Ferry.

Ah here now, this is just filling me with even more self doubt :)

16i8tux.jpg

My ferry is at 6.15 so this gives me ~25 mins to make it the few hundred metres to the terminal. Am I missing something blindingly obvious :confused:

I'll go wherever the crowd's going, but will need to arrange beforehand as I'm not bringing a phone having opted for the post-race poncho.

I think I'd prefer a pot-race poncho meself ;)

It looks like you are relying on the R line. I may be wrong, but I am not sure that that runs on weekends - It's not a line I ever take so I had to look it up. see http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/pdf/trcur.pdf

At the least I'd ask at the expo, your hotel and double check at the station if you can find a human.

EDIT: Just seen the posts above. Yeah, I'm not sure about the R but the trip planner suggests I'm wrong

The stop on the 4 and 5 (green line) is Bowling Green, very short walk to ferry from there (approx 1min)

Im not familar with the R line but if in doubt I would say grab a cab.

BTW weather forecast is for a very mild day (mid 60'sF) and the showers previously forecast look less and less likely.
    I find the forecast over here is usually pretty accurate.

Delighted with the weather reports so far, hoping I can wear my singlet and not freeze to death...

Am hoping to go sub 3.15, but have no idea. Always fear for the last 3 or 4 miles and the inevitable slow down

From marathon website
    http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/transportation-to-the-start
    Please note that on race day, the 1 train will not be operating between 14th Street and South Ferry. The 2 and 3 trains will serve local stations between 34th Street and Chambers Street; no trains will run between Chambers Street and South Ferry.

We recommend the following options for runners traveling to South Ferry for Staten Island Ferry transportation to the start:

- 4/5 to Bowling Green (short walk to Staten Island Ferry)

- N (until 6:30 a.m.) or R (after 6:30 a.m.) to Whitehall (short walk to Staten Island Ferry)

For the latest New York City public transportation updates, visit MTA Trip Planner.

So my thinking is ok then? Will check at the station anyway on Sat to be sure.

Hopefully catch up to some/all of you in the Heartland Brewery afterwards. I'll wear a MarathonTalk 26.2 t-shirt to make me easy to spot.

So my thinking is ok then? Will check at the station anyway on Sat to be sure.

Hopefully catch up to some/all of you in the Heartland Brewery afterwards. I'll wear a MarathonTalk 26.2 t-shirt to make me easy to spot.

I think you're good to go but always good to double check.

So would that be the "classic black" or what colour? ;)

Hope to meet as many of ye as possible in Heartland Brewery afterwards too. I'll have a Boston marathon jacket (2013, blue with yellow stripes version) on the back of a chair or something.

• Advertisement

I should be wearing this shirt at the Heartland (front and back). I am a bag check guy so I probably will not get there until after 3pm. Possibly later if I decide to roll the dice and blow up :rolleyes:.

front.jpg

Advertisement